• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Man spends 27 years wrongly imprisoned writing songs

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
"I was arrested for murder on August 26, 1981, for a crime I didn't commit," Dillon tells his audience as he starts strumming his guitar. "I was released on November 18, 2008. Thank you to the keepers of justice."

(...)

It was Dillon's life story and not his music that moved Grammy Award winning music producer Jim Tullio to invite Dillon to his Chicago studio to record the songs he wrote in prison.

(...)

It was August 17, 1981, when James Dvorak was found murdered on a Florida beach. The beach was in an area Dillon frequented. The police questioned Dillon about the murder and eventually investigators charged him for Dvorak's death.

The 27 years Dillon spent behind bars tested his will to survive. "I contemplated suicide many, many times." He says that 12 years into his life sentence, he decided to let go of the anger. It was difficult for a man who eventually learned he would be paroled in 2043, when he would be in his 80s.

(...)

Florida has a compensation law that pays $50,000 per year to those who are classified as wrongfully incarcerated. Dillon, like almost all the Innocence Project of Florida's 13 DNA cases, doesn't qualify for the money.

In order to receive compensation in Florida, an exonerated person must have "clean hands." This means the person cannot have a felony on record from before they were wrongfully imprisoned.

"When I was 19 years old I got caught with a Quaalude and a joint in my pocket with nine college kids coming from a bottle club at 4 o'clock in the morning," says Dillon. Dillon believes that arrest cost him more than $1.3 million from the state.

cont at
http://articles.cnn.com/2011-05-28/...-william-michael-dillon-dna-evidence?_s=PM:US

thats why we need horible virus or nuclear war to put us into stone age so shit like this would stop happening

thats such bullshit.....i would be livid....so livid that i would most likely end up in prison for a murder i DID commit

Memphis hit it right on the fucking head. I'd end up back in prison for going ape shit in a courtroom with a shotgun.

Just another example of how fucked up the justice system can be...

Being wrongfully charged itself is such a fucking joke and it makes the system look like there is a flaw... Sure this was a while ago when he was charged but come on, give the guy a little bit o money atleast! It's not like they can give him back the years he spent in jail when he was innocent in the first place. What a SHAME!

that does suck. 28 years is a long fucking time. not like a joint and qualude make anyone a bad person undeserving of compensation, which fails to come close to making up for what he lost.

the us is so fucked up... reminds me of california laws of search and siezure where if u are hanging out with anyone who is on probation the police have a right to search ur car and apartment/house wo a warrant. but obviously this florida case is much much worse.

This is so freaking funny and something that can only happen in here.

People more pissed that the guy is not gonna get paid than the fact that he spent 27 years locked up... Lolzzzz

I don't think anybody thinks it's worse that he didn't get the money than that he was wrongly imprisoned for so long. Everyone's heard stories of wrongful imprisonment though; I've never heard about financial compensation for it so that's what I commented on

Classic example of the Justice System totally fucking up and taking half a lifetime to correct it, then just say "Oh sorry we stole 27 years from you, have a good one bro!"

Makes me sick.

I wonder how many people were wrongly sentenced to death & life in prison before DNA testing was invented. 8(