• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Propranolol?

StaySedated

Bluelighter
i've been scripted propranolol for anxiety(to add to my benzos) and a friend says it has abuse potential. that interested me(of course) but i don't know much about it and would like some info on it.

my questions are:

does it have any recreational potential?

what exactly does it do/how does it make you feel(what are it's psychoactive effects, either recreational or not recreational)?

how does it work?

also, does anybody else have any experience with it?

i dont think it can be used recreationally. It just lowers your bodys stress repsonses. I dont think it ha any sedative effects like benzos. I was prescribed it once and and couldnt even feel it. Look it up online, but im fairly certain it was used as a blood pressure med or something, nothing like a sedative or anything. Thats just my recollection

I was prescribed propranolol for physical anxiety symptoms(hands shaking, etc.) when I was 16 years old. Didn't use it for a long time.

It does not have any abuse potential, in fact it causes dysphoria in some people.

Interestingly, it also has a local anesthetic effect like cocaine.

Propranolol is a non-selective beta-blocker used to treat hypertension.

It has 0 abuse or recreational potential.

i dont think it can be used recreationally. It just lowers your bodys stress repsonses. I dont think it ha any sedative effects like benzos. I was prescribed it once and and couldnt even feel it. Look it up online, but im fairly certain it was used as a blood pressure med or something, nothing like a sedative or anything. Thats just my recollection

it is used as a blood pressure medication and some guy got disqualified from the summer olympics for using it, thats all i know about it.

i'd think if it lowers your body's stress response it would have some worthwhile effects.

Well after a 10 second google search Propranolol is a beta blocker (reduces effect of adrenaline on beta receptors) with seemingly very little recreational potential. It appears in high doses it creates more adrenaline which has nowhere to go but alpha receptors which might make a bit of a high?

I was prescribed propranolol for physical anxiety symptoms(hands shaking, etc.) when I was 16 years old. Didn't use it for a long time.

It does not have any abuse potential, in fact it causes dysphoria in some people.

Interestingly, it also has a local anesthetic effect like cocaine.

dysphoria, local anesthetic effect; this stuff sounds kind of weird.

i've been scripted propranolol for anxiety(to add to my benzos) and a friend says it has abuse potential. that interested me(of course) but i don't know much about it and would like some info on it.

my questions are:

does it have any recreational potential?

what exactly does it do/how does it make you feel(what are it's psychoactive effects, either recreational or not recreational)?

how does it work?

also, does anybody else have any experience with it?
Nope, not even a shred of abuse potential.

Moreover it can work really well for certain types of anxiety (particularly panic), but the downside is that at times when there's little anxiety you can feel sort of weak and slightly short of breath due to it lowering your blood pressure quite a bit.

Keep an eye on that, if the panic/anxiety clears up and you start getting problems such as dizziness when standing up too fast (postural hypotension) or mild shortness of breath. Otherwise it can be fabulous for panic, in my experience. It just prevents your heart from beating fast, blood pressure from going up, and all the associated physical symptoms.

Nope, not even a shred of abuse potential.

Moreover it can work really well for certain types of anxiety (particularly panic), but the downside is that at times when there's little anxiety you can feel sort of weak and slightly short of breath due to it lowering your blood pressure quite a bit.

Keep an eye on that, if the panic/anxiety clears up and you start getting problems such as dizziness when standing up too fast (postural hypotension) or mild shortness of breath. Otherwise it can be fabulous for panic, in my experience. It just prevents your heart from beating fast, blood pressure from going up, and all the associated physical symptoms.

not a shred of abuse potential? damn.

well it being good for panic is good, would it help with acute panic attacks(will it work if i take it when a panic attack hits)?

it is used as a blood pressure medication and some guy got disqualified from the summer olympics for using it, thats all i know about it.

i'd think if it lowers your body's stress response it would have some worthwhile effects.

Some people use propranolol as performance enhancer in shooting sports, because it help keep the hands steady.

how would it work for the anxiety and other negative effects of stimulant comedowns?

not a shred of abuse potential? damn.

well it being good for panic is good, would it help with acute panic attacks(will it work if i take it when a panic attack hits)?
No, there's no high to it at all (that I can recall)... none. It just blocks the affects of adrenaline on the body, like with panic attacks. And I think it needs to be taken regularly, i.e. a one-off dose wouldn't help near as much.

Re: stims, it's not recommended, as it slows the heart down but doesn't prevent it from beating harder... so can raise blood pressure and make stims more dangerous. It's a totally "physical" drug with no mental component (i.e. high) at all, like an antibiotic or whatever.

Last edited:
No, there's no high to it at all (that I can recall)... none. It just blocks the affects of adrenaline on the body, like with panic attacks. And I think it needs to be taken regularly, i.e. a one-off dose wouldn't help near as much.

Re: stims, it's not recommended, as it slows the heart down but doesn't prevent it from beating harder... so can raise blood pressure and make stims more dangerous.

so i can't take it when a panic attack hits like a fast acting benzo?

the stimulant thing sucks considering i have ADHD and have a pretty big amphetamine habit. i guess i'll have to stick with benzos for that.

so i can't take it when a panic attack hits like a fast acting benzo?
Ask the doctor about that one... don't feel comfortable giving advice, as it's a pretty potent drug.

All I can say is it worked well for me w/panic attacks, possibly the first med that actually helped much (was taking it regularly, not one-off). I remember there was no need to "believe it was gonna work", it just worked.

I take this stuff, works at times and completely fails at others. Today some scary shit happened to me, I had taken 80mg in a 6 hour period and as I was sat down, I basically couldn't feel the sole of my right foot because there was no blood flow down there.... I was on a packed train, so had to stay seated, and I finally got to stand up and the blood flow returned to my sole and I gained feeling in my right foot. Be careful with this stuff and don't take if you have low blood pressure.

Propranolol+benzo is a super combo from what I've heard. And no, it has 0 recreational value in my opinion. I actually dislike taking the stuff.

It stop's your body's stress reactions getting the best of you when your having a panic attack or about to have one. Like everyone said, it has 0 abuse/fun potential, in fact if your asthmatic like myself it can cause an attack. As far as beta blockers go it's not even a good one.