Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What is your opinion of 5-HTP?

dropped

Bluelighter
Sorry to bring this topic about pre and post loading with 5-HTP, but...
I've bought the drug and have used it and found it to have NO effect at all. AM I THE ONLY ONE?
OR does everyone who uses this think that they do benifit when rolling after preloading on 5-HTP.
Also, what are some of the different things that you guys eat before you have a big night, that you've found to be really good to get you through the evening feeling well?
-dropped

5-HTP dues work wonders for me. I dont get nearly as bad as I did before I started useing it. I used to brake down and cry for no reason other then my weekend activities.
I pre-load with 200mgs the day before I roll and post-load for about 4 or 5 days with 100mgs.
On the comedown I normally eat strawberries, it tends to bring me back up. There just so ezy to eat. I dont know what it is but there my god sent...
Plus, you'll find that you'll become everyones best friend once they know you have then...

did you used to get bad comedowns?
I never get comedowns only because i never go out 2 nights in a row and i usually try taking it easy when i do go out. Although I found that my peak was stronger or longer after 5-htp, and i only need half as much to bring this on...eg half. I used to have 1 for a good night although i have found that with about 50mg(5htp)for a couple days before going out i enjoy it just as much with 1/2.
Remember, on the comedown, just because you don't conciously feel the h5tp working doesn't mean its not. I am exactly the same i don't get comedowns so couldn't notice a difference at all, although it WILL be replenishing your seretonin. Higher seretonin WILL be preventing any possible damage caused by re-uptaking dopamine via your seretonin transporters which is bad mmmkay. Stick with the 5-htp.
Also the previous bluelighter(dropped) mentioned he/she takes 200mg, a couple days, prior to going out. The bottle i have says never take more than 5-htp 100mg a day unless under medical recommendation...I think sticking to 100mg a day and under to preload is a safe bet?
be safe.

^^^^^^^
It might be from the fact that most people feel a bit sick (well me and some of friends do anyway) when taking 200mg at once..
I usually take 100mg on Friday, 200mg (separated by about 2 hours, so I don't feel queasy) on Saturday, have my pill, then another 200mg on Sunday...
I have definately noticed the difference that 5HTP makes during and after the roll.
The peak seems alot smoother and happier, and I feel pretty good the next day..
On the other hand, if I take excessive amounts (over 2 pills), then I'm going to feel like shit the next day, no matter how much 5HTP I take..
I also make it a rule now, if I've got no 5-HTP, I can't take any pills.. Period..
I just hope my bottle makes it here before Adam Freeland does.
smile.gif

Richie..

i find it no use as a preload, if anything it desensitises (sp?) me a little. However taken for a couple of days afterwards it definitely reduces the fuzzy head feeling, the short memory crappiness and general feeling of well being is increased.

for me, preloading dulls the peak quite alot, and doesnt improve the feeling at all.
postloading is a joy! it makes you feel so much better in the coming days, even after only a single 100mg cap. highly recommended.
8)

i agree with mr E Moore and FST, i think that 5HTP is of limited use as a pre-load, but as a post load i find it vrey very useful. i only ever take 1, 100mg cap on any day, and only for a max of 2 days after the event... this works for me.
there is a thread somewhere about the dangers of taking too much 5HTP, it's around somewhere and someone with more time should bump it or post a link to it, it gives heaps of info about what can happen with excessive use, and not just serotonin syndrome either...
have fun, party hard, and take your 5HTP in the morning...
stay safe peoples. mmm... taco?
------------------
mmm... stuff???

I have a big enough break inbetween my little MDxx adventures that i don't think i need to pre-load. tho i do post-load and find that it does seem to make the next week more bearable.
Although of late, my comedowns have been very very smooth, post-load or not.
Maxi

p l a c e b o.
------------------
... "wisest is he who knows that he does not know" ... "someone prove i exist" ... asparagus? ...

This is all good but is there anyone out there that has no affect from 5-HTP at all like dropped??
I haven't started on this little wonder....yet
go taco..
------------------
If you meet someone without a smile, give them one of your own.
[This message has been edited by balance (edited 11 October 2001).]

When I 1st tried 5-htp I noticed minimal effects if any effect at all when I used it for preload. postloading I could feel the effects when I 1st started taking 5-htp, but after a month or 2 I stopped feeling anything from 5-htp, so I stopped using it and felt much better for stopping.

i didn't say there was anything wrong with a placebo, if it works for you, go for it
smile.gif

------------------
... "wisest is he who knows that he does not know" ... "someone prove i exist" ... asparagus? ...

Obviously it doesn't work as a preload for everyone, but I am certain that it is not a placebo effect. It makes a major difference for me, with 5htp I can feel a pill as strongly as my friends but without 5htp it is definitely weaker. It makes the comeon much more powerful, and I feel the "druggy" effect of the mdma in my system before I get the typical feeling. It's not a placebo, because it is not necessarily a good feeling, more overwhelming than that "party" vibe/attitude a placebo would create! Everyone shouldn't take it, and you should take it responsibly if you do, just like any other drug. I have been slightly depressed in the past, so I just think, like vitamins, 5htp may be of use for some people if your dietary intake is inadequate, but if pain persists see your doctor
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by *chaoscat* (edited 11 October 2001).]

placebo? More like scientifically proven to increase your serotonin levels... low levels of which are the main cause of the messed up feeling you get in the few days following pillage.
Doesn't work as an immediate preload as you create a contradictive process... 5-htp's serotonin into chanels vs MDMA's serotonin out of chanels.

I never realised how good 5-htp was until it wasn't there one weekend after a bender.

5-htp.
I take one in the morning Im going out, one before I go out,
*INSERT PILL/S OF CHOICE HERE*
then take a SSRI anti depressant, take another 5-htp in the arvo and one the following day.
(if u are wondering why I take an SSRI, do a search)
Have not had a comedown for a LONG time.
*hugs his 5-htp*
[This message has been edited by blufluffybunny (edited 14 October 2001).]

I'll second the above 3 posts.
If anyone thinks 5-HTPs effects as a POSTload are placebo, they r crazy.
As Entropope said its effect is scientifically proven to increase serotonin levels.
At the end of an MDMA experience your serotonin levels are LOW. This is an EXTREMELY unnatural state to be in.
Your brain is literally DESPERATE to return to its more natural levels.
Without 5-HTP the process is long and drawn out, relying on Tryptophan from the diet. (A RARE amino acid)
It then must be converted to 5-HTP by enzymes which work relatively slowly and cannot do a lot at a time - why...because until MDMA came along this simply wasnt needed.
Enter HTP. It can be converted to serotonin by other enzymes which work much faster. Yes, when u dont need anymore in the brain, its a waste, and if anything detrimental as u produce excess serotonin in the bloodstream.
However after MDMA your brain is the place its needed and thats where its going. While i dont know the exact numerical comparision, your serotonin levels will return to normal MUCH faster than if u rely on natural processes.
I will not pill without it and i have forgotten what a comedown is. Sure you comedown but u return to the level u left at, not six feet under.
The following day i feel lethargic, tired etc, but thats from staying up all night; i dont generally feel like i have had anything.
As Soma said, and many others i know have too, u forget how good it is, until u have one without it!
I have turned some of my friends from blubbering messes to normal people again within a few hours; and often i tell them its a vitamin supplement which they take themselves anyway.
Bottom line is: 5-HTP is not some magic pill which eliminates all the negative short and long term side-effects of MDMA..but its the closest thing to it that i am currently aware of.
[This message has been edited by Biscuit (edited 15 October 2001).]

If my memory serves me correctly 5htp is of no use for preloading IF you wait at least 3-4 weeks before dropping. Eg if you fully deplete your serotonin it will take a minimum of about 3 weeks to fully restore your normal serotonin levels, so if after this time you decide to pre load with 5htp it should have minimal if any benificial effects.
Personaly I like to have 100mg the night after I drop and maybe another 100mg a few days later, I also sometime's preload the night before (at least 24 hours) with 100mg of 5htp, but usualy only when I pill multiple times in a month as my serotonin levels wont be back to normal yet.
------------------
If your buying I'm flying
[This message has been edited by Addicted to Bass (edited 15 October 2001).]