Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

OTC Codeine

kandy andy

Bluelighter
Um just wondering if you are able to buy pills containing codeine over the counter in Melbourne. I know there is alot of things like codral and soforth that contain small amounts of codeine but wanting something that i can use recreationally. any Asprin?? Which one or which pills. Are you able to the water extraction thing.

In WA, and Im assuming throughout Australia, there is a brand of over the counter painkillers (look for it) with 9.75mg codiene being the only active ingredient... look past the major labels. Thats the only one I know of that has no other active ingredients.
Just complain that only codiene seems to work, and that paracetamol and asprin dont do a thing for you.

anyone know what its called. I just got back from the chemist and all i could find is 8mg or 9.6 in Disprin Forte but has a shit load of asprin as well 500mg if i remember correctly. Is this amount of aspirin too much to bother with?? Also there was this other stuff that contained lactose. Being that lactose is basically milk i would think that this poses no problem. Please correct me if im wrong..

A little Paracetamol is fine, but anything over 2000-2500mg is getting slightly dangerous. As most OTC Codeine tablets have 500mg of paracetamol per tablet, you can only really take up to 40mg (if you find 10mg tabs)before you start belly aching from the paracetamol, and 40mg is crap all if you want to actually get high
smile.gif

SO, there are ways of purifying the codiene/paracetamol tablets to produce a bitter purish liquid codiene substance. It's tedious work, but there's really no use swallowing heaps of 10mg tablets without purifying.
I would by a 90 pack of chemist's own PAIN TABLETS (sounds dodgy but thats what they call them), they're the cheapest you can get and they have 9.6mg of codiene in them (the most you can get in a tablet OTC). The only other brand that has this much in codiene in it is Dental Fiorinal (mmm dental fiorinal) but it also has a Ibruprofen in it which is an analgesic/muscle relaxant and I'm not sure how that would go. So once you get your stocks go to Erowid and follow the instructions on the extraction technique. That's the Codiene Vault, its the link to the FAQ's page..I have issues about posting the extraction technique on here. So have a looksee for yerself
smile.gif

Having done this extraction technique, I realise I probably undermeasured my dose (i hadnt done codiene in a while so I opted for 100mg of codeine in my solution), when i'd have about 120 if I were just swallowing Panadeine Forte.. it was a little bit underwhelming and after all the effort i went through to make it i was a little disappointed. I'd rather go to a dodgy doctor and get a script for 30mg Panadiene Forte anyday.
[This message has been edited by mona (edited 30 June 2001).]

I'd be very careful with paracetamol containing things, especially if u r taking tablets after a big night; your liver has already suffered and its not wise.
Now there r cough mixtures which contain codeine. I was actually positive there was one which was only codeine, a bit like there is one which is only DXM.
However i dont remember which one.
Saying that there are definitely mixtures around with pseudoephedrine in it. Like the paracetamol, this probably isnt a good thing to overdo; and is rather counter-active to depressents.
But there may be several cough mixtures around with other codeine combinations which r less of a problem.
U definitely have more of a chance with cough mixtures than pain type tablets. (Codeine is both pain-killing and cough suppressing)

Hey Mona thanks for the reply.. I can get my hands on panadine forte no worries. i got a nice big box infront of me now.. But I am still courious to know something... You say that paracetamol is dangerous at about 2000-2500mg. If i was just to bomb say 4-5 tabs that would get me very close to danger would it not?? I had read erwid b4 so was familiar with the filtering out of the codeine, but is this not a filtration for asprin?? Will the paracitamol filter out in the same way as the asprin??
Should i try the Disprin Forte and just use like 10 tabs will the asprin disolve better than the paracitamol.. I know that panadine has like 3 times the amount of codeine in it but is the paracitamol worth the risk???
Thanks
[This message has been edited by kandy andy (edited 30 June 2001).]

Right well...
Its not healthy to go over 2000-2500 too often as Biscuit said it puts a lot of strain on yer liver BUT if you have 30mg panadiene fortes 5 is probably the most you;d havew in one go (unless you want to go to sleep and not remember any of the lush stonededness you get). Although i think I've read somewhere (cant find the reference so dont quote me on this) that the LD50 for paracetamol for some people can be 2500mg, but I'm sure 2500mg is not enough to kill most adults, but i'm sure there's been plenty of people who've taken 4 panadol and not had any adverse affects. its just about being careful and working up to your dose. If you've not done codiene recreationally before, it might be wise to just start off with 90mg? (ie 3 forte = 1500mg paracetamol)
The extraction method works on paracetamol as well as aspirin, although apparently it works better for aspirin, HOWEVER, you can still use the extraction method on the panadeine fortes if you wanted to be extra safe. I'm pretty sure it gets rid of MOST of the paracetamol, but not all of it.
Goodluck, have fun..
and listen to some NIN while you're stoned
smile.gif

for some reason Panadeine forte is hard to get.. couldn't be stuffed stopping by the doc!:p

forget codine, go for hydrocodone
wink.gif

At least I hope you can get it here in oz. You can get it in cough mixture, but you have to get a pescription for it (well you do in the US, so I presume here as well). You need to have, ie: fake
smile.gif
a really bad dry cough, go to the clinic and say it's really really hurting and if you don't get any relief this weekend you just wont be able to go to work next week...

a few corrections for the record.
jakoz-there is no such product that contains 9.75mg codeine only.
mona-ibuprofen is a non steroidal anti inflamitory drug.
biscuit-sadly there is no codeine only products available OTC. there is one with 25mg per 5 mls but its prescription only. and ive never seen it sold in the pharmacy i work in. actually ive never seen it atall.
huxkey-there is no listing of hydrocodone in th APP guide. ie you aint getting your hands on it.
[ 16 December 2001: Message edited by: SirLSD ]

Thanks for the corrections SirLSD, i was thinking of Voltaren (which is nice too)

a question for anyone familiar with the codeine extraction technique:
What sort of coffee filters (cant get access to lab filters) to use? Any particular brand names to look out for/aviod?
thanks

I went hunting for DXM late saturday night and during my investigation the chemist showed me some cough medicine called:
RIKOCODEINE.
This had only active ingredients Dihydrocodeine (sp?) and Sorbitol.
I cannot remember the amount but i think it was 14mg per 10 or 5 ml.
Now i guess the sorbitol is there to deter excess consumption?
But if u can deal with stomach cramps and possible trips to the toilet there is an OTC source.

dingleberries o to the supermarket in the coffee isle. The filters are usually on the bottom shelf in a green box. cant remember the name but they are in a green box with red writting. You get like 40 for $1.50 the box is about 20cm X 10 cm. The filtrs are a bag like shape and are 2X ply. I use both ply when extracting. Let us know if you hav any trouble

i have a bottle of Voltaren 50
it says they contain diclofenac sodium 50mg
mona says they are good and if so what is the best way to take it? should i just eat some or should i use the extraction method.
what else do they contain?
any info would be much appreciated
------------------
quick man, kick me in the junk

SirLSD - Youre right, my bad... that was from (a seemingly deteriorating) memory.
The codiene content was correct, but that brand also contains 450mg paracetamol and 5mg doxylamine succinate.

The product Jakoz is referring to is an analgesic/calmative sold under the brands Dolased, Mersyndol and various cheaper generic names. If you take a few of these the antihistamine calmative (doxylamine succinate) will probably make you more drowsy than the codeine.
BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.

Codeine as an active ingredient by itself is unavailable over the counter. To be S2 (OTC pharmacy medicine) it has to be 9.6mg per tablet mixed with at least one other active either it be paracetomol, aspirin or anything else and in pack of less than 100.
Codeine in tablet form by itself is a controlled substance (S8) so if u know a dodgy doctor and pharmacy get scripts!
in liquid form for coughs a script is needed but no regulated.
There are preps. with up to 15mg of codiene but they also contain paracetomol and sometimes doxylamine succinate.
Dihydrocodeine and DXM are just derivatives of codeine - not as effective.
but if u are after the both Rikodeine and Durotuss have dihydrocodeine (just watch out for sorbitol as it is a laxative)
DXM you will find in Robittussin DX as DXM being the only active and NO sorbitol.
My recommendation is NUCOSEF - it is a OTC codeine and pseudoephidrine mix and i have had quite a bit of fun with that!

Doxylamine Succinate......
Mmmm anyone know much about this stuff? It's in Mersyndol and there are chemists brands which are cheaper but contain the same stuff. I sometimes get them for sore tooth, sometimes after an event
wink.gif
But I find that even as few as 2 of these has a nice stoney effect. I haven't tried more (haven't thought of recreational use much) and am not stupid enough to try without more research.
So anyone know what the real effects of Doxylamine Succinate are?
DB

Doxylamine succinate is an antihistamine, a member of the Ethanolamine group of H1 -Blocking Agents, has a pronounced tendency to induce sedation. ie. It acts as a calmative that relaxes you and makes you drowsy.
  • It's used with paracetamol and codeine in some mild OTC painkillers (ie. Dolased, Mersyndol, Chemists Own Analgesic/Calmative and other generics) at a dose of about 9mg per tablet.
  • Also by itself in some sleeping formulations (ie. Restavit, Somnil) at a dose of 25mg per tablet.
  • Funnily enough it also comes in Vicks Medinite cough syrup at a dose of 7.5mg per 30mL, along with 600mg paracetamol, 9mg ephedrine sulphate, and 15mg DXM in the same 30mL. (Before anyone goes rushing off thinking this shit is the shit to trip off... remember you need a good 300mg of DXM for a decent robotrip, and the paracetamol there in 600mL would make your liver curl up and die). I think it also requires a prescription as it classed S2.
Chemical name for Doxylamine Hydrogen Succinate: 2-[alpha-(2-dimethylaminoethoxy)-alpha-methylbenzyl] pyridine
BigTrancer
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by BigTrancer (edited 12 July 2001).]