• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Microwave Appliances

addictivepersona

Bluelight Crew
Wasn't really sure where to put this. Was wondering if anybody has ever read a credible source that says microwave appliances are bad for our health in any way, shape, or form.

I mean, breast milk cannot be the only food that gets changed when it's heated/cooked in a microwave. Unless that's not even true--Anyone know any reputable sites to find information on if enzymes are killed off in the heating of human breast milk in the microwave?

I tried looking for credible sources for all of the above, but didn't have any luck.

I'm not asking for sources for homework--I am asking for my own knowledge. I gave up the use of the microwave for Lent (I'm not at all religious but my extended family's Catholic and my grandma would always do Lent, so I try each year), and now see no reason to go back--My mom thinks I'm totally nutty, as do a few people. But I look at it this way: The microwave hasn't been around for too long... The average Joe doesn't know what it's doin' to him, ya know? I mean, who knows, in fifty years they may discover something horrible from the use of a microwave oven. Especially with the increase use lately--I'm sure you could never use your stove with all the microwaveable convenience foods now.

It does change food, probably not enough to be harmful though. Microwaves heat food by causing certain molecules to spin, which produces friction and heat. This can sometimes affect the structure of molecules, and in some cases, can convert them into inactive or harmful forms. That said, this is in a tiny, tiny quantity. Probably not enough to be significant, but at the same time, if you don't have to use it, why risk it?

As far as radiation, as long as you're not pressed up against the box, there is little danger of overexposure to microwave energy.

I don't know if they are bad for HEALTH, but they are certainly bad for FOOD. Ever since, as a child, I put a bowl of fava beans in the microwave, only to find that it had been turned into cobweb-shaped slime, I had a huge aversion to microwaves.

Today, my only use for them is to dry inanimate things quickly if I want them without water. Otherwise, microwaves have no place in my life, and cold food is just fine.

I like my microwave. It reheats food much better than could be done on the stove top.

They're good for reheating leftovers, defrosting frozen stuff quickly (if it is done right), melting butter/chocolate/etc and maybe two or three other things that I can't think of off the top of my head. I couldn't imagine actually cooking food in one though, although apparently people do.

The biggest health concern that is an actual concern (rather than tinfoil hat nonsense, at least from the stuff that I've read) is that it isn't a good idea to reheat food in plastic containers, particularly polyethylene and polypropylene. Most plastics (and those ones for sure) still have trace amounts of formation catalyst in them-- usually some ruthenium complex. At room temperature it is locked up tight in the polymer; that's why it isn't removed, it can't be without mangling the polymer. But when heated in a microwave, it is possible that a certain transition may occur which might release the catalyst from the polymer.

AFAIK measurable amounts of ruthenium have yet to be measured as being released into food this way, but it is a possibility, and since ruthenium is essentially a heavy metal it's probably wise to put your leftovers onto a plate before nuking them.

My friend's mother (who is a doctor) is also a microwave minimalist. She showed me pictures of water molecules, some which had been heated with a microwave, and some which had been boiled. There was a DRASTIC difference in appearance between the two. I tried finding the source just now with no luck, sadly.

So, I don't know if they're 'bad' for you, but there is a difference.

My friend's mother (who is a doctor) is also a microwave minimalist. She showed me pictures of water molecules, some which had been heated with a microwave, and some which had been boiled. There was a DRASTIC difference in appearance between the two. I tried finding the source just now with no luck, sadly.

We need to know the particular difference between these water molecules. Prima facie, there's no way that this could be true. . .unless you mean that the water molecules which underwent microwave irradiation were boiling. ;)
So I'm lazy and impatient enough that microwaving handles a great deal of my re-heating and convenience-food related duties. I would save the device for applications where boiling from the in-side-out wouldn't prove inappropriate.

ebola

Obelus-- no, they didn't show a picture of a water molecule. To be able to 'see' a molecule, you need to be able to place it in a fairly high vacuum, and the water would just boil away. The microwaves don't change water, just makes them flip back and forth really quickly, generating heat.

I don't know if they are bad for HEALTH, but they are certainly bad for FOOD. Ever since, as a child, I put a bowl of fava beans in the microwave, only to find that it had been turned into cobweb-shaped slime, I had a huge aversion to microwaves.

Today, my only use for them is to dry inanimate things quickly if I want them without water. Otherwise, microwaves have no place in my life, and cold food is just fine.

Fucking oath, man.

I consider my aversion to microwave ovens to be a phobia, and I'm not really part of the tinfoil crowd. I was forced to eat microwaved food as a child. I have been tricked into eating microwaved food, and it created a panic reaction in me that resulted in vomiting I could not control. Basically, if someone feeds me microwaved food, they can expect me to yak in their direction. ;)

I do ask at restaurants and I give my business to restaurants that do not microwave their food. At this point in my life, I have learned to live with it. I am well versed on the operation of microwave ovens and I'm well aware that they do not operate on ionizing radiation. I also don't give a crap. I'm a free being that chooses what I put into my body. If I don't want to eat microwaved food, that is my prerogative.

For whatever it is worth, microwaves heat food through friction of water molecules. That's it at its core (no pun intended). At the end of the day it is a matter of personal choice. In the interest of Healthy Living, we all choose what we put into our bodies. If anyone wants to label me as tinfoily, I'll gladly accept that before I'll eat anything microwaved. There is obviously one in my house, but when I have lived alone, there was not. My father does not own one either, and he does not share my phobia, he's just a culinary snob. ;)

I never eat microwaved food at home. I do, of course, on airplanes, and it is an exercise I don't enjoy. I am also the sort that stores their water in a glass/steel bottle.

The reason for these are (1) taste and (2) I am more comfortable using a stove, oven, and toaster oven. I like to cook and am not the sort to have "quick meals on the go" i.e. I melt my butter in a double boiler when I need to.

There are conflicting opinions and studies on the matter, and I like to stick to things that are the result of long social evolution. I am in no position to set the general "margin of safety" on plastic components that leach, but I do know that in other areas, these margins on other substances are set by regulatory bodies below what I am comfortable with.

I dont like microwaves. I dont like the concept, the technology, the dispersion of heat, the kind of food made for them, EVERYTHING. I dont like them at all.

I generally avoid them at all costs, but if im cooking bacon and egg and plan on making a sandwich, then realise as im cooking the bacon, that the bread is in the freezer.. ill use the microwave. But besides that no, i do not use them.

If i had things my way there wouldnt be one in my house. They are apparently safe but the russians banned them, and generally if the russians ban something, theres a good reason and you ought to be concerned about it.

Besides... NOTHING tastes good from a microwave. Ive never eaten an instant meal, whether it be mac n cheese, or roast chicken and vegies.. and thought 'damn, that was GOOD!'. No, im always left disappointed. Pointing out how the chicken is too dry, or the cheese is too fake, or how it costs 8$ for a small instant meal when you could basically cook a whole meal which would fill 4 plates for 15$ - AND it would taste better.

Bump. I'd still like to get more input from people... I have yet to find credible sources, though I haven't really been looking... The professors in my dietetic courses could not offer me any help: "The microwave is a good tool for defrosting certain items quickly" was the one's generic response. *Rolls eyes*

Tastewise, microwaves are usually a very bad choice. I also do not like to reheat food, usually I'll just eat it cold.

I do not believe microwaving food is bad for my health though. Cooking in general destroys nutrients and I have no reason to believe microwaves are worse then normal cooking.

Not the food but: A microwave that leaks could contribute to cataracts. Increased risk of cataracts is a possible occupational hazard of working around radar arrays, or the reason people need to stay away from operating radar towers besides the risk of being microwaved.

I think if this risk is actual at all it would require you to have a work station or sleeping area in close proximity to a leaking microwave that is used a lot.

I don't know of compounds found in microwave foods that aren't in non-microwaved foods except for the plastics contamination Dave mentioned. (Can happen ways other than microwave also) It was a high school kid for a science fair type project that presented that plastic wraps microwaved with fatty content foods results in measurable contamination. A lot of plastic components can disrupt hormones, mimic hormones, or cause cancer. Several of the worst components like phthalates are being phased out, but no plastics have really been tested to be called safe for consumption.

I microwave potatos for a short amount of time before frying them to cut down on total cook time.

I use a toaster oven for most everything else. I am not sure there is going to be conclusive evidence against microwaves since there isn't much of an impetus for it. People like their conveniences.

I deliberately ignored them through mistrust of their safet, but microwaves can be really useful for re-heating a cup of tea.

microwave ovens do the job far more energy efficient than any other cooking appliance that i know of . I am not familiar with energy ratings for induction heating cook tops though .

Have there been any deaths ever related to microwave usage? I should think it would be a hard thing to dictate/conclude/measure, perhaps.