• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Question about Fish Oils

canadianboy16

Ex-Bluelighter
Ok so I've been reading a lot about fish oils lately. and i have a few questions that i thought you guys might know about ....

1) I've read in some places that it can increase Serotonin levels and dopamine levels naturally .... is this true ?
if so how much of a dosage do you have to take approx ? i heard it was pretty high

2) is it good to take them after using serotonin and dopamine depleting drugs like MDMA , Speed , etc ?

2) and if you are a regular taker of fish oils or taker after drug use ... how do you find it helps you .

(e.g if you are a regular taker do you find it helps your concerntration or intelligence ?

or... e.g if you use it for after speed or something , do you find it helps recovery , or lessen tolerance , etc ? )

if you want to add anything else about your views or experiences on fish oils i would love to hear them :)

I found they decrease my acne .....

and I heard it can slightly relieve depression as it has vitamin d in it .

And when I say releieve I mean as much as 5-htp does . Which is ever so slightly .

But again if u have bad acne , take this stuff and u will notice effects in 1-2 weeks .
It's better than any clearasil , facewash or spot cream I've tried

yeah they decrease mine as well .

but i think you can get tolerance to fish oils cause it stops working after a while

What's the difference between Fish Oil and Krill Oil?

I've seen TV commercials for both and Bayer the makers of Asprin are now selling Krill oil according to their commercials and how it's supposedly better for you than fish oil.

I know there are probably not doctors or pharmacists on here but can you take Omega-3 supplements with an SSRI?

Last edited:
krill is a type of shrimp i believe .....

and maybe its because we are overfishing cod (where the fish oil comes from) , so they are trying to give the cod a break to hump and have more babies , so in the long term there will still be cod for humans and they wont go extinct . and also cod is getting expensive now ...

so the companies that sell this i guess are trying to promote krill oil ?

i guess my theroy makes sense eh ?

I've been taking fish oil supplements daily for about 5 months now. I believe that my face has more color and perhaps even has a smoother feel to it. This may or may not be attributed to the fish oil, though.

I originally started taking it because I had some serious track marks and heard a rumor that it helps in the healing of the skin and helps heal damaged veins. This may or may not be true but I feel that my tracks became less noticeable more quickly due to using fish oil

you can get them from a variety of plants. with fish oil, you have to trust the manufacturer to purify it from mercury, and well, i dont trust anyone in the MFG business period.

flax seed oil has omega 3,6,9.

Fish oils are supposed to be great for mental health...that's all I know.

What's the difference between Fish Oil and Krill Oil?

I've seen TV commercials for both and Bayer the makers of Asprin are now selling Krill oil according to their commercials and how it's supposedly better for you than fish oil.

I know there are probably not doctors or pharmacists on here but can you take Omega-3 supplements with an SSRI?

Krill is partly where the fish get their fish oil from. Krill don't bioaccumulate lipid soluble toxins like large fish do, so you don't have to worry about mercury and such. In theory krill oil's not better for you, but if manufactured poorly the fish oil could be toxic.

Yeah the krill oil is apparently better for the environment cos of the shortage of cod we are facing .

But what people don't understand is that the fish are killed for fools and then the leftovers are used for oil

^ omega 3 from flax and plant sources is better than none at all though! True fish oil might be more beneficial in the same quanities however I do recommend flax for vegetarians :) One of the main problems is that flax seed oil goes rancid extremely quickly and has to be stored in a cool and dark place.

Omega-3 is not a thing. Omega-3 from flax and plant sources is not "better than none at all". Each specific omega-3 fatty acid, is a unique chemical which has its own pharmacological properties and/or biological role.

Eicosapentaenoic acid is produced by algae and bioaccumulates in fish and other seafood. It's pretty much like a lipid vitamin, as it's used to produce many eicosanoid hormones. It's a precursor to docosahexaenoic acid.

Docosahexaenoic acid is an important constituent of the human brain; it makes up over 50% of the weight of neurons' plasma membranes. DHA is produced mostly by algae and bioaccumulates in fish.

Alpha-linolenic acid is the "omega-3" mostly found in flax; it's got a few metabolic pathways that put it in direct competition with the conversion of EPA to DHA. Your body will convert some alpha-linolenic acid to EPA and then eventually DHA, but it is not efficient at all.

There are also omega-3's like stearidonic acid found in hemp; this is yet another omega-3 fatty acid which is a separate and unique nutritional factor.

You can't just equate EPA, DHA, ALA, stearidonic acid, etc. to each other. They're related chemically but they serve different purposes in the body.

I've been looking into krill oil lately. It seems to have a bit of a buzz around it, so the price is kind of high. I found 150 days worth for 40 bucks, which is a quarter a day. I was looking at the EPA and DHA content and noticed it was quite a bit lower than most fish oil prodcuts...

"Krill oil, like fish oil, contains both of the omega-3 fats eicosapentanoic acid (EPA) and docosahexanoic acid (DHA), but hooked together in a different form. In fish oil these omega-3 fatty acids are found in the triglyceride form whereas in krill oil they are hooked up in a double chain phospholipid structure. (The fats in our own cell walls are in the phospholipid form.) Attached to the EPA leg of the phospholipid is a molecule of astaxanthin, an extremely potent anti-oxidant. The phospholipid structure of the EPA and DHA in krill oil makes them much more absorbable and allows for a much easier entrance into the mitochondria and the cellular nucleus. In addition to EPA and DHA krill oil contains a complex phospholipid profile including phosphatidylcholine, a potent source of reductive-stress-reducing choline, which also acts as a natural emulsifier.

Krill oil contains vitamin E, vitamin A, vitamin D and canthaxanthin, which is, like astaxanthin, a potent anti-oxidant. The anti-oxidant potency of krill oil is such that when compared to fish oil in tems of ORAC (Oxygen radical absorptance capacity) values it was found to be 48 times more potent than fish oil."

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/uncategorized/why-krill-oil/

So I guess if its not just a bunch of marketing and it truly is more bio-available, it'd be something to consider. Another plus is you supposedly don't have to worry about toxins in it.

Omega-3 is not a thing. Omega-3 from flax and plant sources is not "better than none at all". ...

Alpha-linolenic acid is the "omega-3" mostly found in flax; it's got a few metabolic pathways that put it in direct competition with the conversion of EPA to DHA. Your body will convert some alpha-linolenic acid to EPA and then eventually DHA, but it is not efficient at all.

Sorry I was lazily referring to "Omega-3 fatty acids" and do realise that "Omega 3" is nothing but a greek numeral followed by an integer. Are you however stating that supplementing plant-based ALA isn't beneficial for vegetarians? Otherwise surely it is better than none at all?

I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing; I'm generally interested and you seem a bit more knowledgeable than me on the topic :)