• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Question about Fish Oils

I've been taking 2 softgels a day for a month now, with 300mg omega 3 per pill. My energy levels have been slightly improved since. I also double my dosage before and after dropping some E, but I have only done so once and did not notice a difference with the drug's effects.

Sorry I was lazily referring to "Omega-3 fatty acids" and do realise that "Omega 3" is nothing but a greek numeral followed by an integer. Are you however stating that supplementing plant-based ALA isn't beneficial for vegetarians? Otherwise surely it is better than none at all?

I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing; I'm generally interested and you seem a bit more knowledgeable than me on the topic :)

I'm saying that eating alpha-linolenic acid is not the same thing as, and there isn't really an equivalent to, eating EPA or DHA. A vegetarian adding flaxseed oil to their diet is not doing the same thing that someone adding fish oil to their diet is doing. They have different pharmacological effects.

ALA based Omega-3 oils do have health benefits though. Ideally you would use both (and if you are against using fish oil due to moral reasons then I would definetly recomend using an ALA based oil)

Wut how can you get tolerance to fish oil? It isn't a drug...It contains omega-3 fatty acids. You can't gain tolerance to omega 3... lol.

I take 5-6 caps a day and have noticed my skin is a lot brighter, sort of smoother....With a lot more natural colour in it..hard to explain.
But I also take multi v's and milk thistle.

I dont think hemp oil contains EPA and DHA. I think it only comes from Fauna.... which isn't good for veggies!

Edit: just found you can get Algae based DHA/EPA supplements

sardines are great and ive being eating a lot of them those past 3 month, and yesterday i was reading about them
sardines is packed with nutrients, "ounce for ounce, sardines provide more calcium and phosphorus than milk, more protein than steak, more potassium than bananas, and more iron than cooked spinach." Probably the greatest nutritional value of sardines resides in their high concentration of omega-3-fatty acids.
Sardines are extremely low in contaminants such as mercury unlike the big fishes like salmon and tuna.

For those of you who take fish oil daily have you noticed any changes in your mood or health?

I hear it's good for depression/anxiety is there any truth to this?

Priest, placebo effect would make that impossible for any of us to determine.

i would have to say thats one of the reason i started reading about sardines yesterday, is that ive being happier lately n i could attribute this to different factor, one of them being the introduction of sardines in my diet, i have no idea if it is related but from what ive read it might be

I generally feel a bit better if I drink a lot of omega-3's throughout the day. But again it could easily be placebo.

would fish oils have anything to do with weight gain?

i took em for about 2 weeks and ended up gaining about 7lbs. maybe their unrelated, but is this possible?

^ unless you took 7lb of fish oil in that time I'd say it's probably unrelated. :)

i see people literally drinking these flavored fish oils out of the bottle at my crossfit gym and it makes me cringe. commercial fish oils are processed at high temperatures to deodorize and clarify them. they're often then bleached, dyed, or both. this process, although it reduces fishy taste and smell and makes the oil taste like a tootsie roll, invariably makes the fats in the oils rancid and destroys the naturally present and bioavailable natural antioxidants and vitamins.

i use this. i'm a big weston a. price fan and this blend is the highest recommended, and for good reason. it's truly magical stuff.

i don't like starting my day off like an AIDS patient, swallowing a million supplements of this and that but this one is definitely worth it. i've had eczema for my whole life and this cleared it up in one week. you can read about the other health benefits on the foundation's website.

there are few who would not benefit from taking cod liver oil, but you should be very careful of your source and the preparation of the product. you don't have to use a blend with butter oil but the two are truly synergistic; my eczema didn't fully clear up until i used the blend. if you really can't stand the taste you can use the capsules.

beware the fishy oillll

I've tried using fish oil supplement but they've never really made a noticeable difference in my mood or physical symptoms.

My understanding is that the ratio of omega 6:3 in the diet is what matters most, so that reducing omega 6 can also be effective rather than consuming high amounts of both.

For those of you who take fish oil daily have you noticed any changes in your mood or health?

I hear it's good for depression/anxiety is there any truth to this?

There are a lot of people using these with kids who have add, adhd. one of the women whos sons goes to the same school started doing this a few years back, he did seem a bit calmer after a month and his grades improved by a grade, others then tried it and it did seem to slightly calm down the kids. :)

My mom is an anxious type and swears by Carlson Labs DHA, which is a fish oil product. Not a shill by the way. And that stuff is pretty expensive. But your brain is substantially made of DHA, so it has to be good.

Things to watch out for with fish oils--the stuff goes rancid (oxidizes) in the gel cap sometimes, and you don't even know it. Consuming rancid fish oils puts oxidative stress on the body (no bueno). Also, a lot of fish oil products were found to contain high levels of mercury and vitamin A (toxic). So it makes sense to spend a little more on your fish oil.

Overall though, it's so good for your heart and brain, it's probably the one supplement to take if you're going to take anything.