• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Social Anxiety Disorder?

Endymion00

Bluelighter
Well I'm home from University for the break until like the 11th and my parents are going away this weekend. Naturally my overly eager and extremely social younger sister decided it would be the perfect time to have a party. Ever since she ran the idea across me I've been feeling extremely nauseous and tired...

I mean, I've never been good with people...but these guys are all friends...so I don't know why I'm so nervous about it. I think it could be the concept of drinking (as I throw up when I drink hard liquor) but even when I decided not to the feeling is still there. I think it might be guilt that I'm taking advantage of my parent's trust while they're away for the weekend...

which in itself is an ironic considering I do drugs freely when I'm away from home....
in any case this has been ruining my day and I've felt sluggish and sick to my stomach all morning now.
the party is only a few hours away and I don't want to be the killjoy ruining everyone else's fun.
I think I probably won't drink. I never did like it. I get violently ill. I think I must have an allergy or something...liquor just doesn't agree with my stomach, even if I drink the bare minimum.
I did however get a hold of some very fine bud and I've heard it helps with anxiety and such...so I was wondering if maybe smoking a little before the party would help ease my rattled nerves?

If you dont want to drink maybe you can choose another drug that doesnt have a bad effect on you?

Or you could feel bad that you're inviting a bunch of people to your parent's place without their approval? I know that house parties while the folks are out of town is a time-honoured tradition, I've always thought of it as being a real dick thing to do. Perhaps you agree with me, and that is the source of your anxiety?

I've had to deal with a lot of social anxiety over my life, and while the anxiety itself is all but gone, there is still a lot of detritus left over. Unless this anxiety is a common occurrence, I'd say that it's probably situational rather than pathological. Something about this party is bugging you. Find out what it is, deal with it, and I'd bet that the anxiety goes away.

Personally, I've found that herb amplified my anxiety. However that could be strain-dependent, as well as a quirk of my own neurochemistry. If it works for you, then all the more power to you, but personally I probably wouldn't use it as such.

smoking weed can make anxiety 10x worse, would strongly advise against

For some people it works. Come to think of it though, the only people that I've spoken to for whom it worked were pretty heavy smokers to begin with, and the anxiety may have been some sort of psychological withdrawal symptom. Like how smokers smoke cigarettes to relax, even though they're actually a PNS stimulant.

well i assume th eparties ove.r..

How did everything go? Nothing broken right? hahahah oh yeah don't forget that spill in that random corner ya knoW?

HAHAH I LOVE HOUSE PARTIES I USED TO THROW DA BOMB ONES

It was fun all in all, but now I'm paranoid about the stench of weed lingering in the living room...my parents don't come home until tomorrow. It's been a day and a half...I'm worried they'll smell something off...and then I'm screwed eternally.
But I think I was just nervous about taking advantage of my parent's trust. I don't plan on doing that ever again. As much fun as we had, next time I think I'll just go out to someone else's house instead
Though I also get these little bouts of anxiousness with other things too.

Herb smoke doesn't 'stick' like cigarette smoke does. Air the room out, and you'll be fine. Just make sure that there isn't any herb/roaches/pipes lying around, as those will cause a smell. And maybe smoke outside next time ;)

Herb smoke doesn't 'stick' like cigarette smoke does. Air the room out, and you'll be fine. Just make sure that there isn't any herb/roaches/pipes lying around, as those will cause a smell. And maybe smoke outside next time ;)

Yes we had intended to do that...buuuuttt it was exceptionally freezing outside that night.
We live in Canada and it's mid winter. Plus, considering how much we were smoking we would have been standing out in the bitter cold for quite some time.

Dude, I live in Edmonton. I know it gets cold. Rule number 1 of winter: dress for the weather. Man up a little, put on a jacket and smoke outside. Way less stress.

Smoking weed would be one of the WORST things you could do in this situation.

Actually I found while I was stoned out of my mind I really wanted to clean and do menial tasks...so half the cleaning up was done that very night thankfully.
Albeit it was all done slowly as I had no idea what I was doing half the time or kept forgetting shit...
I only became really anxious afterwords when I was burning out and I realized how much the house reeked of pot.

Well put.

Weed helps my anxiety, I don't know about everyone though.

If you actually are considering having a party I doubt you have severe social anxiety. When I struggled with it I would have panicked at the *thought* of having people over to the house.

take some sorta benzo ? if you can get your hands on some ?

Yeah I'd say let everyone else drink, and instead take a benzo.