• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Dance Like Nobody Is Watching? Fact or Fiction?

pseudoSym

Bluelighter
Everybody always says "Dance Like Nobody Is Watching" but is it actually true?
Do you watch and more importantly, judge the dancing styles of others?

Most of the time, I feel comfortable dancing around the way I do. I know I don't look too good, but I don't really care. If it feels mad, i'll keep doing it.
I do sorta judge other peoples dancing, but not in a way that I'd ever look down or laugh at someone in a negative way. Pretty much, I won't discriminate other peoples dance styles.

Yup I do... Judgement usually goes along the lines of "Wow I wish I could dance like that!", or "Oh my god she's a funky dancer!", or "He/she's not that good, I'm not gonna watch them anymore", or "Stop it! You look too good and I'm on G, so just stop it!" ...erm, ignore that last one... ;)
So yes, to be honest I do judge people when they dance, but not in a condescending way, simply to appraise their style (and perhaps attempt to emulate if it's an appealing style), and any unfavourable comments are only made jokingly (ie. cokeheads)
As far as dancing like no-one is watching goes, it happens sometimes, but most of the time I'm too aware that there are people around and they will be watching... Not that I'll stop dancing, I know I'm not an awe inspiring dancer, but I've been told I'm pretty good :) ...It doesn't matter much when there's a lot of people around who are also dancing, but I'm not someone who can jump onto an empty dancefloor to easily (I've done it, but not often, I'll leave that to da kitten)
[ 25 February 2002: Message edited by: Tarsarlan ]

hrmmm...
lemee see here...
well, i do dance as if nobody's watchin... altho, when someone gets a groove goin near me i might play up to them... it really fuels the fire when that happens...
but i'm not gonna say i don't watch others. i mean, i don't STARE intently at them and pick at their styles--- i simply do my thing, and keep my eyes open... if i c another person, big deal. just like i don't constantly check people out while i'm walking down the street.
i dance... i c things. thats all.

depends on the crowd.
if im happy with the people around i'll generally bust a move and do sum silly shit.
but if im not comfortable in my surroundings i wont.

oh yeah, and i dont care how others dance,
but if someone is dancing in a very very extremely funny way, i'll laugh :)
but im sure anyone would laugh if sumone is dancing in a very very extremely funny way

I do dance like no one is watching... but then most of the time im pretty aware of it they do... I just love to dance and I have no problem just stopping dead and standing flat out watching someone, then walking over and saying hi and having a chat to em..
Then I'm a bit wierd like that :) Most of my night I spend just walking straight up to complete strangers, saying hi, shaking hands, giving em the thumbs up and then going back to dancing like ive got 5 metres of space and not a care in the world :)
Prolly due to the fact that im quite an arrogant bastard... but heeeyyyyyyyy :)

i try to dance like nobody is watching, but i dont think it really works... as said above, im too aware that there are usually other people around watching, maybe not staring but you know... i think its basically a motivator... used to get people to dance how they feel and not be intimidated by other people watching/judging.
and as for judging, no i dont judge, but i comment, which is maybe the same, but i would never offend someone about their dancing style... ive stared at people before when they dance heaps good or move lights/glowsticks in awesome ways... and ive also commented to mates like 'he sucks' before, but i dont mean for it to be taken seriously, as i am well aware of my lack of dancing ability :) and i feel as though anyone should be able to enjoy the music anyway they like.

Well I can honestly say that for a couple of hours last Saturday I think forgot that there was anyone else on planet Earth. I actually got a shock when I clicked on how many people were around me.
But as for dancing it don't look great when people are too self conscious, but I recon it's worse when people are too over confident and just plain show off. Someone who is genuinely having a good time and doing it for themselves actually gives off a certain vibe, and I find just being around people in this state starts to get me going too. But nothing kills that quicker than someone who just gets out in front of everyone and does the look how good I am, no-one's as good as me thing.

its a philosophy :)
dance like no one is watching, unattainable of course without the aid of chems, too self-concious otherwise.
I definately agree with previous post that people who are enjoying themselves give off a vibe and thats what i usually try and do, it helps if the dancefloor isnt empty too :)

I'm usually self-conscious for about 20 minutes, then all of a sudden that usually goes away and I don't think about it for the rest of the night.
Lately though I've found that I don't even dance at all - I just don't feel like it! I'd rather sit and listen to the music. I think everyone goes through phases, where sometimes you just want to dance your arse off and other times you just can't be bothered at all. :)

I've always fallen back on pre-warning people about my innate lack of groove. Yeah, I can move to the beat, but somewhere along the assembly line, stuff went REALLY wrong. So I get a good laugh before we hit the floor, then I know that if I suck, it won't be spoken of too harshly, and if I rock, it'll be a pleasant surprise for everyone.
On substances... Well, I still probably look pretty silly. But I'm having a great time, so who gives a damn? And yeah, I have a look at other people, but usually just to think 'they seem to be having a bloody excellent time....all is well'

I dance like everyone is watching, because usually they are.
I've had dance floors to myself in morning sets when nobody else can keep up and I'm the only one still powering on.
hmmmm... Might do a Kandy morning set soon...
BASS OUT

ok.. this may sound stupid but:
i do dance like no one is watching.. i dance like an absolute idiot (well i think i do)..
but.
im also very paranoid that everyone IS watching me..
yeah im not messed up.. ;)

hrrmmm... i would like to think i try and dance as though no one is watching as often as possible although sometimes i find myself overly selfconsious and it stops being as fun as it should. on the other hand, i really do enjoy watching other people dance, especially when they are dancing like they couldnt give a fuck

i just dance!
usually conscious that people are watching, but it doesn't worry me too much.
good dancers turn me on so much! i am one of the starers... i believe dancing should be an always evolving process. Watching and learning, listening and experimenting with different types of music, it all makes ur dancing style slightly change.
Also, does anyone else dance differently to diff. types of music? I hardly see anyone who does. i belive in practising what u preach, so i do.
I was always a stomper and bouncer, as hard music was all i was into. Then i started getting into funky house, my movements started to loosen up. Then i got into breaks, and after a slow start, i soon found a groove. Watching and learning from others and letting the music flow through me i developed a unique style. Its so much fun and i'm always having the BEST time, this must portray as i always get compliments (not so much on the technical skill, but the energy and 'up for it' vibe).
I'm also lucky in that the diff. groups i go out with are ALL good dancers.
I am, however, reknowned for hardly ever judging people. Let it be their dancing, clothes, attitude or appearence. If i don't like something, i ignore it.

i dance like i fucking want. i dont care if anyone watches or not. they're allowed to. but i dont dance to impress anyone, and i dont really care how i look.
i also never really watch people dance. i dunno, some people think its some sort of competition or something, fuck that, i'm dancing to good house or techno, its not breakbeat hiphop and i'm not about to breakdance, so therefore i think people should dance as a response to the music. hence the name dance-music.
on that note once upon a time i either danced like people were watching or i was very enthusiastic, can't remember which. but the point is i used to be able to do fun-ass spins. i tried one at sunny a few months back upon realising i hadn't done one for fucking ages and failed dismally at even coming close to any sort of beat related thingy.
;) :D

i dont watch people dancing, im too busy dancing myself... i do on the other hand watch the people who are NOT dancing and wonder what is up with them...
when i gotta dance, i gotta DANCE! and i dont care where or when i do it!
i love to dance! like no-one is watching! and i dont give a **** if they are watching!
theres my $0.02 worth :)
Andromeda :)

i dance when I can. I sit when I can't. Fuck what other people are doing or thinking! :)
[ 26 February 2002: Message edited by: nezo ]