• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Man charged with involuntary manslaughter for selling shrooms to a newb

Dr.DOB

Bluelighter
ATHENS COUNTY, Ohio—A teen was indicted Monday on two charges related to the April death of an Ohio University student.

NBC 4 reported with the FAST FACTS.

James Tyler Wagers, 19, of Mansfield was indicted Monday for one count of involuntary manslaughter and one count of aggravated drug trafficking in connection with the death of Eric Hansen.

Hansen, 20, died as a result of a fall from a fourth-floor dorm window at Ohio University Tuesday, April 28, 2009, while under the influence of psilocybin.

Wagers was accused of having provided psilocybin mushrooms, an hallucinogenic drug.

Psilocybin was discovered in Hansen’s system during an autopsy performed by the Franklin County coroner’s office.

The involuntary manslaughter charge is a first-degree felony and carries a possibility of as much as 10 years in prison.

The aggravated drug trafficking charge is a fourth-degree felony and carries a possibility of 18 months in prison.

Wagers was scheduled to appear before Judge L. Alan Goldsberry at 10 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 5, 2009.

Ohio University police investigated the case.

For additional information, stay with NBC 4 and refresh nbc4i.com—Where Accuracy Matters.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/cmh/news/crime/article/teen_charged_in_ou_students_death/20028/

thats right boys and girls
when you sell drugs to somebody you are responsible for what they do while under the influence
its just another way the government tries to prevent the distribution of drugs

That is fucking bullshit! I feel really bad for this guy.

It is a shame someone died as a result of choosing to take drugs and not being able to control their actions and/or handle the trip but that only falls on them not the dealer.

This doesn't surprise me in the least though, the Government will do anything to discourage the use and sale of drugs, well the drugs they don't want us to have.

wow....this guy is getting a possible of 10 years?! crazy....if I got a quarter for under the influence of alcohol deaths in America, I would be a rich man.

and why the hell is the guy who sold the shrooms being charged for the death of the kid, it's the person under the influence making his/her decisions on a drug.

Fuck the drug war....

Aggrivated drug trafficking? Way to go Ohio, you will alaways suck!

Plus the OPs headline is what should have been in the news

If I sell someone coffee, and they die of a heart attack, can I go to jail?
If I sell someone beer, and they wreck their car and kill innocent people, can I go to jail?

On the other hand, if I sell someone mushrooms, and they discover the meaning of their life, and create some amazing art that sells for lots of money, should I get a portion of the money?

Ridiculous bullshit.
End the "war on drugs" and legalize freedom now!

Liquor Store cashier?

Customer is sober at the time of purchase, decides to get drunk later that night, go for a drive wreck his car and kill an innocent person; and the cashier who made the sale is responsible?

Psilocybin was discovered in Hansen’s system during an autopsy performed by the Franklin County coroner’s office.

I thought that Psilocybin was converted into psilocin when digested?

...and on a similar note, there is a story in the UK at the moment about how a 16 year-old girl was hit by a train and killed after drinking red wine and vodka.

I wonder if the provider of that liquor will be charged with a similar offence?

Pharcyde said:
Aggrivated drug trafficking? Way to go Ohio, you will alaways suck!
Yeah, Ohio drug laws are totally fucking retarded. I got caught with like two and a half ounces of weed, and the cop just lectured me and dumped it out on the ground. Not even a ticket for that. But another time I got caught with an eighth and a grinder, and got charged with a felony for the grinder, because apparently it's a "criminal tool".

This is just going to fule the rumors and propaganda. Good job irresponsible teens! :|

Liquor Store cashier?

Customer is sober at the time of purchase, decides to get drunk later that night, go for a drive wreck his car and kill an innocent person; and the cashier who made the sale is responsible?

only if the person the cashier sold the alcohol to is under 21, then most definately...

only if the person the cashier sold the alcohol to is under 21, then most definately...

I don't think the cashier could be charged, unless they knowingly sold the alcohol to a minor.
I think that the store might be in trouble, though.

I was talking about a normal sale of the world's drug of choice. Legal adult.

By the same logic as charging someone who sold mushrooms to someone who then decided to jump out of a window for manslaughter, a liquor store cashier would have to be charged with manslaughter if the customer killed himself in a car accident.

Of course that would never happen. :|

If the jumper was a minor who the dealer sold it to, the situation could be viewed as bad, IMO drug dealers shouldn't deal potent psychedelics to minors unless they know the person well and know they are stable. And by minor I don't mean 21. Legal age is 18 in my book. What a strange system where we determine these things by a number; I know many immature and unstable 30 year olds and many mature and stable people who are under 18.

What i would like to know is why teens feel the need to jump out windows now on any drug they can't handle :! . Where i come from just about everyone has tripped on shrooms a few times and i can't think of any death that was caused by it. Alcohol on the otherhand well that's a different story :| . But perhaps i just don't get it or they just report these stories more.

In anycase charging the guy who gave him the shrooms is complete fucking bullshit. So if i give someone a cigarette and they die of cancer years later (a distinct possibility) then can i be charged with involuntary manslaughter?

lol yeah this concept is so stupid it doesn't even make half-way sense. How can they prove that this kid actually sold him the mushrooms though??

Last edited:
william burroughs son wrote how he never liked selling acid or being around his friends on acid, he was like "how do you explain to a cop why your friend is up in that tree "

so if i own a bar, will i get a manslaughter charge if someone leaves my bar drunk and drives into a tree?