• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

KiiiiiiIIIII HAP! -- what do you do to gather your qi / get in the zone?

MyDoorsAreOpen

Bluelight Crew
This is something that is probably nothing new to people who've done martial arts, but for those of us whose typical encounter with martial arts is on TV, you'd be forgiven for not knowing that a fighter yelling ki'ai (Japanese) or ki hap (Cantonese), is actually not just letting out a shrill grunt, but actually saying an old Chinese word (qìhé in Mandarin), that means 'gather energy'. Compare the cry "Team ____, assemble!", except this is just for one person.

When it's time for you to step up to something that really counts and matters a lot to you, and is going to demand the best of what you've got, is there a special thing you do, say, or think, that always just seems to do the trick of centering you and getting you 'ready for battle', as it were?

I find one heavily taken deep breath is usually all it takes for me. I've never been one to talk to myself in the mirror or strike a pose. But I can see how that works for some people.

I'm not exactly a martial artist but I am very interested in energy work. I have experienced kundalini and now am learning to manipulate my chi and use it to heal others (my ultimate goal for later in life).

It depends on the situation, if I need to get "pumped up" or "centered". Pumped up I'd probably move around a bit and get my chi flowing, and then move it through my body, up to my mind and outwards throughout my limbs. When I need to get centered for something (which is most times) I do EFT. Tapping on my energy meridian points and doing deep breathing centers my energy and makes me feel I can handle anything. :)

}I would imagine that this in itself does it for most people>(something that really counts and matters a lot to you, and is going to demand the best of what you've got,) It is the action part really not what you say!

Something owes to spring you to your toes, and if it is enxiety that if you don't take action what will happen, owes to throw you forward. It is like you see a child in the middle of the road, and a car coming towards it, you just jump...or you scream HELL without the action and it is too late!! It is being in the action without the thinking part which may make you procrastinate or delay the action!

>a fighter yelling ki'ai
Release the energy that is sitting there by punching a bag and yelling out certain vowels
will focus your energy, or done with an exercise to get your energy moving, I would say the vowels that have afinity not the ones which restrict your energy flow, such as the "i" or "o"....but ...yes to "a"! Releases and frees lots of energy like the Japanese Marcial Arts! Gets you focussed.

Talk possitively to yourself, that all is going ok. Affirmations definately help as long as you believe them.

Last edited:
Weirdly enough, it seems that the way to heighten my awareness that works most effectively is to surrender my self to God(not Christan god concept, you fucks - Jewish God. Trust me, there's a difference) and pray. I've studied mysticism in the past, and have really finally been able to come to grips with its implications. It seems last time that I prayed I managed to reach a heightened awareness level bordering on super-anxiety, being so aware of the physical that the slightest movements permeated my senses.

I tend to say NAMASTE as a way of bringing myself to focus....

I do an acrobatic sport called Tricking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YbIlbB9TVk (not me)
Whenever i need to psych up for a trick, which can be pretty damn scary at times, i'll usually get angry at myself. Thinking to myself "stop being a pussy and just do it", "put so much power into this that you break something", "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".
Stuff like that.

That tactic works pretty well for any physical exertion type thing

one deep breath for my body and a quick inner focused definite decision to go ahead does it for me. anything more can lead me to procrastinate.

i was watching keanu reeves get all psyched when he was making the matrix, and you'd be forgiven for confusing his routine as one of a boxer. it was actually quite fascinating and entertaining to see.

I mostly start out by not believing in chi :D.

Like I stated before, I find that Chi, like all other Chinese ideas, simply makes no sense to me. I do hope one day this opinion changes, but so far, it has not...

As for answering the question, mantras (repetition and single-minded devotion to that which is being repeated) of all sorts seem to work for me.

I tend to say NAMASTE as a way of bringing myself to focus....

Is this like SUDGAF? sometimes I just think "sudgaf it". usually I just accept the nerve wracking situation I'm about to put myself in, realize that I am indeed going to go through with it, and jump in.

Hmm, Namaste (or Namaskar - not sure of the difference between the two) is standard greeting in India and Nepal. Like everything else in India and Nepal though, it can have deeper meanings if you were to study them.

don't masturbate the night before

also right before I say "do this shit - do this fucking shit" to myself a couple times and shrug/roll my shoulders.

then I get under the bar and rip shit up

or I creep out and jump off the antennae with style

or I jump my bike off a ledge

or whatever I'm doing

(or try at least :D)

death metal works too

^Black metal works better.

Yar, Namaste doesn't mean much to me (in terms of its literal meaning- what point is there saying "Hi, how are you?" when faced with a challenge) but I do it because it seems to draw a definte line between before-and-after. If that makes sense.

What does SUDGAF mean?

I mostly start out by not believing in chi .

Like I stated before, I find that Chi, like all other Chinese ideas, simply makes no sense to me. I do hope one day this opinion changes, but so far, it has not...

See? This is what I like about you. You stated, in a non offensive way, that you don't believe in chi. Because it makes no sense to you. You also remain open to changing your opinion.

This would be a good example for certain other P&S users who don't seem to understand how to state their beliefs without putting someone else down. (sorry to get off topic I'm a little annoyed right now)

For me it's hard to understand not believing in chi, because chi is just the body's energy, in my definition. I guess I can understand how some might not "feel" it or be able to manipulate it in the same way as others.

Lately I haven't been needing to do anything to build up my chi. It's out of control. I'm trying to tone it down if anything! :\

straight up don't give a fuck. we use it as a verb. "just sudgaf it man."

I know it sound lame, but it's actually helped me get through a few panic attacks back in the day. :)

I'm still having trouble understanding your use of namaste. So if you're trippin out about doing something, you'll think "namaste" and every moment aftterwards is the point you 'engage'?
I'm glad you mentioned music, nothing influences my mood more. Especially music with "epic"/heroic qualities, (certain metal, ratatat, trance...) I listen to music to pump myself up almost every time I go out.

I'm glad you mentioned music, nothing influences my mood more.

Oh gosh yes, so so much. Certain songs drastically raise my vibrations, to where I feel like my whole body is buzzing with love and purpose. :)

making 'errrrr!' noises and positive reinforcement always works for me! plus the odd 'common man FUCK just fucking do it!' in my head.

Oh gosh yes, so so much. Certain songs drastically raise my vibrations, to where I feel like my whole body is buzzing with love and purpose. :)

have u heard a group called 'Sacred Earth' ?

Sacred Earth music for inner peace

I haven't yet heard them play live, but everyone tells me it is basically an energetic cleansing/healing experience ~ complete open hearted experience of the Divine

'The Gift' being my personal favourite ~

it's like you've just arrived in the garden of your dreams~ and everything is fruiting/seeding and flowering all at once

okay~ so to activate your chi ... just tap your body (not to hard) all over... start with your leg.. and use your hands to just lightly tap every part of your entire leg... then stop and just breath and feel ... try the other leg ..etc ect

to harness the chi ... standing ... take a nice big deep breath and lift your arms (palms open to the sun/stars) and lift them up like your doing a star-jump (but slower and more in tune with your breath) ...

then on the out breath...once you reach arms length above your head... bring your hands together (like a 'Namaste) and move that energy down down down above your face.. above your heart. . and down to your energy centre around your belly... and just sit with it ... repeat a few times .. great way to centre yourself and harness 'Chi'

~Ommmmmmmmmmmm