• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Reversal of Benzos Tolerance (??)

Charles Ferdinand

Bluelighter
Hi! Long time reader and visitor. Finally decided to participate.
I've been reading my dad's medicine books (both surgeons) and using benzos for anxiety (2 years now: Alprazolam my favorite one)
I'm a noob, so I'm just gonna say it (and using simple words so everyone can post their opinions):
We well know benzo tolerance is (in part at least) caused by the negative feedback system, that is: benzos make your neurons more sensitive to GABA (the inhibitory neurotransmitter of the brain), so your brain gets ultrasensitive to GABA and adapts to the new situation.
So wouldn't it be logical just to "train" it to get the way it was by using a "desensitizer". Yes: Flumanezil, benzo's antidote. First tappering off slowly to get rid of the addiction and then reversing the changes with the Flumanezil. It could be dangerous and nasty I know.
I was just thinking about it and decided to post it to see what you guys think, and (quite) possibly correct me.

Ohh and my intro (please read it so you can get to know me better!):
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?p=7087113#post7087113

Regards!

Last edited:
Yes, there is evidence of upregulation and reduction of tolerance with flumazenil, but treatment is dangerous, and I am not sure you would achieve your desired result.

Personally, unless your anxiety is truly debilitating, I would gradually discontinue the benzodiazepines. It took over a year before I felt "normal" again after discontinuing benzos; the withdrawal was terrible.

Congrats!
IIRC, you had one hell of a tolerance.
Yes, I would avoid using a potentially lethal convulsant outside of medical supervision.

ebola

OP: No, it shouldn't - it's been discussed before :)

Benzos are not direct agonists. They are allosteric modulators. The mechanism is just different from that of flumazenil.

Besides, as ebola suggested, it is a ridiculous idea to toy around with a convulsant in hopes of lowering tolerance to benzos.

xanex .VS. Klonophin

I was taking Xanex for panic attcks for about a year but I was switched to Klonopin due to the fact I had 2 sezuires. We believe the sezuires were from taking the pain medication Ultram because I didn't have them if I didn't take that medication.
Anyway, I don't see a big difference in the two. They both calm me down and good for getting some good sleep.
which one do people think is better?

So Flumanezil would be dangerous even after a succesful withdrawal and after some time? In other words, Flumanezil is dangerous on its own??

btw, I'd go for Klonopin for panic attacks, as someone said here in the forums (dont remember whom): "Klonopin is functional and Xanax is recreational", plus the popular Ashton equivalence table list them almost identical one to another. And Klonopin has a longer half-life.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm

If you withdraw correctly than yes you will experience a drop in tolerance haha.

Obviously if flumazenil is creating competition at gaba-b receptor sites than a chronic user is going to experience a reduction in tolerance even if they're using simply due to the fact that the benzos arent working.

That's not quite the same thing as full reversal of tolerance. I didn't delve into the sea of abstracts to figure out its complete pharmokinetics but that's more or less what im getting out of what i know about it.

i find benzos not to be recreational but xanax is the exception. anything that fun will be hard to use functionally without tempting from its abuse potential.

Slightly offtopic, but since we're talking about Flumanezil anyway; How dangerous would it be to use a little of it as a stimulant for a person without any tolerances?

(PS: Before I get flamed, this is purely theoretical, as I don't even have access to it and I know convulsants aren't exactly safe)

Flumazenil will not work as a stimulant in any appreciable way. If anything, I think it would make you feel like absolute shit, at any dose.

I believe flumazenil has or is used for people suffering protracted withdrawal syndrome from benzo's...That said, I don't really know why.

I've wondered if this sort of drug could actually be better then benzo's for anxiety; initially, it would be horrible, but if you developed a tolerance to it, what would happen?

Flumazenil will not work as a stimulant in any appreciable way. If anything, I think it would make you feel like absolute shit, at any dose.
Well, I absolutely don't like benzo's for usages other than sleep. I hate that dizzy, brainfogged feeling of xanax (haven't tried others). So I thought, maybe the reverse of that would be a nice defogger, although I'm aware of the anxiogenic potential.

^ sounds like you dont have anxiety. From what i've seen those who do suffer anxiety after taking a xanax will feel a perceived Euphoria from the anxiety not being there.. Normal people take a xanax get dizzy/sick pass out & dont do it again.

^I've been anxious, but I really dislike the clouding effects. Same reason why I hardly drink any alcohol, although I love the taste of good whiskey. I'ld rather try to work through things rather than to supress them.

being anxious/General Anxiety disorder is a wee bit different from an anxiety attack/panic disorder. I agree as 2 work through it SUPER CONSCIOUS! As opposed to unconscious .

People need to get out of their heads the idea that Flumazenil is the "opposite" of benzos.

It may block the action of benzos, but it will not necessarily make you feel the other way round.

If you don't like the benzo foggiess, have you tried soberiety?