Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Best Opening Scene

AmorRoark

Bluelight Crew
in a film.

I was watching Kill Bill Vol. 1 last night (it's a damn good example) and realized opening scenes are pretty freaking important to a film. So which are your favorite, the best, the most memorable?

p.s. modgods: I swear, I did a search.

reservoir dog, or pretty much any tarantino, has a big emphasis on the opening moments

the opening is not the only indicator of the worth of a movie, but just like a good book you can get hooked into hours of reading on just the first chapter.

the bullet's journey in "lord of war"

the car ride in mulholland drive
also not that much really happens, the music on this scene was captivating

Trainspotting.

What a song. What a cool intro.

The little things as well. Like when Renton says that one of the worst things is dealing with people telling him that "no way would I poison my body with that filth" as they take a swig of beer or puff on their cigarette.

Orson Welles'
6305999872.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Fantastic single-shot opening that ends with a car explosion.

The beginning of the Matrix was pretty cool. The part where Trinity kicks the cop in the chest after jumping up and pausing momentarily in the air ended up becoming really well-known and spoofed elsewhere.

I love the beginning of The Girl Next Door too. It's basically a bunch of kids talking about their senior memories. A few of them were in the movie, but not as the main characters. It has Under Pressure as a background song, which is kind of overused, but it fit really well here.

it's a load of cheesy nonsense but the opening scene of cliffhanger has me on the edge of my seat anytime i see it.

alasdair

crystalcallas said:
Orson Welles'
6305999872.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Fantastic single-shot opening that ends with a car explosion.

You stole mine.

It really is a breakthrough moment in cinema. A single, three minute tracking shot done before the creation of Stedicam... sheer brilliance.

I also gotta mention the first few minutes of Contact.

Best one I've seen in a loooong while was the opening 15 or so minutes of There Will Be Blood. Essentially no words whatsoever, yet still amazingly engrossing.

^^
I'm a big fan of pretty much any PT Anderson opening scene... with the exception of Syndey. Boogie Nights had a great tracking shot and the whole montage at the start of Magnolia was pretty clever.

Last edited:
Summer Of Sam

Great film. Opening is a murder scene. Spike Lee film that also had alot of influence in production and writing by Michael Imperioli. See this movie.

lots of good examples so far:

i <3 the intro to the aqua teen hunger force movie. for a first time watcher it perfectly set the mood for the unadulterated absurdity to come.

a clockwork orange with it's slow tracking shot away from alex with the twisted music and poetic words. divine.

the one time i saw it, the opening battle in "we were soldier" was particularly unnerving.

oh and who could forget mississippi burning
"you only left me a nigger but at least i shot me a nigger"

L2R said:
the one time i saw it, the opening battle in "we were soldier" was particularly unnerving.

speaking of war movies, the storming of the beach at the beginning of "saving private ryan" was pretty intense