Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS:ABC Online - 23/07/07 'Police warn about toxic ecstacy-like drug'

lil angel15

Bluelight Crew
Police warn about toxic ecstacy-like drug
Posted July 23, 2007 18:02:00

Canberra police have warned the community to be wary of a toxic new drug, which is believed to have caused the death of a 20-year-old man.

The man, from the Canberra region, was apparently at a private party when he took the drug.

Toxicology tests show he had levels of a rare drug called para-methoxyamphetamine (PMA) in his system.

Australian Federal Police (AFP) Detective Superintendent Brian McDonald says it is the first time the drug has been detected in the ACT.

"PMA is very rare, it's the first time it has been seen in the ACT, it has been seen in other areas of Australia and has been recorded as relating to a number of deaths that have happened in other jurisdictions," he said.

Police believe a 20-year-old woman died in Sydney early this year after using the same drug.

Det Supt McDonald says users of PMA often think the drug they are taking is ecstasy, or MDMA.

"It is a very dangerous and toxic hallucinogenic, closely related to the MDMA that is commonly taken," he said.

ABC Online

thanks for the warning afp, but it might help if we were told what to look for? hopfully they will realese what pill or cap it was

I don't understand why people are releasing PMA pills into the community. Why not release bunk pills? Did some shitty cook get sold anise instead of safrole? Did they just sell the PMA knowing what it was to pill pressers because some new ameteur cook wanted to try making MDMA (as the process is very similar, bar the starting chemical) but didn't want to waste costy safrole? Then when his experiment succeeded he couldnt bring himself to throw away a a batch of a drug and wanted money for it..

or we can go internet-conspiracy style and say the government is releasing these pills so people die so they can say how bad pills are, but also not make GC/MS or ion-scanning pill testing legal to show how tough on drugs they are because they cause deaths?

I realised this wasn't a young girl too so I doubt we'll be seeing his parents say how amazing he was and how he loved everyone and the world and God and the bible and liked to dance and teach kids how to paint or do dancing lessons...

Splatt said:
I don't understand why people are releasing PMA pills into the community. Why not release bunk pills? Did some shitty cook get sold anise instead of safrole? Did they just sell the PMA knowing what it was to pill pressers because some new ameteur cook wanted to try making MDMA (as the process is very similar, bar the starting chemical) but didn't want to waste costy safrole? Then when his experiment succeeded he couldnt bring himself to throw away a a batch of a drug and wanted money for it..

or we can go internet-conspiracy style and say the government is releasing these pills so people die so they can say how bad pills are, but also not make GC/MS or ion-scanning pill testing legal to show how tough on drugs they are because they cause deaths?

I imagine p-anisaldehyde or p-methoxy allylbenzene is way less watched than safrole, these days.

I love the way they're trying to make this a "media event." PMA is nothing new, unfortunately.

I imagine p-anisaldehyde or p-methoxy allylbenzene is way less watched than safrole, these days.

It would likely be the propenyl benzene that's employed as it's so widely used as a flavouring.

Or maybe they used PMA cuz some people like PMA? I've had PMA pills once, they made me fucked up, not loved up and I had a good time and I can see why other people would enjoy it but I still prefer MDMA.

^ Did you buy them knowing they were PMA? That's the difference. These people thought they were buying ecstasy, so they used it like ecstasy. If they usually double drop, or drink with their pills they would do the same when (unknowingly) taking PMA, or that can increase the lethality of it.

Warning on killer drug

POLICE are warning people to avoid party drugs after a 20-year-old NSW man died of a suspected overdose of a rare and toxic hallucinogen.

The death, which occurred at a party in Canberra this month, is being investigated on behalf of the ACT Coroner.

Initial toxicology results indicate the presence of the extremely toxic hallucinogenic drug PMA or para-methoxyamphetamine.

PMA is known to have similar effects to ecstasy but is far more potent.

Previous deaths attributed to PMA indicate that users believed they were taking ecstasy.

In February this year Sydney woman Annabelle Catt, 20, died when she took PMA, thinking it was ecstasy.

Symptoms of PMA ingestion can include increases in pulse rate and blood pressure, elevated body temperature, erratic eye movements, muscle spasms, nausea, cardiac arrhythmia.

Daily Telegraph
Edition Z - Drop in 1.30am
TUE 24 JUL 2007, Page 002

Doooofus said:
^ Did you buy them knowing they were PMA? That's the difference. These people thought they were buying ecstasy, so they used it like ecstasy. If they usually double drop, or drink with their pills they would do the same when (unknowingly) taking PMA, or that can increase the lethality of it.
When I took them I didn't know. My friend and I both had one and then later on in the night one and a half and we were lying on the floor under the air con throwing cards at each other cuz we were too lazy to play poker properly. We just assumed they were really strong.

I tested them the next day as my friends kit was unavailable earlier.

What were your test results? Did you use more than one reagent? Colour, speed of reaction, fizz?

phase_dancer said:
What were your test results? Did you use more than one reagent? Colour, speed of reaction, fizz?
o_0 this was in April of 2006 and I honestly cannot remember any of the things you asked, except that the testing kit would've been Mandelin & Marquis. They were green clovers or green clubs.

Grrrr, this makes me so angry. Every time I take pills I worry about having some dodgy shit so I take half first, then a full one or few but i wish i could straight up have a full one without worrying. Coz 9 out of 10 times the half will be shit.

Still no word yet on the type of pill taken? Yet another death that could be avoided if we had a national pill testing program 8)

NSW Police Force renews warning about potentially lethal drug
15 August 2007

NSW Police Force has today renewed its warning about a highly toxic and rare amphetamine, which has been linked with the death of a man in the ACT.

Para-methoxyamphetamine (PMA) was found last month during an initial toxicology screen of a 20-year-old New South Wales man in Canberra.

A warning was issued by ACT Policing on Monday 23 July after the toxicology results were received indicating the presence of PMA.

However, the NSW Police Force has since received information from ACT Policing indicating the PMA may possibly have been sourced from NSW.

Drug Squad Commander, Detective Superintendent Greig Newbery, said today’s warning from the NSW Police Force follows an urgent appeal made in February this year.

“PMA is a highly toxic, highly hallucinogenic amphetamine, which has previously been passed off as MDMA (ecstasy),” Detective Superintendent Newbery said.

“A report from the Division of Analytical Laboratories (DAL) has indicated the presence of PMA in a small number of tablet seizures made by police this year. We are renewing our warning to members of the public that they are endangering their lives when taking illicit drugs.

“New information has been forwarded to the NSW Police Force indicating the tablet this young man is alleged to have taken was yellow with a Euro currency symbol (€) on it.”

The NSW Police Force will continue to liaise with ACT Policing in relation to identifying the possible source of the PMA, he said.

“Our message has never been more important. You risk your life and liberty when taking illicit drugs. The contents, potency and effects of these drugs are an absolute unknown and you are gambling with your life when taking them.”

Detective Superintendent Newbery advised anyone suffering ill effects from drug taking should seek immediate medical attention.

FACTS ABOUT PMA

PMA can cause a range of serious adverse effects including:

• Increase in energy
• Visual hallucinations
• General change in consciousness
• Pupil dilation
• Increased blood and body temperature
• Increased blood pressure and pulse rate
• Laboured breathing
• Nausea and vomiting
• Convulsions, coma and death

Although quite rare, PMA is occasionally sold as MDA or MDMA (commonly described as ecstasy).

Earlier this year the presence of PMA was found in the initial toxicology report of a 20-year-old Sydney woman who had died.

A handful of PMA overdoses, one near fatal, occurred in Sydney in 2004. At the time the victims reported taking red tablets stamped with a Mitsubishi logo. The tablets were sold to the users as ecstasy with street names including:

• red mitsubishi
• red death
• red killer
• Dr Death
• death drug

Six people died in South Australia between September 1995 and January 1996 after taking PMA. All indications are that users believed they were taking MDMA alone and did not realise that PMA was present in the tablet they used.

NSW Police Media Unit

The main point to take away from this article is that they believe the pills containing PMA were Yellow Euros.

Test your pills and keep an eye on your friends. :)

lil angel15 said:
NSW Police Media Unit

The main point to take away from this article is that they believe the pills containing PMA were Yellow Euros.

Test your pills and keep an eye on your friends. :)

Too bad traditional testing kits are useless in finding MDMA and PMA combination pills, unless you want to throw away pills that may also contain MDA or Amphetamine. But they're a good start.

Da Guv'ment never gave me a flaggon, or legal pill testin'! Come on. People are dying. Be Smart, not strict.

Although traditional reagents may not be definitive in identification, they are indicative of what substances the pill may contain. The use of a variety of reagents will obviously narrow down the possible contents and allow the individual to make an educated decision in regards to consumption through cross analysis.

The obvious problem faced with 'combination pills' is that certain reactions may be obscured by a darker reaction, which in turn, can lead to an incorrect identification.

Through the use of reagents we are able to make educated decisions in regards to contents and ultimately consumption. The question that always needs to be asked when test results are inconclusive is;

What is my life worth????

Not saying I disagree, but if you want to be certain you're not taking a pill with PMA in it, spare a third of a pill at least, crush it up and use Robadope tester to confirm if it contains either MDA, PMA or Amphetamine (or another primary amine). If it doesn't change colour, and Marquis and Mandelin show Purple/Black only, then the pill is most likely to contain MDMA or MDEA only, or contain both. If the tester changes colour to a pinkish or salmon colour, to be 100% safe throw it away, as it MAY contain PMA, but more likely MDA or normal Amphetamine if it is an imported pill.
There are though, many psychedelic and stimulant chemicals that won't react at all on any standard testers that can appear in pills from time to time, and MDXX can mask things like small doses of Meth or other drugs pretty well. If the pill contains a pretty active amount of meth, Mandelin will show green quickly before going black.

Remember Pill testers can be bought at Enlighten.org.au (or clicking the Testing link at the top of the forum in the header to buy it in your local store) or if you have some chemistry background you may PM me for instructions how to make any tester not available through Enlighten. If you want a PDF file on many more chemicals reactions not listed on Enlightens instructions, also feel free to PM me and I can send you this file :)