Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Hundreds Turn In People In CU Photos

Blowmonkey

Bluelight Crew
Hundreds Turn In People In CU Photos
Police Offered $50 Rewards

POSTED: 9:04 pm MDT April 29, 2006

BOULDER, Colo. -- Hundreds of people have called University of Colorado police to identify people photographed at last week's "4/20" marijuana smoke-out on Farrand Field.

Police posted 150 pictures online Thursday of people lighting up, exhaling and even streaking at the annual event. For each positive identification, CU is offering a $50 reward.

Tipsters, who will remain anonymous to the offenders but not to police, began calling early Friday, said CU police Lt. Tim McGraw.

"The phones have been ringing off the hook," he said. "One person called in and ID'd five people."

Andrea Hansen, 19, was among the estimated 2,500 people who gathered at 4:20 p.m. April 20. When she heard about the online photos Thursday night, she visited the site immediately. The CU freshman said she was relieved to see she had succeeded in avoiding the cameras, but some of her peers weren't so lucky.

"There are two pictures of my friend," Hansen said. "She got all freaked out."

If police can't confirm that those identified in the pictures were puffing marijuana, they still can be ticketed for trespassing on the closed CU field, officials said.

A person must be charged and cited for tipsters to be rewarded.

Hansen said she was surprised to hear that hundreds of people had responded to the police department's reward offer.

"But $50 is a sack," she said, referring to the price of marijuana. "So there's your incentive."

A Boulder-based group that advocates marijuana as a safer alternative to alcohol said Friday that CU's attempt to punish the 4/20 revelers is "cowardly." Mason Tvert, campaign director for Safer Alternative for Enjoyable Recreation, said CU is treating pot-smoking students like "child molesters" by "sticking their photos online."

"I think this is unbelievable," he said. "They're using money to turn this campus into a culture of informants. If they asked students to call in every time they saw a student drinking, it would be an incredible mess."

Tvert said CU should be focusing its efforts on alcohol abuse and encouraged anyone pictured online to call his organization.

"I'm sure there will be lawyers and other people upset about this," he said. "I don't know what we can do for them, but we're hoping for some public outcry because this is clearly a waste of time and money."

Lt. McGraw said alcohol abuse is a top priority but that CU has to discourage blatant marijuana smoking.

CU spokesman Barrie Hartman said he didn't know how long it would take to identify and charge the pictured suspects. Students could face a $100 fine and a "strike" against their school record, CU officials said.

"But school is out very soon," he said. "So the clock is working against us on this thing."

The "4/20" smoke-out has been drawing crowds for years, but this is the first year CU police have tried to catch participants with online pictures. Hartman said he thinks CU will succeed in charging a "representative sample, to set an example."

But Marc Muniz, 22, said he doesn't think anyone will get in trouble.

"I just think the police are trying to appease the citizens and make it look like they're doing something," said Muniz, a CU senior. "But I don't think they're going to get anything done."
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/health/9104853/detail.html

Here's the site btw, if anyone cares:
http://www.colorado.edu/police/420_Photo_Album/index.htm

what kind of asshole would seriously call and turn someone in?

dilated_pupils said:
I want to know how they got the photos, I'm assuming cameras were setup?
the cop web site says that there were warnings posted prior to the event which indicated that photos would be taken.

nathaniel hawthorne would be very proud of how far america has come in shaming people...

Banquo said:
the cop web site says that there were warnings posted prior to the event which indicated that photos would be taken.

nathaniel hawthorne would be very proud of how far america has come in shaming people...

I'll assume no one took the warnings seriously then. I'd have worn a stocking over my head, or a paper bag with eyes cut out with a mouth. That'd have made for some good pictures on their website.

They should have just moved the location, even though that sounds like a lot of people to get ahold of on short notice.

That's just fucked up.

"I think this is unbelievable," he said. "They're using money to turn this campus into a culture of informants. If they asked students to call in every time they saw a student drinking, it would be an incredible mess."
Exactly

Wow, this is stupid. What makes it even more stupid, is the fact the people that were getting photographed were warned if they went through with it, they would be photoed... I mean, THEY WERE FUCKING WARNED!!
The only people I'm really angry at this, are those who are identifying others.
But, the suspects are just stupid...

Wonder how much people turned themselves in just to get the money

Splatt said:
Wonder how much people turned themselves in just to get the money

Haha!

Seriously though, why would you turn someone in? There is absolutely no need for it. Maybe they should post the faces of the grasses too :X

I would have claimed that I was smoking catnip or some herbal alternative to marijuana.

Just say that you're smoking tobacco and that you just went to the thing as a social event and that you weren't smoking cannabis because that would be wrong. There's no way that they could convict you of using drugs or possessing drugs unless you were stupid enough to admit it. Even the tresspassing charge would have to be droopped if all they have is a picture of you at the event. Just claim you weren't there. They need more than a picture of you to convict you of something. You can't even tell where those pics were taken. I would also sue for them putting my picture up without my consent and accusing me of something I didn't do. Fucking bullshit.

Another thing they could do is just flopod that Tip line with thousands of false identifications. Just keep calling and indentifying people that don't exist. They would eventually have to stop pursuing all tips because most would be wrong. I sincerely hope that the students of CU just aren't sitting back and letting this bullshit happen without doing anything about it.

yeah i figure they cant really do shit unless they can prove that you were ACTUALLY smoking the reefer, which i assume they can't.

how come so many are like smiling at the camera like "take my photo, im gonna be famous!"?

Jakus said:
how come so many are like smiling at the camera like "take my photo, im gonna be famous!"?

It's called standing up for something you believe in. They used to do it in the 60's. Apparently nobody does that to much anymore.:\

This is like the ultimate revenge on someone and you get paid to do it on top of it.

No way they can prove that whatever is being smoked is illegal, could just be a hand rolled cigarette.