View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Texas Cops Make Public Intoxication Arrests Inside Bars

frizzantik

Bluelight Crew
Bar Sweep Sparks Controversy
Comedian Weighs In On Public Intoxication Arrests

The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission sent a message to bar patrons last week.

TABC agents and Irving police swept through 36 Irving bars and arrested about 30 people on charges of public intoxication. Agency representatives say the move came as a proactive measure to curtail drunken driving.

North Texans interviewed by NBC 5, however, worried that the sweep went too far.

At one location, for example, agents and police arrested patrons of a hotel bar. Some of the suspects said they were registered at the hotel and had no intention of driving. Arresting authorities said the patrons were a danger to themselves and others.

"Going to a bar is not an opportunity to go get drunk," TABC Capt. David Alexander said. "It's to have a good time but not to get drunk."

Dallas comedian Steve Harvey agreed with the Texas residents who said the arrests infringed on individual rights.

"If a guy's got a designated driver, go ahead and let him get toasted," Harvey told NBC 5.

Texas law states that inebriated individuals could be subjected to arrest anywhere for public intoxication. Harvey and other North Texans called the measure extreme.

"That seems to be an extreme case," one man said. "You are self-contained, in the hotel, you're not going in the streets, it seems a little ridiculous."

TABC officials said the sweep concerned saving lives, not individual rights. Harvey and others interviewed by NBC 5 said they believe drunken driving to be unacceptable, although Harvey wanted to confirm that the United States remains a free country.

"Freedom of drinking should always be allowed, and it is only American to let a guy get drunk where he wants to get drunk," Harvey said.

Read Original

You posted this early, there's still two weeks until April Fool's Day!

I'm sorry. I know this is a real article. My brain is still having trouble comprehending it.

WOW.

wtf.....u mean ppl drink not to get drunk!? :p
are americans still allowed to drink in their own homes?
cops will do anything to arrest someone - it makes them feel important....

THIS SHITS FUCKIN INSAAAAAANE!

DAMN!!

That is soooooome shit. takes the cake for amazing my ass today, thats for sure.

i cant even begin on how ridiculous this is. publix intoxication...IN A BAR?

*bangs head against wall*

Doesnt it take only 1 or 2 drinks before you are legally intoxicated? Or were they just looking for the people who were obviously drunk? Poke my eyes out I've seen everything.

yeah, this is really crazy!
I hope these cases get thrown out, and then the victims countersue and get huge settlements.

And why the hell does the story have a comedian doing the 'rebuttal' part of the story?

once again, americans just sit back and allow their rights to be infringed upon, just so long as there rich and happy. I think a cocktail of the Molotov variety is in order, no?

Doesnt it take only 1 or 2 drinks before you are legally intoxicated?

Offhand I'd guess it takes around 3 drinks (shots, glasses of beer, etc.) in reasonably short order to make the average adult legally drunk, but that'll vary quite a bit depending on the individual.

Fuck this state. If they tried to pull that shit here in San Antonio, they would have to arrest the whole fucking city.

panic_the_digital said:
Fuck this state. If they tried to pull that shit here in San Antonio, they would have to arrest the whole fucking city.

i read this story on yahoo, heres a link http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060322...2ADW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl
it does mention San Antonio, my favorite part is

"There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car," Beck said. "People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss." now i know there aren't any pools at bars 8(

Last edited by a moderator:
a new level of government oppression, stopping drunk driving before the drunk and the driving ever enter the same sentence.

funks_hybrid, wheres that quote from? it seems so damn familiar."My job consists of basically masking my contempt for the assholes in charge, and, at least once a day, retiring to the men's room so I can jerk off while I fantasize about a life that doesn't so closely resemble Hell."

soon were going to be force into slave labor, watch and see, in Cali cant smoke outside???? Cant drink in bars in TX wtf, We are no longer free, especially if there is numerous new laws passed daily, Soon there will be a law that we cant flush our shit and that we have to bury it in a safe clean area. Im getting tired of our great country

Wow, looks like 75% of Texans will be arrested very soon... Get thos jails ready boys.

I just read this article in the morning paper and just had to jump on here and bump this thread up again.
fucking amazing....

Holy fucking shit. I cannot believe this! I'm from Tyler, Texas, and now I live in Houston. Drunk & fucked up people everyfuckingwhere! I'm literally shocked by this story. Shocked. Here in Texas, they passed a law saying that a cop cannot enter someone's home or apartment simply because they see smoke or smell weed. But they can arrest someone in a fucking bar?! THEY CAN ARREST SOMEONE FOR GOING TO THE DRUNKEN SAFE-HAVEN?! What in the fuck is wrong with the police? Fuck fuck fuck the police.

this is good

druggies and alcoholics unite!

one day the us goverment will push its population too far and all this ridiculous stuff that goes under the header "justice" will be over

I'm gonna start watching on cops when they bring the paddywagon to the bars and start hearding everyone in like cattle! :D