• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Texas Cops Make Public Intoxication Arrests Inside Bars

Can't anyone see whats happening,

1st the government is trying to take our right as americans to bear arms.

2nd they are trying to take our freedom to smoke cigarettes

3rd they are trying to take our freedom to get drunk.

Good think they took our guns away first because they are afraid of an uprising since the american people cant realize that we are being fucked over and over again. When will we as american stand up and say HOLD THE FUCK UP, WE HAVE NO FREEDOM's AT ALL ANYMORE???? WHAT ARE WE FREE TO DO, RELIGION???? THATS IT, IN 10 YEARS ALL WE WILL BE ABLE TO DO IS GO TO WORK.

NEXT LAWS TO COME:

1st: No motorcycles or motor vehicles with out protective barrier

2nd: Must walk in strait line on sidewalks so we look proffesional and less criminal

3rd: No flushing your toilet because the sewers are getting to dirty, must bury feces, but not within 100 yards of water way.

Serious these dumbass laws and shit they keep coming up with is fucked up.

I can just see it now. With all of the people snitching to avoid their own legal problems. A typical scenario might bee someone picking up the cell phone to call the cops about public cig smoking. The cops interview the witness and the witness points them in the direction of the bar.

The cops enter bar to confront the person about the smoking. The smoker goes completely ballistic about the summons and the $250 ticket. Fight ensues, police officer gets assaulted and they add public intoxication to the list of charges. He goes to court gets 5 years for assaulting police officer, all other charges dropped.

Beaten down and tired from slaving away on chain gangs at 10c an hour, he gets nailed 4 yrs later for smuggling cigarettes into the institution. Class 2 felony. 15 years tacked on and the saga continues. Prisoners randomly urine tested for the chemical metabolite of nicotine at the risk of "internal" possession charges. All starting with a snitch and a fucking cigarette. This is the direction our "free" country is headed. The insanity of it all. lol

pIeCE - Wow. I think that way also, but I try to push it out of my head...I hate to admit that you are right, but I'm sure you are. Maybe you should put the meth pipe down...:)

That's rediculous... You can't arrest someone before they commit a crime unless there is reasonable doubt that they will be committing it. What have these people done to incriminate themselves? Indulging in some liquor? Everyday I read something that gets more and more rediculous...

It's pretty fucking absurd, but I can't see it going anywhere. There's a reason alcohol and cigarettes are still legal: money.

The tobacco and alcohol industry have much more lobbying power than the local pigs, especially with something this ridiculous. I wonder what the ACLU and similar civil rights groups are saying about this. (Probably nothing, since I doubt they're out there now putting posters up about heroin prohibition and the likes.)

I saw this on the news yesterday or the day before and I was shocked that it happened and that it isn't a bigger story. But fuck, we've already been down this road before haven't we?

Twilight: I do not use meth. I am a pothead thanks though.

The tobacco and alcohol industry have much more lobbying power than the local pigs

I dunno their power is slipping daily with the billions of dollars beeing funneled to Russia for their cheaper and more superior smokes. Do people even buy American cigarettes anymore?

When the day comes that every single mail package gets searched from other countries, we can thank the US tobacco companies for this, they have their hands in it from incentives/pressure put on UPS and USPS and of course the credit card companies. They are pretty pissed about this and maybee just maybee in collusion with the US govt they have found a new way to preserve interests and at the same time generate capital for state and federal governments.

Its not a matter of how we choose to spend our money but rather who we spend our money with that will soon beecome a "controlling" factor.

Crazy I know, quite cyco actually. ;)

Russian cigs? I've been known to smoke a lot of unusual brands, but I've never seen or heard of them. Everyone I know either smokes Marlboros, or Newports (funny, you could usually tell their race by what they smoke).

Interesting though, do you have any articles about russian cigs in the US market.

dilated_pupils said:
That's rediculous... You can't arrest someone before they commit a crime unless there is reasonable doubt that they will be committing it. What have these people done to incriminate themselves? Indulging in some liquor? Everyday I read something that gets more and more rediculous...
It is illegal to be publicly intoxicated. I'd posit that while inside a bar, you're not in public (it's a private establishment), but depending on interpretation, these people definitely all broke the law.

"Freedom of drinking should always be allowed, and it is only American to let a guy get drunk where he wants to get drunk," Harvey said.

Ahhh, the great double standard towards drug use in our society! I love it when people babble about Smoker's Rights or Drinker's Rights and how they're constantly being discriminated against, and advocate the same sort of treatment towards drug users. Drinking is not a "freedom" or "right", and anyone who believes so is retarded.

Smoking and drinking are privileges as is driving even though some people think otherwise.

I agree that drinking and smoking are privileges, but they are most definitely freedoms, too. Some countries would have your head for smoking a cigarette or getting drunk! Of course, those are shitty countries.

pIeCE - Sorry...what I said was more of a joke than an accusation...hopefully you saw the humor. After all, your rant was akin to something an icehead would say, and I would know! No hard feelings? :)

Dallas CVB Fears Cancellations Over TABC Arrests
nbc5i
March 28, 2006

DALLAS -- The Dallas Convention and Visitors Bureau has been flooded with angry e-mails and hostile phone calls from meeting planners threatening to cancel commitments in Dallas, concerned a trip to the area could land them in jail.

The goal was stopping drunken drivers when people staying at a hotel bar were arrested.

"What has happened in this situation is, it's sort of crossed the line," Phil Jones said.

The CEO of Dallas CVB said national attention focusing on the arrests has changed the motto from "Don't mess with Texas" to "Don't visit Texas."

"If you think they would even consider doing something like this in Las Vegas, you're fooling yourself," Jones said.

Jones has told the governor's office that arresting hotel patrons in hotel bars is a biz-killer.

"I'm getting calls from groups and meetings who are looking at canceling bringing their meeting or convention to Dallas," Jones said.

"It definitely concerns us," the Fairmont's general manager Frank Naboulsi said.
Naboulsi has no problem with initiatives to stop drunken driving but cringes at the thought of conventioneers being arrested in their hotels.

"Allow us to do the job that we're hired to do and allow us to do the job to service the guests that come to Dallas," Naboulsi said.

So Fairmont conventioneers will return as Dallas is hosting two major conventions.

Meanwhile, Dallas is battling new perceptions that visitors aren't welcome.

"What I told the governor's office was that from this point forward, we'll just encourage anyone who's upset or who has something to say about it to just contact the governor's office because TABC is a state agency," Jones said.

TABC said it's only enforcing the law.

The long-term impact of booking conventions is yet to be seen but concerns about the arrests are definitely being heard.

Link