Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Age - 26/02/2006 'Dance party arrests top 60'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Dance party arrests top 60
February 26, 2006 - 3:10PM

Three people have overdosed and more than 60 have been arrested for drug offences at a Melbourne dance party.

But police still praised the organisers of last night's Two Tribes dance party held at Melbourne Park and said that, given the large crowd of young people, the small number of arrests was positive.

"Overall when taken into consideration, the amount of people who attend, the general behaviour of patrons was pleasing," Inspector Eda Whiting said.

Insp Whiting said about 11,500 people attended the dance party and the number of overdoses was far lower than in 2004, when 11 ravers at the event overdosed on Gamma-Hydroxybutyrate (GHB).

Police had warned those attending the event that they would be out in force with detector dogs, booze buses and a drug bus.

Of the 63 people arrested in relation to drug offences last night, five were charged with trafficking drugs. They face fines of up to $3000 and 15 years in jail.

Three of those charged were allegedly distributing GHB, Insp Whiting said.

She said "a considerable" amount of GHB had been confiscated at the event.

Five people were also charged for driving with blood-alcohol concentrations above 0.05 per cent.

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Ambulance Service said three people who overdosed were taken to hospital.

One of them remains in a serious condition.

- AAP

From The Age, also reprinted from AAP, the same story appears on News.com.au

Police charge 63 over drugs at Two Tribes dance party

Police are disappointed by the number of people caught with illicit drugs at a dance party at Melbourne Park last night.

At the Two Tribes party 63 people were caught with ecstasy, cannabis, speed or GHB, while four others were charged with trafficking.

Three people were taken to the Alfred Hospital with drug-related problems - one person is in a serious condition.

Inspector Eda Whiting says the number of people caught with drugs is up on last year's event.

"I think it's disappointing that 63 people were processed," she said.

"I think it's disappointing that three people were conveyed to the Alfred [Hospital] as a result of ingesting illicit drugs.

"But I think overall, given the number that were there, I think the behaviour of the crowd was very pleasing."

From ABC News

it still befuddles me how anyone can stay awake, let alone rave, on G.....

i could find more than 4 dealers at a rave, they seem to be catching lots of users not dealers, its a good use of thier resources :\

^anyone know if the drug bus was saliva testing people driving home after this?

From the reports I've heard it looks like the cops have almost unofficially decriminalised drugs...I know of two people who were busted with small amounts (ie 2 pills, and in one case 1/2g coke)...both spent several hours in a police station, but were let off with a written warning.

IMHO the massive police presence & 60 arrests makes a good visual impact in the community, scares a few people into thinking twice about taking gear to these events, whilst at the same time the cops take a sensible approach to handling end users (and no doubt saving themselves some serious paperwork).

"Police had warned those attending the event that they would be out in force with detector dogs, booze buses and a drug bus"

Can someone please tell me that there will not be 'dectetor dogs' att he Perth 2 Tribes event?

They have not said there will be this kind of police unit attending the Perth event, we've never seen that kind of thing in Perth before. But thats not to completely rule out the police showing up, you can pretty much count on Police being around and as its a long weekend there will definately be a booze bus.

I was at two tribes in melbourne on the weekend. While waiting in line i saw 2 people ahead of me get sniffed by a dog and taken away, it went past me no problems because i wasnt carrying, but the guy right behind me got sniffed and the dog handlers, (there was one handler and three other cops all in plainclothes) asked him to come with them and he said "Nah Nah ive already been done mate"

Then he went on to say that he had been caught earlier in the night for cannabis possesion and he pulled out a caution notice to show them. The cops shone their torches on it and let him go.

Then on the way in we had to empty our pockets and get metal detected, plus there was a pretty large number of police and security inside the event. I didnt see the dog inside the event tho.

Later when we left we walked past the drug bus and a seperate booze bus set up, then walked back into the city down lonsdale st, there were police everywhere, im not from melbourne so to me it was incredible that there were so many in the city at 9:30 on a sunday morning.

Hopefully the Sydney events wont be to bad. i.e (Venue removed).

EDIT: Just found out. Ahhh thank you [moderator edit:venue removed] for being on the same day.

Bionic: please read the guidelines.

EDIT2: Sorry Mods. My Bad

Last edited:
^ Yeah the cops have concentrated on the other event and left TT alone in the past, besides which the last medium sized party in the city and the last big party in homebush i attended the sniffer dogs have been absent so maybe the cops are over hassling ravers (yeah right).

How did the cops get so many people though the sniffer dogs have been used for years in Sydney and i don't think the cops have ever got any where near as many arrests at the tone event, are people in Melbourne just no used to taking precautions?

Last edited by a moderator:
What an absolute waste of police resources. I know its a great PR exercise, but seriously...what does warning 60 kids do to stop this 'horrible drug epidemic that's ruining society'??8) 8)

Guys, please remember the guidelines referring to naming of events, promoters and venues. Two Tribes/Melbourne Park discussion is okay because it was already named in the news article in the original post, but the guidelines still apply to discussion of other locations/parties.

MaXaM said:
"Nah Nah ive already been done mate"

LOL! =D Thanks for sharing that. Interesting to hear police were in plainclothes, that's why I saw a dog and a handler walking around but because I didn't see any uniformed poilce anywhere I didn't think searches were being conducted.

dabb said:
How did the cops get so many people though the sniffer dogs have been used for years in Sydney and i don't think the cops have ever got any where near as many arrests at the tone event, are people in Melbourne just no used to taking precautions?

On the contrary, I noticed that significantly more people seemed to be aware of the presence of sniffer dogs, it would have helped that there was a fair amount of publicity before the event regarding the police activity; including a report on TT on Channel 9 news on Saturday night before the event outlining the size of the police presence.

Speaking to Ravesafe they mentioned that there were still only two dogs so perhaps the police are just becoming more efficient at searching and processing those they catch.

Finally, based on some of the conversations I overheard while lining up to get in, and the number of hiding implements I saw in the first toilet nearest the entrance (condoms, ripped baggies with coffee/pepper/etc) it seems to me that awareness of the dogs at Melbourne parties like this is greater than ever.

^ It was probably just the number of people sniffed come to think of it, i know the police have been able to get around 30 at parties only about half the size of TT (though this is the most i've heard of them getting in one night) so if they managed to sniff most of the people on there way in i could see them catching 60 even if a lot of people took precautions like they do in Sydney.

Btw I'm not arguing but just in case you didn't know because you're from Melbourne the place i mentioned wasn't a venue it's a suburb and there are heaps of venues for parties big and small and a range of different events held there so i wasn't being specific in the slightest refering to it.

does anyone have any tips on hiding your drugs and the smell of them???

well personally i didnt get my bag searched or see one cop or sniffer dog, every time i saw a cop throughout the night they were all standing around chatting rather than conducting searches etc.

i was just wondering i know that 3 people got done by the booze bus, was anyone done by the drugs bus, i didnt see any reports of it.

dabb said:
Btw I'm not arguing but just in case you didn't know because you're from Melbourne the place i mentioned wasn't a venue it's a suburb and there are heaps of venues for parties big and small and a range of different events held there so i wasn't being specific in the slightest refering to it.

Fixed! Oops :)

kryalkastleE said:
i was just wondering i know that 3 people got done by the booze bus, was anyone done by the drugs bus, i didnt see any reports of it.

Someone above mentioned that they saw it on the Swan St bridge. The bus parked outside Vodafone for most of the event was a booze bus only.