• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

have you ever been the target of racism?

MethTheChef

Ex-Bluelighter
be it a racial slur or whatever.

what race are you and what race were the offenders?

<3

MethTheChef said:
...what race are you and what race were the offenders?
I hardly see how asking this is going to have any bearing on the discussion. :|.
To answer you - no.

"I hardly see how asking this is going to have any bearing on the discussion. ."

Obviously. ;x

Last edited:
COTB: How can it not have any bearing on the discussion? I would suggest it's the point of this discussion!

Anyway, I've definitely been the target of racial abuse but at the same time I never felt threatened. I mean, they're just words and being called a 'white slut' isn't that different to being called any other name. I have no idea what country the men were from [it was ongoing abuse] but they were Muslim.

<3

I don't really think listing the ethnicity of the people who were insulting or abusing you is really going to do anything but strengthen the stereotypes that are being thrown around the place after the beach incidents. :|.
I can only envisage a list of races and a tally of which race has the most racially motivated incidents coming from this... but that's just me.

Maybe it's a little presumptuous, and pessimistic.

^before someone starts having a cry about grouping all muslims as arabs, lets just say they were arab, unless they were carrying their korans yelling allahu akbar.

^ I agree with you to a certain extent but I think sometimes people get so caught up in calling white australia racist that they ignore the fact sometimes it goes both ways.

And besides, anyone who would make a tally and consider it a reasonable representation of australian life would be pretty retarded.

"but strengthen the stereotypes that are being thrown around the place after the beach incidents. ."

which stereotypes are those? like that aussies are racist? or arabs are racist? i'm confused. this thread isn't about demonising a particular race.

MethTheChef: They were definitely Muslim, I wasn't assuming anything. They were quite well known around uni. I'm not saying what country they came from because I don't know, I never asked.

<3

up all night said:
...people get so caught up in calling white australia racist that they ignore the fact sometimes it goes both ways.
^I absolutely agree, but I hardly think anything will be proven from listing all of the ethnicities of the perpetrators and the victims, I really don't. :\.
Racism threads have been done before reasonably successfully, but I just can't help but think this one is set-up to document or tally up the different races and pit them against each other as the most racist or the most tolerant.

Fair enough, COTB. I think I'm just interested in this topic because I had a very heated discussion with two people from work a few months ago so I'm interested to hear about people's experiences.

<3

Yeah, I can see a few people at least will be interested. Hopefully it won't result in what I'm fearing. :).

I've been called wog countless times, it's like water off a ducks back.

The only time I have experienced it was when I was in a mostly Aboriginal class in Karratha in year four. I was the the "white one" and a little ostracised for a while. But kids being kids, it was all forgotten about after a few days. I had no clue as to what I had done wrong.

It was weird because I transferred there from Tom Price in 1984. Back then there were no aboriginals in Tom Price, only people who had a job at the mine could live there and coincidentally, no one happened to be Aboriginal who worked there. So I hadnt seen an Aboriginal person before moving to Karratha so dont have any pre conceived opinion about them.

When I was living in Japan there were a few bars that you wouldn't be allowed into because you were a foreigner...so we just found cooler ones!
And in Thailand the people would try and charge you more or take you in the wrong direction but generally once they realised you could understand they would do the right thing.
:)

zephyr... its strange to hear someone speak of tom price or karratha on here... i reckon very few people know where it is.
I myself am from a small country town in WA, but i cant recall facing any racisim myself there.
Now living in the city and going to uni has given me a great amount of 'multi-ethnic' friends... its not really until i met them, that i realised racism is well and alive. And given and recieved by people of ALL enthnicities.

Think about it this way... the easiest thing to attack is someone's appearence... and it requires the least amount of inteligence to think of an insult.

I have been called an " Asian Bitch" before which was kind of strange considering I have no asian ethnicity what so ever.

The only reason I can think of as to why that happened is because I do have almond shaped eyes.
and I have no idea what race the guy was that called me that.

^^ haha, ive been called asian too, after which i nearly punched on in the middle of a peak hour train

anyone who has ever met me wouldnt confuse me with an asian