Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Man, 21, dies after gulping 20 grams of powder cocaine

Skyline_GTR

Bluelight Crew
Man, 21, dies after gulping 20 grams of powder cocaine

Kalamazoo Gazette
5 January 2006

A 21-year-old man died Wednesday after swallowing more than 20 grams of powder cocaine to conceal it from police during a drug bust in Oshtemo Township, authorities said.

Steven Hooker barricaded himself in the bathroom of his North Drake Road apartment at about 1:45 p.m. as members of the Kalamazoo Valley Enforcement Team were searching the apartment, police said.

When officers entered the bathroom, Hooker threatened them with a kitchen knife, according to the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety. Officers used a Taser, a type of stun gun, to subdue him.

Hooker then began showing signs of a drug overdose, officers said. When questioned, he told officers he had swallowed more than 20 grams of powder cocaine, which has a street value of about $2,000, according to police.

Hooker was taken by ambulance to Bronson Methodist Hospital, where he later died. An autopsy was to be performed today, Public Safety Chief Dan Weston said.

Police had gone to the apartment after receiving reports of suspected drug dealing, they said.

More drugs were found in the apartment, including more than a pound of marijuana and suspected heroin and cocaine, according to police. Weston said this morning that authorities were still trying to determine where the drugs came from. Two friends of Hooker's who were in the apartment at the time of the search were questioned but not arrested, he said.

Hooker was wanted by authorities on warrants for violating his probation stemming from convictions on charges of extortion and felonious assault.

Link

If he was in the bathroom why not put it down the sink or the toilet?

Skyline_GTR said:
If he was in the bathroom why not put it down the sink or the toilet?
maybe he was high on some drug that ruins your judgement (the legal one obviously)

Skyline_GTR said:
More drugs were found in the apartment, including more than a pound of marijuana and suspected heroin and cocaine, according to police.

Oh my god, what a dumbass. Did he forget about the other shit, or did he plan on consuming all of that as well?

8)

"Oshtemo Township", sounds like a pretty small place so prices might be high because of that.

Nimrod4154 said:
2000$ street value? Wow, I'd pay 500 tops for 20.

What an idiot.

Wow. What a way to dicksize.

It had a street value of $2k. What HE paid for it isn't relevant to the cops. They're probably assuming he was cutting it into smaller amounts and selling, and that is the guestimate of how much he could make off the amount when selling it.

I'm sure they have some chart to refer to that tells them this shit.:D

you would have to be selling grams at $100 a piece.... that's ridiculous for the united states, at least.

Mmm, step on it, sell the resulting ~40% stuff at $50/gram?

At any rate, law enforcement has a deeply ingrained habit of swinging for the bleachers when they estimate the value of their seizures. :)

funknsoul1 said:
you would have to be selling grams at $100 a piece.... that's ridiculous for the united states, at least.

2 Years ago in my town if you wanted blow you were payin 100 a gram, 250 a ball. Just cause in your town coke connects are high doesnt mean shit.

Besides, you could sell a half oz of coke for 1400 or close to it if you know what your doing and arent gettin high on yo supply

but if you were going to ditch it, you wouldn't eat it...

just flush it!!!

i mean, it would've been different if he tryed to hide it or something.

Maybe it was a last ditch suicide attempt as the thought of spending time in the slammer was too daunting to cope with. Maybe 'the cocaine nigger' would be able to summon extra-terrestrial powers to combat the swat team of police officers, maybe not then

It only comes out to $2,000 to make it look big. It would be 2,000 after the coke has been cut and bagged up into points or grams and sold individually without a price cut.

^ lol i don't get why everyone in this thread is still rambling on about how they got $2000 from. When police seize drugs there estimate is always extremely higher than its actual value. I think they normally work out the cost of one dose say .1g and then times that by 200.

In Australia the police and media regulary report ecsasy as going for $50-60 a pill etc when its not the case at all.

MasterOfTheObvious said:
I'm sure they have some chart to refer to that tells them this shit.:D

it's that page in the back of high times :D

of course cops over estimate the value of drugs.. who's gonna call them on it?

the only reason I can think this guy swallowed instead of flushed is he was hoping to recover them later