• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

going to sleep hungry?

Crunkjuise

Bluelighter
ive just read that your not supposed to eat 3 hours before going to sleep because it is bad for the digestive and you cant burn off the calories in that time or while your sleeping..
but is it safe to goto sleep hungry?
a friend told me that going to sleep hungry will help you lose weight but for some reason this doesnt sound to healthy to me

whats the deal with this?
any advice is appreciated
thxx

I don't think it matters what time of day you eat, the thing that matters is your total calorie intake for that day.
They probably say that going to bed on a big meal is bad for digestion/can make you feel uncomfortable, and yes your metabolisim does slow down while you're sleeping, but you won't lose weight unless your total energy intake is less than what your require, so the timing of your eating isn't the issue.
It is safe to go to sleep hungry, though you will probably find it hard to get to sleep, and maybe wake up in the night feeling ravenous!

Hope this helps a bit

Going to sleep hungry has no effect on weightloss. Think about it; the idea doesn't even make any sense.

There's no reason to go to bed hungry. It's probably best if you don't eat 2 hours or so before going to bed, but starving yourself is ridiculous. Eat something with a low glycemic index, too, like apples--it will help keep you satiated and not hungry during the night.

You're not "supposed" to eat a few hours before you go to bed, but I really don't think its that bad for you if you do eat that close to bedtime. Basically, it just doesn't make sense to pig out right before bed, because you aren't going to work those calories off like you would if you had a large lunch and then were active throughout the day. You don't need all that energy from calories so late at night when all you are going to do is go to sleep. I find that I cannot fall asleep if I am absolutely STARVING. I *try* not to eat right before bed, but I work weird hours, mostly at night, so eating near bedtime is pretty much unavoidable. I just eat something light though, like some fruit or yogurt or a special K bar.

i wouldn't eat right before going to bed. regardless of it's effect on weight-loss, it isn't good to be still digesting food while you are horizontal. i also get hungry before bed but now i just have a big glass of water, like 750mls like 30 mins before bed and as my stomach is full i dont feel like eating as much. it also helps me wake up earlier too;)

I can't sleep at all when i'm starving, i need to have something in my stomach. I don't like the idea of being stationary for <how ever many hours i sleep> and not have anything in my stomach to digest. I duno, just my opinion.

researchemist said:
i wouldn't eat right before going to bed. regardless of it's effect on weight-loss, it isn't good to be still digesting food while you are horizontal. i also get hungry before bed but now i just have a big glass of water, like 750mls like 30 mins before bed and as my stomach is full i dont feel like eating as much. it also helps me wake up earlier too;)

Ditto on the drinking water - if you're really hungry, try drinking some water first.

HOWEVER, being horizontal does not affect your digestive system. Peristalsis moves food through your system evenly and properly no matter which position you're in. Humans can even swallow water while hanging upside down. The only "real" reason to say anything bad about eating right before bed is that it can contribute to somewhat significant weight gain in some people. Your metabolism slows down when you sleep, so if you eat a huge meal right before bed, many of those calories will be immediately stored as fat because you don't need to burn them. And you know all of the stories about "pizza before bed" - certain foods for some reason cause bad dreams in some people.

>>I can't sleep at all when i'm starving>>

same here. if i gotta eat, i gotta eat.

ebola

Most people have this wrong. Studies, common sense and my personal experience have shown that, on the contrary, you should always EAT something before going to bed (like 30 min before).

Most of the body reconstruction takes place during the night, and guess what? Well you need food for this. Eating at 6pm and then at 7am the next day is ridiculous, you are starving your body for 12 hours or more and THIS is how you will slow down your metabolism and play yo-yo with your weight, energy and blood-sugar levels.

I wake up way more energized if I ate something before bed. Not 3 hours before, not 2 hours before, but 30min to an hour.

Simple common sense... Everyone I know who have problems waking up in the morning and need hours just to feel ok and alert eat 3 times a day, and almost nothing after supper. I have yet to see an obese person who eats clean, small meals during the day. Sugary breakfast with coffee, then crash before dinner, then Huge and saturated fatty dinner, then get sleepy in the afternoon, then supper and then fasting for 12 hours.

How absurd... Why do you think everyone is getting fat? We don't know what to eat anymore, and we especially don't know HOW to eat it and WHEN.

HOWEVER.

People who have digestion problem if they eat before sleep do because they eat crap or misplaced meals.

Yes, excessive carbs will be stored to fat if you don't use them, so fruits, juice, chips, whatever are bad for you after supper.

Try to get a low dose of complex carbs as well as a moderate portion of good proteins and GOOD fats. Olive oil and fish oil before bed will do wonder for you body and head and will help you to actually LOSE weight.

All trainers and nutritionists will tell you the same thing. We need to stop the 3 meals a day non-sense. Too big portions and unbalanced meals play havok on blood sugar and digestion. 5-6 smaller meals are the way to go, for everyone, even if you don't exercise.

This way your body is constantly feeding itself and will not go in "hunger mode" - catabolic, blood sugar levels are constant and you will feel much better.

Just try it. Eat smaller meals, eat ALL the time before bed (good proteins and good fats), and in a week you'll have lost weight and will feel much better, with none of this "nightmares" and "gaining weight" nonsense.

Or eat big meals and crap after supper and gain fat and sleep bad.

Or starve yourself and limit the reconstruction of your body, muscle and tissue growth, and fuck up your metabolism and blood sugar (diabetes, here I come!)

Your choice. :\

Blue_Phlame said:
I can't sleep at all when i'm starving, i need to have something in my stomach. I don't like the idea of being stationary for <how ever many hours i sleep> and not have anything in my stomach to digest. I duno, just my opinion.

I agree. I dont know about the health aspects of it, but I absolutely cannot fall asleep hungry either.

I always eat like within an hour before bed...and I always wake up hungry. i also take in ~3500 cal/day. :)

ebola

I totally disagree with eating right before sleep. If I do, I'll feel like shit and fat in the morning.
Anyway, for me at least, it's a big no-no.

I often eat before going to sleep. Lots of foods make you sleepy; going by this it seems to make sense to eat shortly before going to bed.

jubai said:
Most people have this wrong. Studies, common sense and my personal experience have shown that, on the contrary, you should always EAT something before going to bed (like 30 min before). . . . .

I agree with you completely jubai everything you said is right on target. I just thought I'd chime in because everyone else seems to be unsure or incorrect on this issue.

Yeah i eat a bit before bed ,especailly after having a toke or whatnot , plus i have to watch seinfeld which involves a bowl of ceral and some toast maybe at 11 pm lol But as jubai and newskin say ,i believe its ok to eat before bed as long as its not coated in saturated and trans fats ,like chips and cake or something , eat a salad ceral ,fibre filled foods, the best ceral on the market IMO for fibre and taste is general mills Fibre 1.14 grams of fibre + other essiental nutrients.

does this mean that the opposite is true? if i eat alot of food before i sleep, will i gain more weight, cuz i'm a tall guy, but i'm thin. i need to put on a few.

It's tough trying to sleep when your tummy is rumbling. I've been known to wake up through hunger, and need to have like a bowl of cereal @ 3am or something.

I know that some people believe you shouldn't eat before bed, but I personally love that feeling of having something yummy & comforting & then dozing off. This is especially true of milky, creamy foods & carbohydrates. This is because of the link back to childhood, & the link between comfort & relaxation when we taste milk. It has a calming, narcotic-like effect that relaxes the person. That's why sweet, creamy things like ice-cream or chocolate are so comforting, and why a lot of people tend to over-use them when feeling low. Eating these foods provides much more than just taste & satiety, but they also nuture underlying pyschological cravings as well.

Who else has fallen asleep after a really big family meal, like at Xmas? It's the loveliest feeling, eating lots of rich, tasty food & then snoozing on the sofa. Also one of the best things if you can't sleep is a warm, milky drink & a cookie or something. I love tea & a small chocolate brownie before bed (I'm English though & we drink tea like most people drink water).

MissG :)

depends on your metabolism rates. I am not a sugar eather and food can be a pain in the arse I can see myself gowing up to be an old anorexia.

If your hungry before you go to sleep or wake up hunry, i would be concerned about your dailoy eating patterns and the possibility of havin tummy worms. Peoples consume no ends of sugar and expect there tummy to foster sugar montsers.

try drinking water or eating a bit of fruit,

i am smoker, I am toker, I play my music in the dark, no my reduced appetite is a blessing as I have two friends who are over 30 stone thats alot of kilos, when they stay they always get up and raid the fridge even if I warn them not too, its like a food demon takes over them.

its 2am, I am whacked and sleepy, and starving...

night night x

I see a lot of people talking about being hungry in this thread, but not many details.

Personally I've never been hungry, only recently experimented with fasting but only for 36 hrs which isn't enough to notice the missing calories. The stomach does notice not being stretched however, and of course the hardest part is just avoiding the habit.

I'm no good at it so shouldn't give advice but my experience is that you won't feel the need to eat if the food isn't right there in front of you.. usually something else oral will suffice like a drink, a chew, etc.

Hoping to try a week soon.. even 24hrs does make me feel better, during and after.