• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

I HATE cultural ELITISM in ALL FORMS

mariacallas

Bluelight Crew
Mods, i wanted this here rather than in T&a but if it is innappropriate feel free to move it pls thks.

Id like to share this little piece with all of you since it sums up how i feel quite nicely : (a little long but worth it)

I hate cultural elitism in ALL FORMS

cultural elitism: your opinion sucks

The conversation starts off innocently:

"We don't own a television."

Good for you. I admire that. As a tv addict, I know how all-consuming television can be. Unfortunately, any conversation that starts off with that sentence usually devolves in about three seconds.

"We're so much better than you. We're smarter, more cultured and just better people all around. Our shit smells like roses and the sun always shines on our home."

At least that's what's implied most of the time. Most of the no-tv people I've met are evangelical about it. They preach, they rant, they try to convert you. They want to save you. Even if you don't want to be saved.

The cultural elitism doesn't stop with the people who choose not to own a television at all. There are twice as many people who actually have tvs in their home, but only use the "idiot box" to watch PBS or The History Channel. And they'll tell you that in no uncertain terms while they wrinkle their nose in disgust at the thought viewing anything else.

"Oh, Muffy and I only watch educational shows or public television. Everything else is just dreadful. We just don't understand people who watch those - what do you call them? - oh yes, sitcoms. The bane of society, I tell you." Meanwhile, the guy knows damn well that you watch not only sitcoms, but cartoons, reality shows and late night movies with gratuitous sex and violence. He's talking at you, not to you.

I don't like being made to feel as if I have to defend my choice to watch American Idol or Family Guy or any of the other dozen or so shows I'm loyal to. When the discussion about any of this comes up, anyone who says to me "I've never seen a single episode of any of those shows and I'm proud of that" is automatically labeled a prick. You're purposefully insulting me in an elitist sort of way. You are better than me because you watch eight hours of Law and Order a week but you don't watch anything on FOX? Please.

This isn't exclusive to tv watching. There are musical elitists, book snobs, movie purists. They will scoff at your album collection, laugh at your bookshelf and recoil in horror at your DVD purchases. They will think less of you if own any romance novels. Never mind that you have a PhD, you spend ten hours a week volunteering at the homeless shelter and you take in stray cats. You're a lower class of human being because you own the Skid Row box set. You'll be the scourge of the next MENSA meeting when word gets out about your Harlequin collection.

I love television. We have four people and five tvs in this house. Every tv has a cable box attached, with about 500 channels at our fingertips. Do we watch them all? Hardly. Do we watch tv constantly? No. We actually do things like play board games, read, go to restaurants. But in the mind of a cultural elitist, we are neanderthals who stare at the screen every night for eight hours or more, drooling, stuffing our face with chips and beer, and lowering our IQ by five points an hour. Smart people don't watch American Idol. Intelligent people don't even know what MTV is. Good, honest citizens have their remotes (if they have tv at all) programmed to skip over any channel that doesn't have a scroll on the bottom begging you for cash. Of course, those public channels are turned off during the day, and their kid has never even heard of Barney or Arthur. Their kid is better than yours.

I am a cultural swamp, according to the elitists. Even though my book shelf contains the entire works of Shakespeare and Poe and there's a whole section dedicated to the literature of western civilization (I was an English major, you know), somewhere in my trove of reading material is a worn copy of Flowers in the Attic and if that doesn't let me out of the culture club right there, the ten shelves of comic books and graphic novels will.

The music snobs can be even worse. You make a list of your favorite songs - 500 of them - and they come out of the woodwork to inform you that your list is shit because there's no Beatles, no classical music. You try to explain that it's your list, your favorite songs, but the snob doesn't care because he can't understand why his favorite music isn't everyone's favorite music. His is the only opinion that matters and until you get some of that High Fidelity indie music on your list, you're nothing but a corporate whore and you suck, man.

You know what? I like things that you think are crap. I'm listening to Dashboard Confessional right now and I know you are pointing and laughing, but I don't care. And as much as I make fun of Fred Durst, I think that the first Limp Bizkit album is pretty good. I've read Flowers in the Attic about twenty times. Not only do I watch American Idol, but I like Trading Spouses. I've never seen Titanic. Or Gone with the Wind. But I've seen Cannibal, the Musical ten times. It won't matter to you that I have an extensive theater collection on both DVD and CD. My love of Les Miz means nothing because the next song on my iPod after Master of the House is by a band called Anal Cunt. So if I like what you like, I'm in your little club. Until you find out that I also like what you don't. And then not only am I out, but I'm ridiculed, pointed at and told that I'm not worthy of breathing the same air as you.

If you want to be a snob about the things you find entertaining, that's your prerogative. But the minute you start unleashing your tirade of thinly veiled insults at me, I will turn you off like a bad tv show. You are the bane of my existence.

I just thought you should know.

link here
Amen.
And on a sidenote, i actually OWN Flowers in the Attic and That Skid row boxset =D

In conclusion I would also like to say that the elitist attitude of being better/ having better taste/etc is what i despise most.... one can always be passionate about ones preferences whether it be in books movies or music and NOT HAVE TO LOOK DOWN ON OTHER PEOPLE . Looking down can be expressed in many ways...a smirk, an in your face comment, a really shitty presumptuous veiled insult. Whatever. Y'all know what Im talking about I dont need to go into detail. This kind of attitude sucks and I immediately lose respect for the person.

Lately ive had a whole new appreciation for my good friends who dont give a fuck, who dont sneer when I tell them OMG i heard Jon Secada today , (well they DO sneer but its more of a falstaffish secret smirk, u know? not a YUCK and I thought you had some taste and your entire music collection sucks donkey balls sort of look :p8() and vice versa. Where I dont have to be on guard, editing myself just so I dont accidentally look *uncool *. I understand that some people are just naturally guarded and would like to only project a certain image, even if only on a message board, and thats fine. Thats completely understandable, and normal. Thats your choice.
If you're going to tell me that you dont really like my favorite glam rock bands because they are cheesy , repetitive, corny or ridiculous BECAUSE it doesn't adhere to YOUR idea of good music, BUT you respect and can see why I like them, then yeah. Thats FINE. I totally respect you for being honest . Probably laugh with you about the time I actually sang Styxs' BABE in karaoke once really drunk. Blablabla. At least we established a connection and a sincere one at that. And hey
Here is my point: Having a difference of opinion is fine. Looking down your nose at someone because your opinions differ - and then trying to tell the other person that their opinion is insignificant, that they have sucky taste or that they are an idiot because of it is just wrong.

Repeat after me: Even if I cannot stand to listen to {insert appropriate genre of any medium you desire } , I DO NOT think anyone who enjoys {insert genre you mentioned earlier} of {insert medium here} is less of a person for it.

(exempted from this is a couple of neanderthals i despise ..but that is another story ;))
That is all thanks. :)

Last edited:
Take it easy man:):):):). Take a deep breath, close your eyes or somethin lol:).

the majority of the world population wipe their butt with their hands, some people take things way too seriously.

johnmortons said:
sounds like common sense, why such an agitated rant?
[irony] if YOU dont understand whats wrong with cultural elitism, then you just arent as good as those of us who DO understand whats wrong with cultural elitism. you have to realise that those of us who KNOW that cultural elitism is bad have a better culture than those of you who dont get it. youre just not like us, so dont try [/irony]

elektra said:
Take it easy man:):):):). Take a deep breath, close your eyes or somethin lol:).

lol sorry im not agitated, it just came out that way because I just wanted to prove a point. amazing how my frustration got across even if I did not use any cuss words! =D (or did I?)
I just tend to get passionate about stuff I feel strongly about.

that is all. :)

Last edited:
Fuck them dude, we are all friends here, noone is better than anyone.

Many many hugs to you;).
peace

Originally posted by crystalcallas

If you want to be a snob about the things you find entertaining, that's your prerogative. But the minute you start unleashing your tirade of thinly veiled insults at me, I will turn you off like a bad tv show. You are the bane of my existence.

but I thought you watched bad tv shows. :)

Here fuckin' here CC.

I'm so sick of people laughing when I tell them I'm a SCI/Fleetwood Mac/Widespread Panic/Heart/Randy Travis/Karen Carpenter fan. When someone else talks to me about a band I don't particularly like I try really really hard not to say anything that would sound offensive because
1. It's RUDE
2. I know I don't like to feel dumb for the music I enjoy so why would I do that to anyone else?
3. There's no point.. it's not like I'm going to change their mind or would want to anyway

anyone who says to me "I've never seen a single episode of any of those shows and I'm proud of that" is automatically labeled a prick.

That is a pretty ridiculous statement to make given the context of that rant.

I've never seen a single episode of any of the shows that were mentioned, and yes, I am proud of that. If someone is going to pass judgment on me because of that simple fact then I'm probably not going to put much stock in their opinions about elitism.

Totally . . . although, I have been known to do that sometimes, but its usually just cause I don't like that person anyways . . . lol.

If I had a TV I would never do school work. I am a TV addict. I miss Family Guy, and the Simpsons...

Ooh! My pet topic. Has anyone else read Pierre Bourdieu's "Distinction"? Man, it's a chunky one but it raises some interesting points on why cultural consumption norms are so strongly defended.

crystalcallas said:

Repeat after me: Even if I cannot stand to listen to {insert appropriate genre of any medium you desire } , I DO NOT think anyone who enjoys {insert genre you mentioned earlier} of {insert medium here} is less of a person for it.

i disagree. people who listen to destinys child and the like are on a lower rung of society than myself. i dont care what you say.:p

STFU :D
61718destinyschildfall.gif

Last edited:
If you watch bad television, listen to sub-standard music read poorly written books- you aren't a bad person. you just have poor taste.