Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

the shapelle corby televised judgement

CuPillar

Bluelighter
im watching the judgement (coz its interesting, and im a law student and they dont televise judgements in aust, so its good knowledge) and it seems that shapelles 'prior experiance with drugs' is a major point at the moment.

the justices keep refering that schapelle has no prior experiance with drugs...

why is this such a contentious point. i dont believe that her prior usage should play any role in this case.

it seems that the way they are speaking that if she did have prior useage of illicit substances, then teh outcome may be different, or the way they look at it...

i dont htink this is a fair way of looking at it...

discuss?

I don't think this whole process is about what's "fair". That said, I'm not watching this whole thing live because I heard it's gunna go on for about 4 hours. I'd prefer to read a transcript later once I know what the actual verdict is. A four hour speach before telling someone their fate is like those stupid reality TV shows that have a 3 minute pause before announcing a result. "The idol dream is over for....... (3 mins pass).... Shapelle". It's a fairly cruel way of doing it considering what's at stake.

I hope it's all dismissed and the poor girl is paid out for the hardships pressed against her... one holiday gone terribly wrong

Its not worth it... Her life is over... She'll miss out on so many things, she'll never have children or the opportunity to enjoy some of the best years of her life...

Why would you do it.... Yes, I believe she really is guilty... But I guess we will never know the truth

Corby gets 20 years
By staff writers and AAP
May 27, 2005
Advertisement:
SCHAPELLE Corby has been sentenced to 20 years in jail.

In a Bali court the judges said she was guilty of trying to smuggle 4.1kg of marijuana into Indonesia.
Judge Linton Sirait said Corby,27, had "legally and convincingly carried out a crime" by unlawfully importing the drug.

The judges also fined Corby 100 million rupiah ($13,870).

Corby was standing as she heard the verdict and sentence.

"Twenty years?," she said.

She turned to her distressed mother Rosleigh Rose and appeared to shout: "Mum it's OK."

There was outcry in the court as the penalty was announced.

The judges ordered the court cleared.

Corby at first tried to compose herself, taking deep breaths, as the courtroom descended into chaos.

Distressed, she then hugged her interpreter and pushed through police to get to her mother Rosleigh Rose and father Michael Corby.

She kissed other members of her family and was then led away by police through a crush of media.

More to come

Now they will appeal the sentence, I heard on the news last night to the higher level court and then will appeal again to the Supreme court if found guilty again.

This will be dragged on for a long time.

Thoughts going out to her

i hope no aussie EVER goes to bali again. i hope the billion + dollars in aid from my country gets retracted. i hope tsunami after tsunami pounds the tiny islands of indonesia until there is nothing left.

I hope indonesian fishermen caught illegally in aussie waters get 20 years in a 3rd world prison.

I _KNOW_ i'm gonna get flamed for this, too.

flame away :)

a) Corby knew she was going to be found guilty. Hence the relatively calm attitude she displayed (good for her - hopefully the appeal gains some grounds).

b) Much of the "evidence" introduced by the prosecution would be found inadmissible in most countries:

i) lack of fingerprinting on the bag

ii) The highly contentious evidence from the custom officer.

iii) The fact the judge ask the criminologist to look into her eyes and tell the court whether he thought they were the eyes of a criminal (wonder what school of Law he gained that learned wisdom from)

iv) 4 witness who claim they heard her confirm ownership of the cannibis. Four people who do not speak English as their primary language who neither understand nor would be capable of repeating under oath the grammatical nuances in Corby's voice & tone, and the language she used at the time.
How is that credible?

c) The professionalism of the judge to actually discuss the case, with the media, reflects the incompetence, and the failure of the Indonesian legal system to remain impartial and balanced.

When was the last time you heard an Australian judge discuss any case they had, (even 20 years down the track).

For that matter I have never heard of a judge in a western country ever discuss a case they were hearing. Hell Judges get their head bitten off the moment they discuss even the legal system. That alone in Australia would cause a mistrial (look at what happened to those rapist the moment a juror when to the site of the crime).

d) A judge reading a book during a deposition whilst an accused speaks again reflects their incompetence.

I would love for an Australian judge to review the evidence tendered in the the Bali court and give an opinion as to whether or not a) the accused would be put on trial b) whether the prosecution had provided beyond a reasonable doubt Corby was guilty.

In summary the prosecutions case was simply based on a single premise: Possession is nine tenths of the law. In reality it was flawed and only accepted because of an incompetent and ignorant judge.

On a personal note I will never spend another dollar for goods or services provided by an Indonesian.

I'm with you on that (waspman⌐)

As the prodigy says (fuck them, and there law)

waspman⌐ said:
i hope no aussie EVER goes to bali again. i hope the billion + dollars in aid from my country gets retracted. i hope tsunami after tsunami pounds the tiny islands of indonesia until there is nothing left.

I hope indonesian fishermen caught illegally in aussie waters get 20 years in a 3rd world prison.

I _KNOW_ i'm gonna get flamed for this, too.

flame away :)

You can't codemn an entire nation of people for what their government/legal system does.

Some of those Indonesian fishermen are fishing waters their families have done for centuries before we decided that we owned them.

And the aid isn't for the government it is for the people who were affected by a great tragedy.

If that was the case I would wish storms like those who hit perth on the whole of Australia.

However I do think boycotting Indonesia for a while would make an impact on their government, considering their economy relies fairly heavily on our tourism.

You can however condemn the indonesian people for accepting the indonsian government.

More to the point from reading Indonesian blogs (who write in english) & media they whole heartedly believe she is guilty.

I have yet to see a single indonesian say (or even imply) otherwise. For them to stand silently (at the very least) at such injustices shows their as bad as the ignorant & stupid judge.

Thats simple,cos they fukn hate australians just as much as the arabs do,its partly religious and partly to do with east timor.Here we are giving them obscene amounts of aid when they have got an army of 300,000 waiting on our doorstep....Looks like all they have been doing with it is buying arms,probably been using the tsunami money to line thier pockets too.CORRUPT AS FUCK

FUCK THEM - the poor girl, come on people!! 4.1KG?? maybe an ounce if the girl wastrying... even so - is there nothing australia can do? even a threat of pulling aid or something!! If OUR fair (crap and disgusting baron wasteland) of a country would stand up for it's own.. hell if this was an american ,bush would have launched an attack on indonesia, saying they're holding an american hostage, aus would have backed the fuckers too!!

for the money they've spent on her defence they could have hired a few ex S.A.S. and sent them in there to get her out. No one would have to know and the Indonesian government would be so embarrassed they probably wouldn't say anything.
I'm not saying she isn't guilty, I really don't know what to think. But no one should have to locked up in another country. Especially a country that seems to want to make a martyr out of whites, because they think that we think they are of a lower class. it is the only time they will have a form of "power" over the western world and they want to make the most of it.

There is so much ill-informed racism through generalisation in this thread. I'm very angry, but I'm not going to comment further because I understand these are heated responses to her verdict. I'll say my piece in a day or two.

^ I just know from experience that people blow up and say things they don't really mean when they feel hard done by. I know I've done it. I'm saying there's racism evident, but not calling anyone a racist (that's not my place).

Condemn the Indonesian people for their governments actions? I doubt they have much choice. This is like hating all Chechnans(spelling?) for the actions of a few. Just why do you people care about the girl, do you have any actual connection to her except for the fact that she may have smuggled a drug into a country and got busted? The media should get the fuck out and let the country handle its own problems, however mismanaged by them. Corby's an attractive, young and most importantly WHITE Australian...hence the media and public outcry. I wanted to murder those two tourists who went outside the court room to "show their support". This is essentialy the same as those who gather at the scene of an accident, hoping desperatly to get a glimpse of the gore. It's a pity our society has degraded into sensationalism and the celebration of celebrity.