• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Partially Hydrogenated Oils (trans fats)

frizzantik

Bluelight Crew
A year or two ago I decided to cut out all transfats from my diet. Since then i've noticed that rarely feel tired after a meal (aka food coma) and my digestive tract is so much happier. I used to wake up almost every morning with a sour stomach, but now it's fine.

Has anyone else tried to cut out transfats and noticed similar results?

I try to avoid trans fats but it's hard considering that a lot of products try to hide the information. Maybe once 2006 hits (and all products have to list it) it will be easier to completely avoid.

I do feel healthier since I've cut them out of my life.

I've also cut many processed food in last 2 years and I feel much much better. Also I can't remember when I had any problems with my stomach. When I checked my blood, doctor told me my blood results were one of the best he ever saw :)

How do you cut them out? Arent they in margarine and oils and stuff? What do you use to cook with?

I've cut out most hydrogenated oils. If I eat a whole bunch of them, they make me feel like I'm about to shit my pants. Then when I sit on the pot, I can't shit. Its a terrible feeling!

I hate that chemically engineered shit.

MynameisnotDeja said:
How do you cut them out? Arent they in margarine and oils and stuff? What do you use to cook with?

what do you mean? it's only in margarine.. i use olive oil as much for cooking as possible and butter for baking.

as far as products just look at the lables.. if you see "partially hydrogenated" then it's got transfat. it's really not that hard to avoid... you might have to give up oreos and chips ahoy but there are other brands that use butter like newmans own. also making stuff yourself ensures there are no transfats :)

after a while i started to recognize the texture of foods that have it.. its kinda plasticy and not "normal"

There are also a few brands of margarine that don't use them. Earth Balance is a good one. It has no milk products or transfats and tastes/cooks exactly like butter.

MynameisnotDeja these fats are not in oils, just processed food like margarine, candies, some canned meat products and so. Also keep in mind that olive oil is not good for high temperatures, so use some other for that. Sunflower, corn and soybean oils are not unhealthy. They all contain good stuff, it's just that total intake of oils is problem. Food fats from meat, milk and butter are bad fats, they contain cholesterol.

I never eat transfats. They're one of the biggest health threats currently in the world. Transfats and high-fructose corn syrup.

WTF is transfats?

Here in aus i know of saturated, mono unsaturated and poly unsaturated fats. I also understand what each means in terms of chemistry.

Hydrogenated fats i assume mean that there are no spare bonds for the fat to accept any more hydrogen atoms - ie it is a saturated hydrocarbon = saturated fat. is that correct?

frizzantik said:
what do you mean? it's only in margarine.. i use olive oil as much for cooking as possible and butter for baking.

as far as products just look at the lables.. if you see "partially hydrogenated" then it's got transfat. it's really not that hard to avoid... you might have to give up oreos and chips ahoy but there are other brands that use butter like newmans own. also making stuff yourself ensures there are no transfats :)

after a while i started to recognize the texture of foods that have it.. its kinda plasticy and not "normal"

Okay so its only in margarine..and you can use butter? I always thought real butter was bad for you..and thats why people used margarine..so would using butter be good? I am talking about stuff like making mashed potatoes..you need something to make it good and buttery..my mom makes mashed potatoes without any margarine and I think its the grossest, blandest thing ever..I dont think she puts ANYTHING in there.

Hmm and I dont eat any sweets or junk food..just a lot of buttery pasta sauces and potatoes and stuff....

butter is ok for some people and bad for others. it's highly mucus forming, which isn't so good, but it's good for people who are weak and defiicient and need lots of fat. butter is definitely a lot less harmful than most margarines. it's much better to use clarified butter (ghee) than it is to use normal butter, however.

try making your mashed potatoes with soymilk and olive oil or with earth balance. tastes just as good as mashed potatoes with butter... for pasta, olive oil is the only way to go.

Difference between butter and margarine is source of fat. Butter is made from milk fats and contains cholesterol. Margarine is made from vegetable oils and doesn't contain cholesterol. So just by looking at these margarine is better, but since that vegetable oils today are so processed and hydrogenated in process of making margarine, it's also bad. Which is worse I couldn't say, and I personally do not eat any. But I do drink 1 liter of skim milk per day :)

Does anyone know of a way to identify trans fats without the specific labeling? Also, do chocolates usually have a lot of trans fats?

potato said:
WTF is transfats?

Here in aus i know of saturated, mono unsaturated and poly unsaturated fats. I also understand what each means in terms of chemistry.

Hydrogenated fats i assume mean that there are no spare bonds for the fat to accept any more hydrogen atoms - ie it is a saturated hydrocarbon = saturated fat. is that correct?

hydrogenated oils are regular oils (soy bean oil, canola oil etc.) that have been chemically engineered to have a longer chain. In other words, they take regular oil and add extra hydrogen and carbon to the chain.

The reason they do this is to make the liquid oils solid at room temperature. When hydrogenated, oils aren't broken down by the body as easily.

jubzie said:
butter is ok for some people and bad for others. it's highly mucus forming, which isn't so good, but it's good for people who are weak and defiicient and need lots of fat. butter is definitely a lot less harmful than most margarines. it's much better to use clarified butter (ghee) than it is to use normal butter, however.

try making your mashed potatoes with soymilk and olive oil or with earth balance. tastes just as good as mashed potatoes with butter... for pasta, olive oil is the only way to go.

Hmm..interesting. The pasta sauce I enjoy making calls for three tablespoons of margarine or butter. Are you saying to replace that with olive oil? Because that doesnt seem like that would taste good. :\

yup, just use olive oil.

the human palate is incredibly adaptable. it adjusts to sugars, fats, and salt very quickly. if you use these in excess it will dull your palate. when you cut down or stop using these intense flavors, food will taste bland at first, but within a week you will start tasting subtle flavors in your food that you didn't even know where there before.

Jimmy the Gun said:
hydrogenated oils are regular oils (soy bean oil, canola oil etc.) that have been chemically engineered to have a longer chain. In other words, they take regular oil and add extra hydrogen and carbon to the chain.

The reason they do this is to make the liquid oils solid at room temperature. When hydrogenated, oils aren't broken down by the body as easily.

Cheers!

I din't even know they did that but it makes perfect sense. I steer clear of margarine cos it tastes like crap imo. I love the taste of butter and tend to go overboard when i have it on toast. I do all my cooking with olive oil, which is expensive but i really like the taste and its by far the healthiest.

I also think that olive oil goes really well with pasta too. So i guess its just what you're used to.