• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Partially Hydrogenated Oils (trans fats)

MynameisnotDeja said:
Okay so its only in margarine..and you can use butter? I always thought real butter was bad for you..and thats why people used margarine..so would using butter be good? I am talking about stuff like making mashed potatoes..you need something to make it good and buttery..my mom makes mashed potatoes without any margarine and I think its the grossest, blandest thing ever..I dont think she puts ANYTHING in there.

Hmm and I dont eat any sweets or junk food..just a lot of buttery pasta sauces and potatoes and stuff....

Margarine is made with hydroginated vegetable oil. They have to add extra hydrogen chains in order for it to solidify, which is much worse for you than the saturated fat in butter.

Jimmy the Gun said:
hydrogenated oils are regular oils (soy bean oil, canola oil etc.) that have been chemically engineered to have a longer chain. In other words, they take regular oil and add extra hydrogen and carbon to the chain.

The reason they do this is to make the liquid oils solid at room temperature. When hydrogenated, oils aren't broken down by the body as easily.

Not quite. Hydrogenating fats involves heating them under pressure in the presence of a nickel catalyst. Vegetable oils usually contain a lot of unsaturated fats. Hydrogenating (adding hydrogen) turns these fats into saturated fats and hardens the oil, making it useful for baking etc.

Fats are made up of fatty acids. Saturated fatty acids have the maximum number of hydrogens attached to the fatty acid carbon chain. Unsaturated fatty acids contain one or more carbon-carbon double bonds. In most natural fatty acids these are in a "cis" arrangement (see picture) but the high temperatures and pressures from hydrogenation can form the "trans" version.

If you repeatedly reuse oil for deep frying you'll form trans fats too.

Attachments

• fattyacid.jpg
    fattyacid.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 83
>>Margarine is made with hydroginated vegetable oil. >>

Some quality margarine is made of canola and coconut oil instead...it really does taste better too.

ebola

ebola! said:

Some quality margarine is made of canola and coconut oil instead...it really does taste better too.

ebola

I was going to say, there ARE margarines you can buy made from healthier oils.

Canola spreads are one, and there's even a "margarine" called Olivo or something, made from Olive Oil. Shop around!

It doesn't make too much of a difference from what oil you make your margarine out of whether or not trans-fatty acids are present in the final product, it has to do with the temperature you hydrogenate at. In other words, one can make a corn oil margarine with no (or close to no) trans-fatty acids, and one can make an olive oil or canola oil margarine high in trans-fatty acids.

This is all academic in my view, though. Crisco and margarine are for the godless heathens. Theologically speaking, olive oil is the sacred liquid by which we anoint our kings, light our temples and sautee our onions.

"And thou shalt command the children of Israel, that they bring thee pure oil olive beaten for the light, to cause the lamp to burn always."

Exodus 27:20

And if you need something solid at room temperature, use butter, like G-d intended.

"Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good."

Isaiah 7:15

>>It doesn't make too much of a difference from what oil you make your margarine out of whether or not trans-fatty acids are present in the final product, it has to do with the temperature you hydrogenate at. In other words, one can make a corn oil margarine with no (or close to no) trans-fatty acids, and one can make an olive oil or canola oil margarine high in trans-fatty acids.>>

We're talking specifically about margarines WITHOUT any hydrogenated oils.

^ Okay my pendantic friend, it's "not margarine" ;) But it IS a spread :D

Actually just to make sure that we're on the same page... this is the type of product I'm refering to:

http://www.florapro-activ.com.au/index.asp

Are you saying it still has trans-fats? If so, is that because of the way it's processed? If I had a cholesterol problem I think I'd still choose the plant sterol spreads over butter.... I just can't see how something that's heart healthy is bad. But in general I agree with trying to cut most processed foods out of the diet. And I lurve olive oil :) :)

Last edited:
Dude, plant sterol spreads totally aren't in the Tanakh, either.

"Flora pro-activ is not suitable for frying due to the reduced fat content"

That's some hurting ass shit right there. It couldn't possibly be delicious.

>>That would be "not margarine."
>>

but i feel rather silly calling a solid vegetable-oil preparation a "buttery spread". :)

ebola