• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Discussion: Atkins Diet

j22

Bluelight Crew
Atkins Diet Induction Phase

Im ay 3 of the induction phase and sick of eating slabs of meat >:O

Recipes? ideas? Anything.

i know I can only have three cups of vegetables, 2-3 ounces of cheese, and unlimited meat every day for the first 2 weeks or so.

Today I've had egg and a slice of ham.

Can someone help fill me up with the induction phase ideas?

appreciate it

Shawnzo

Shrimp Scampi :) It's good stuff.

Another thing - invest in some LC tortillas - I couldn't make it without them. I use them in place of bread - instead of a sandwich, I have a wrap. You can have fajitas with them, quesadillas, and so on.... I also made fake thin crust pizzas with them.

You can also microwave some pepperoni (30 seconds or so) blot of the grease, sprinkle some cheese on them and microwave them again until the cheese melts -yummy.

My husband eats cauliflower and broccoli everyday with some cheese sauce over it.

Pork rinds are your friend - very versitile. You can crush them up to make a breading for chicken, use them in eggs to make faux french toast, or my husband dips them in hummus.

Also, depending on how much weight you have to lose, you can use some of the Atkin's products, such as the bars (for some of us that are too lazy to make breakfast). They are intended to be meal replacements when you cannot cook. Just dont' go overboard - the sugar alcohols can stall some people.

I made a shake for breakfast most of the time, since I cannot cook in the morning. It was 3oz cream cheese, 1/2c of EggBeaters, 1/4c heavy whipping cream, and 1 tablespoon of sugar free flavored syrup - blend it up in the blender. Lots of protein, and a good amount of fat.

I also drink a lot of Diet Rite - I cannot give up soda, and it is sweetened with Splenda. Be sure you are getting at least 64oz of water each day though, and soda does not count toward your water intake.

I'm sure I'll think of more later, as if this isn't enough junk ;)

Some recipes....

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cans chicken broth
2 bags frozen chopped broccoli
3/4 pound American cheese -- cut into cubes
Salt -- to taste
Freshly-ground black pepper -- to taste

Bring broccoli and broth to boil, simmer 5 minutes, and add American
Cheese cubes. Heat on low until cheese melts, add salt and pepper to
taste. If soup is too thick, add heavy cream to thin to desired
consistency.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 226 Calories; 18g Fat (72.7%
calories from fat); 14g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 54mg
Cholesterol; 1066mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Fat.

Deep Dish Pizza

4 ounces cream cheese
3 eggs
1/3 cup cream
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
= (canned will work)
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 cups mixed Italian cheese
1/4 cup low-carb pizza sauce
1 cup mozzarella cheese
Desired pizza toppings

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Beat together cream cheese and eggs until
smooth. Add cream, parmesan cheese, and spices and mix again.

Spray oblong casserole dish with Pam. Sprinkle 2 cups Italian cheeses
into dish and pour egg mixture over it. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20
minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes.

Spread on pizza sauce, sprinkle 1 cup of mozarella cheese and pile with
your favorite toppings. Then sprinkle with more parmesan cheese. Return
to oven and bake until bubbly and browning. Allow to stand 10 minutes
before cutting.

This recipe yields 4 servings; 5 carb grams per serving.

Comments: Carbohydrates per serving do not include toppings. Most meat
toppings are carb-free, but you will need to check.

Basic Meat Sauce

5 pounds ground beef
6 medium onions - (to 8) -- chopped

1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons minced parsley - (to 3)
1 can no-sugar-added tomato purée - (15 oz)
1 can no-sugar-added tomato sauce - (8 oz)
1 1/2 cups chicken stock or both
Salt -- to taste
Freshly-ground black pepper -- to taste

In an 8-quart stock pan, sauté chopped onions and carrots in olive oil
until limp but not brown. Stir in minced parsley and let it go a bit.
Transfer all to a big bowl and set aside.

Brown ground beef in the pot in 1 1/2-pound batches, transferring to the
bowl of vegetables. Add tomato purée, tomato sauce, and chicken stock to
the pot and stir to loosen the good stuff stuck to the bottom.

Return everything to the pot and simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cool to room temperature, then
package in 2- or 3-cup freezer containers. Date, label, and freeze.

This recipe yields about 4 quarts; 7.8 grams of carbohydrate per 1/2 cup
serving.

** Tip - Dreamfields pasta is great for Atkin's

Shrimp Scampi is not something that requires rice or pasta! It refers to the method in which the shrimp is prepared. :)

Shrimp Scampi

Lemon, wine and garlic are classic complements for shrimp. This dish is a snap to prepare and is always a hit.

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
pinch red pepper flakes
metric

1. Heat butter and oil in a heavy skillet over high heat until foam subsides. Add shrimp and sauté, stirring frequently, until shrimp are pink and slightly golden, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until aroma is released, about 1 minute.
2. Add wine, parsley, lemon juice, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer to heat through. Serve immediately.

yougene said:
Atkins diet makes you stupid.

Not thinking before you reply makes you stupid. Contribute something to this thread or cut the useless comments.

I WANT A FUCKING KING SIZE SNICKERS BAR AND A COKE SO BAD RIGHT NOW!!!!!

God dont bless day three withdrawels.

:x :x :X

/walks into thread with huge chocolate chip bagel, looks around, walks away smiling/

:)

yea, but if you order shrimp scampi anywhere, youre not going to just get shrimp

MOS said:
Not thinking before you reply makes you stupid. Contribute something to this thread or cut the useless comments.

The brain needs carbohydrates to function properly. You cut enough carbs and your brain starts lagging behind.

yougene said:
The brain needs carbohydrates to function properly. You cut enough carbs and your brain starts lagging behind.

What makes you think you don't get carbohydrates on Atkin's? There is no way to live without carbs. Can you tell me how many carbs your brain needs? Please point me in the direction of this information. Besides, last I checked, this wasn't a thread about if someone should go on Atkin's, but a thread about what to eat.

chrissie said:
yea, but if you order shrimp scampi anywhere, youre not going to just get shrimp

Not necessarily - Red Lobster serves it as a small oval dish with just shrimp, no pasta, no rice.

MOS said:
What makes you think you don't get carbohydrates on Atkin's? There is no way to live without carbs. Can you tell me how many carbs your brain needs? Please point me in the direction of this information. Besides, last I checked, this wasn't a thread about if someone should go on Atkin's, but a thread about what to eat.

Not necessarily - Red Lobster serves it as a small oval dish with just shrimp, no pasta, no rice.

I was told this by a knowledgeable trainer but a quick google came up with this.

"Your body can and does take stored fat (as triglycerides) and incompletely breaks it down into ketones, which can be used as a fuel source for muscles and organs. To completely breakdown body fat, you need glucose and oxygen. If glucose is not available for fuel by your limiting dietary carbohydrates, your body learns to run on ketones, but your brain doesn't. Your brain gets sluggish because it only runs on glucose. Your body starts breaking down muscle and organ tissue to provide the needed glucose for brain tissue. Protein contains glucose in its structure and it can be scavenged for use by the brain and nerves. Quick weight loss diets claim they spare muscle protein, but they don't. A diet high in protein and low in carbohydrates does not spare muscle protein from being broken down, unless you eat enough carbohydrate. As you continue on a high protein, low carbohydrate diet, the amount of ketones increases and ketosis occurs. Ketones are very irritating to your kidneys and the kidneys try to get rid of the ketones through the urine."

http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1003

Looks like it isn't very good for health either, just an effective way of losing weight. Sort of like speed.

This thread isnt about your negative opinions on the diet - it's about tips to succeed. If you don't like it, don't go on it, but why must you insist on harassing those who choose to? if it works for them, fucking fabulous. you don't like it, that's fine too.

Why rag on others???

BTW - there are a TON of opinions and research on the atkins diet - both negative and positive, just like EVERYTHING ELSE. So, one link shouldn't be enough to convince anybody on the positives or negatives of something.

I read up on it big time before I started.

I started to get chocolate cravings really bad for a Snickers bar, so I went for a run and I feel 110% better now. Man that helped.

another link describing possible affects of atkins diet on the brain.
http://www.atkins-diet.cc/Article46.phtml

I'm not ragging on the atkin's diet I am presenting information on it. There is nothing wrong with presenting potential fall-backs and dangers of something.

Another thing about studies, pay attention to who does the studies and who the studies are funded by, they could be complete bullshit, or they can be legit.

There is plenty of information negative and positive on the internet - but this thread is specifically talking about tips on the induction phase - stay on topic - its good for you.

Tip: If you want to start an atkins hatred thread, then your information would be great in there!

Trust me, my dad is a personal trainer.

He's already lectured me on it. He pointed me in the right way to go about it though. I'm still going to run every day, and when I move into my new place within the next week do the running at 6 AM and the workout when I get home from work at night,