Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What does a deaf RAVE sound like?

Daimo

Bluelighter
What does a deaf rave sound like?

Club nights for the deaf and hard of hearing are growing in popularity. How do they work?

Thumping bass. Throbbing beats. Music so loud it can be physically felt.
Clubbers don't need to use their ears to get a feel for the music - the dance floor experience can be picked up through the rumble of a pumped-up bass line.

On Saturday about 900 clubbers turned out for a deaf rave at the Rocket club in north London, the fourth event in the past year run by Troi Lee, who was born profoundly deaf.

And on Wednesday night, Radio 1's Gilles Peterson is among the DJs who will take to the decks at Deaf Jam, a one-off club night to raise money for deaf charities.

How do these events differ from a regular club night? Volume, says organiser James Hoggarth.

"The volume may be pushed a little further and the bass turned up to 11 so the purpose of the night can be truly be shared with the deaf and hard of hearing crowd."

He first got the idea when he put his hands over his ears one night out clubbing, and realised that he could feel the music as strongly as he could hear it.

"So I've asked the DJs to pick music with big chunky bass lines and heavy rhythmic tracks. Michael Jackson's Billie Jean, which has a big panther of a bass line, is bound to get an airing; and one of my must-plays is LFO, a techno track from the early 90s famous for shattering club sound systems."

The event will be held at Plastic People, an east London club renowned for its powerful sound system (and heavy duty sound insulation).

Deaf clubber Ashton Phillip, who went to the Easter Saturday rave, says the music is much louder than at regular club nights.

"You feel the music in your whole body. As it gets louder and the vibrations get stronger, everyone cheers and dances.

"The DJs played R 'n' B, rap, reggae and hip hop. Most deaf people couldn't tell what kind of music was playing from these vibrations. Some thought it was rock when it was really R 'n' B because both feel like heavy music."

And Shahid Hussain, who travelled down from Bolton for the rave, says he never believed music could create such strong vibrations. "I could feel it in my chest and my feet; it made me feel like I am flying."

As at a regular club night, the lighting changes colour to reflect the music. The stage, too, is more brightly lit so that deaf clubbers can see the performers signing on stage. At Saturday's rave, these included a deaf Australian comic, a rap contest using hand signals, and karaoke in which soloists signed the lyrics to popular tracks.

"It would be hard for deaf people to have a good time without lighting,"
Ashton says.

"Many deafies prefer to chat than to dance, but it was quite difficult to talk to each other - not much lighting on the dance floor, only on the stage. But it was a brilliant time."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/3621529.stm

it's good to see something like this taking place to what usually these people would miss out on. :)

There is a certain hog that would no doubt have some good input on this thread.... whenever we are out together, I always wonder how different his perspective of the night is to mine.

Something I would love to know, but hope I never find out, if you catch my drift :)

you'd be better off sitting in a $2 massage chair at the local shops while waving a flashlight in front of your eyes.

then again, i think the $2 massage chair is the best alternative to many things........

A deaf rave would sound like a tree falling in the woods without anyone around, or possibly like one hand clapping.

That is so, so cool.

I've met a couple of deaf ravers in my travels - there was one guy at Hyperactive II who was a really nice dancer, and told me he could feel the beat through his clothes. I was as high as a kite at the time and thought it was the most awesome thing I'd ever heard, but I've thought about it a lot since then.

When I get to London, I will definitely make a point of seeking one of these things out and report back. Might have to use earplugs to try and get the full effect..?

so incredibly incredibly cool.

i want one. here. in melbourne...

*runs to talk to her aunt who works at a deaf school*...

I wasn't aware they were the latest accessory?

Deaf ravers: the new alternative to a gay friend. 8)

well they can't hear all the stupid shit you are most likely to say if you trip on x

^^^ not if you cover your mouth or look away from them, which is what i do to most of my friends.

mmmm Foxy is right..... about the "certain hog" :D

Not easy for me to reply......

ozbreaker said:
can you imagine lip reading whilst munted?

Nope.... I cannot even read my own writing or lip-read if I am very munted and middle of peak when I have got bad eye wobbles from nice dose of MD** ;)

I usually get senory overload at raves. I can hear everything, but I don't recognise the noise/type of music and I am pretty senstive to other senses to make up for my hearing loss.

fuck I was off tracked at MIRC and chatrooms.... its like almost 3am.... will finish off later......

Cheers,

Urbie %)

P.S. - to BloSs0m & Joellercoaster - why its so "cool"??? we are humans for fuck's sake not some handbags for ya to show off to your "pals" that you have something "different" for entertainment purposes. Idiots. :p

I am offended with some comments here.

Playing Peacekeeper

...I honestly don't think BloSs0m or Joellercoaster meant their comments in a condescending way; let's not forget there's no context on the internet so it's easy to read intent mistakenly. Of course, I could be wrong as I'm not them but if anyone has anything further to say about it I'd rather it be done by pm or email so as not to derail the thread.

I too think it's awesomely cool...a lot of people have very narrow perceptions about the way the world works; for example, sighted people are often surprised to hear that blind people go to movies. I think it's great that the deaf community can enjoy the clubbing experience without having to worry about being a fish out of water as it were; not that I'm saying they shouldn't go to clubs in general, but I can imagine that it may not always be an easy experience...communication barriers can lead to frustration for both parties if they're unable to understand each other easily. So I think it's good that there's a night where someone who may be profoundly deaf can go out and not feel like he may need an "interpreter" for dealing with the dicks who can't be bothered making a little effort themselves.

Them's my thoughts, scattered as they may be at this time of morning.... :\ 8) :)

Sorry for getting off tracked with comments.

:eek: I apologise for going over board, I take back what I said....... I need to slow down with my homebrew beer, gee they were strong :eek:

8o

Anyway back to where I left off........

Yeah, I had time to think about and re-collect from my past expereinces at raves, and orgionally I didn't even go there for the music or whatever, I just was way too fucked up to notice the music at all, or even bothered danced, I just was often on my arse, chatting to interesting random strangers via my trusty notepad and pen.....

And I think it was back in March or Late Feburay when I started to notice and try to start expereimenting feeling the music and its styles when These English Dj's Hixxy and Scott Brown played their sets in Brisbane, and thats when I started to take a closer look and try to feel the vibes and things like that...... and it "felt" right for me..... and later on down the track When DJ Lisa Lashes played her set.... I really loved the beats and the vibrations her set was giving off......and I asked few people in MIRC and asked what styles they are... and they told me Happy Hardcore and Hardhouse...... So I know fuck all about music so I guess I am into the Happy Hardcore and Hardhouse if that gives you any rough idea at all to say what "vibrations/feelings" I prefer and can relate to while I am high as kite somewhere on Mars.

Going to raves with notepad and pen is classic IMO, because most of people have random chats and talk shit and don't remember, but I have it all recorded on notepad, and its so funny to check out the next day of people and myself writing styles. I have few already in my collection. ;)

Its pretty hard for me to explain what I am really expereincing at raves its more of senory overload for me most of the time. :)

Will try add more later if I can..... damn hard for me to describe.

Urbie %)

P.S. Sorry again about my above comments..... :\

ozbreaker said:
can you imagine lip reading whilst munted?

it's hard enough to hold a conversation the morning after a huge night out due to forgetting what you've/the other person has said.

Imagine being deaf and in a room of all your friends who are still very much in this same state, they'd be halfway through handsignalling something and totally forget what they were 'signing' out.

This thread is phenomenal, I feel so ignorant not knowing this was taking place. :|

That said, now I do know, I think it is just amazing.
Put a huge smile on my face, knowing this is able to reach deaf community, a group who many see as somewhat limited and deprived of many experiences [which I know may or may not be the case, as I don't have any personal experience to draw on - - - and I do more than appreciate that deaf people are definately whole people, no offence was intended].

And ROFL at your notebook, Hog, wow, that would be great to see. :)
I'm sorry you saw some of these comments as offensive...I think sarcasm was being used with no real indication.

this is absolutely fantastic news! i wasn't aware such things took place. But i guess it would be very unfortunate for the hearing impared community to miss out on a good party simply bc of that fact :)