Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Superstitions

haste

Bluelight Crew
Many cultures are full of them and there reasons are many and varied.

Of course there is the standard - don't walk under ladders, number 13, seeing a black on a friday night etc etc.

My mum had a few that she made us adhere to in a way, many in rooted from greek orthodox belief, such as:

If someone is lying on the floor, don't walk over them as it brings bad health, as kids we were told it would also stunt their growth.

If you drop a piece of bread, pick it up and kiss it before throwing it - bread is the gift of god and should be respected.

Others that come to mind that I've heard of...

The idea of a bakers dozen,i.e thirteen is thought to have come from an old belief that the baker had to keep his peace with the devil and so baked twelve for the baker and one for the devil.

FEET It is considered to be luckier to put your right foot out of the bed first in the morning.
If your feet are itchy, you may be about to go on a journey.
If you wear your shoes out on the inside of your foot first, it is said that you are mean..If you wear them out on the outside of the foot first, you may be inclined to be extravagant.

FINGERS It is of course wrong to tell a lie, but if you cross your fingers whilst you lie, some of the harm will be undone, it is said..

If two people say the same word at exactly the same time, they should link the little finger of their right hands together, make a wish, and say the name of a poet..Their wishes will come true only if they each say the name of a different poet..

HANDS If the palm of your hand is itchy, it is said that you are going to be rich..It is also said that rubbing the itchy hand on wood is a way of ensuring that the wealth will actually cometo you..

What superstitions have you heard of and do you believe in any yourself? Have you come up with any yourself?

You certainly are coming up with some great threads of late, Haste.

I was exposed to the walking over people one - I even remember tormenting a younger cousin by walking over him and refusing to go back the other way (supposed to undo the initiall transgression)

The itchy palm was also adhered to but with a little twist - if it was your left palm you would be receiving money; the right and you would be giving it out.

Toes - if your big toe was shorter than the one next to it, your mother would pass away before your father.

I know there are heaps more, but the only other ones that come to mind are dream related.

Oh and I don't believe any of them

quiet roar said:
YI was exposed to the walking over people one - I even remember tormenting a younger cousin by walking over him and refusing to go back the other way (supposed to undo the initiall transgression)

ah yes, I forgot to mention that one was reversable ;)

Don't ever take drugs. :)
There are so many chinese superstitions, but i forgot them all =(

What about the chicken wishbone pull, whoever manages to snap the biggest piece using their little finger gets a wish? I always wish on that hehe.

When the geckos stop chattering, someone is about to die. My Malay friends told me that, and I can't help but get scared when I hear a gecko nearby and then it stops 8o

my mum always told me not to put new shoes on a table because it brings you bad luck and i still won't do it.

My grandparents tell me that when you have cobwebs about it means you won't get married *finds more spiders*

not to sing while eating dinner because you will get a stupid husband (they are obsessed with getting me married for some reason)

and you can not give orchids as a present inside the house (must give it to them outside) because it will bring that person bad luck

FRIDAY THE 13TH - how did Friday the thirteenth become such an unlucky day?

Fear of Friday the 13th is rooted in ancient, separate bad-luck associations with the number 13 and the day Friday. The two unlucky entities combine to make one super unlucky day.

There is a Norse myth about 12 gods having a dinner party at Valhalla, their heaven. In walked the uninvited 13th guest, the mischievous Loki. Once there, Loki arranged for Hoder, the blind god of darkness, to shoot Balder the Beautiful, the god of joy and gladness, with a mistletoe-tipped arrow. Balder died and the Earth got dark. The whole Earth mourned.

There is a Biblical reference to the unlucky number 13. Judas, the apostle who betrayed Jesus, was the 13th guest to the Last Supper.

A particularly bad Friday the 13th occurred in the middle ages. On a Friday the 13th in 1306, King Philip of France arrested the revered Knights Templar and began torturing them, marking the occasion as a day of evil.

In ancient Rome, witches reportedly gathered in groups of 12. The 13th was believed to be the devil.

Both Friday and the number 13 were once closely associated with capital punishment. In British tradition, Friday was the conventional day for public hangings, and there were supposedly 13 steps leading up to the noose.

It is traditionally believed that Eve tempted Adam with the apple on a Friday. Tradition also has it that the Flood in the Bible, the confusion at the Tower of Babel, and the death of Jesus Christ all took place on Friday.

Numerologists consider 12 a "complete" number. There are 12 months in a year, 12 signs of the zodiac, 12 gods of Olympus, 12 labors of Hercules, 12 tribes of Israel, and 12 apostles of Jesus. In exceeding 12 by 1, 13's association with bad luck has to do with just being a little beyond completeness.

FRIDAY THE 13TH - how is fear of the number thirteen demonstarted?

More than 80 percent of high-rises lack a 13th floor.

Many airports skip the 13th gate.

Airplanes have no 13th aisle.

Hospitals and hotels regularly have no room number 13.

Italians omit the number 13 from their national lottery.

On streets in Florence, Italy, the house between number 12 and 14 is addressed as 12 and a half.

Many cities do not have a 13th Street or a 13th Avenue

In France, socialites known as the quatorziens (fourteeners) once made themselves available as 14th guests to keep a dinner party from an unlucky fate.

Many triskaidekaphobes, as those who fear the unlucky integer are known, point to the ill-fated mission to the moon, Apollo 13.

If you have 13 letters in your name, you will have the devil's luck . Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, Theodore Bundy and Albert De Salvo all have 13 letters in their names.

Wow! I'm really intrigued by supertitions. All the ones i know about have already been mentioned and i don't REALLY believe in alot of them, but I still can't help but take precautions when necessary! :)

I was extremely interested on the info you posted about Friday the 13th.... i was born on Friday the 13th

After reading all of the above...should i be worried? :(

Truthfully i consider to have been fairly lucky in my life so i'm not really superstitious about the whole Friday the 13th thing :)

Some which floated around our family:

* Putting a peice of wedding cake under your pillow means you'll dream of the man you are going to marry (resulted in much squished cake to be cleaned off linen in my youth ;))

* Never open an umbrella inside (not sure what's meant to happen)

* If you spill salt, throw some over your left (?) shoulder

* Step on a crack, break your mother's back (one I was HORRIBLY scared of, and made every effort to avoid cracks in the pavement)

* Pinch and a punch for the 1st day of the month - a school favourite ;)

Oh yeah, Doofqueen reminded me of another one:

If you sit at the corner of a table you wont get married.

&

If you pour a drink backhanded the person will get drunk.

Apparently all the pictures in your house should be a little bit crooked. If they are straight then house demons sit on them and bad things happen.
If they are crooked the demons slide off.

lol catax, you are so cute :) hahahaha...

Here's a chinese tradition. you should finish each and every single grain of rice in your rice bowl, otherwise the girl you're gonna marry is going to have a LOT of freckles! (despite this, im still too lazy to in my youth)

When holding your chopsticks, if your index finger is pointing out, you'll kill your mum. (or shorten her life span)

The lines on your palm each mean something. The lines that bend with your thumb muscle is your 'life line'. The more complete and longer it is, the longer you live. If its broken anywhere, that's supposed to symbolise you'll die half way or something.

Keep all your fingers together and peer through them. If you can see big holes, that means you're gonna drop a lot of cash.

The chinese word 'luck' is supposed to be upside down. if it is upside down, it is supposed to symbolise that you'll be getting luck. But there is a lot of controversy about this.

There is a little yellow piece of paper you get in the buddha's monasteries that has been blessed, and accompanying it is a jade/stone of some kind. You are supposed to keep this with you to keep away the spirits, and is supposedly contains your essence. If anyone touches it- ANYONE - you get bad luck and your good luck leaves.

All bullcrap, in my opinion :p

Break a mirror and you're doomed to have bad luck!

Never put shoes on the table, EVER!

When you wish for something cross your fingers, apparently your wish will come true.

If you're lying, cross your fingers and your lies won't be as bad.

If you get mascara on your face it means you will live a sad life. ;)

Oooh, oooh, I have another one. If you catch one of those "Fairies" (or Santa Clauses) - you know, those white fluffy things which blow around in the breeze - you can wish on it, then blow it away. But you can't tell anyone your wish or it won't come true.

My boyfriend thinks there's another part to this; it has to have a "middle bit", whatever that means, or you can't wish on it. I say :p to that.

hehe he's right - it needs to have the little stick thing in the middle ;)

I think superstitions come from earlier times in the history of man, when we knew less about the world around us and had to try and make some order out of the chaos. Early man must have been perpetually on his toes looking out for danger.
Superstitions are all about avoiding supposed dangers, or somehow investing in good luck.
I'm not saying that good and bad fortune don't ever manifest thru superstitious activity, but really, we know that we are manifesting this stuff ourselves, so why create unecessary anxieties for yourself?

Anyway, that's my philosophy.