Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Favorite David Lynch movie?

thejesuslizard

Bluelighter
Film: Favorite David Lynch movie?

(just curious as to any other Lynch fans on the board)
For me I'd have to say...

1. Eraserhead

2. Blue Velvet

3. Mulholland Drive %)

^^^ i've seen eraserhead, and while it was good, it was more of a headfuck and a bit of self-indulgent cinematography than anything else. like, i enjoyed it, but it was difficult to draw too much from it, especially when you look at how much you can get from his others.

for me, it's gotta be mulholland drive - it's my favourite movie of all time! blue velvet is damn good though, so that's second.

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned Crumb . . . not too many documentary fans here, but I would assume many bluelighters were into Crumb's drawings and animations like Fritz the Cat . . .

^ 'crumb' was directed by terry zwigoff :)

my favourite lynch movie is a tough call - a close one between wild at heart and the elephant man

alasdair

onetwothreefour said:
^^^ i've seen eraserhead, and while it was good, it was more of a headfuck and a bit of self-indulgent cinematography than anything else. like, i enjoyed it, but it was difficult to draw too much from it

How is this any different from any of his other films? Aside from his serious films like Elephant Man or The Straight Story, his movies are open to very broad interpretation. They all seem to be cinamatographic wet-dreams lacking in any obvious narative. I think the only reason he is so critically acclaimed is because his movies are SO completely obtuse that most critics are afriad too admit that they don't get it.

In my humble oppinion, the best way to get into the true meaning of Lynch's films is to read the screenplays. There you can actualy find his intentions behind every single facial expression, every single movement, every single line he writes. I know Lost Highway made A LOT more sense in screenplay form than it ever did in the actual film. Every nuance of an actors performance is put onto paper before it is put onto film, and it makes a HUGE differerence.

Check out script-o-rama.com to see what I mean.

Adios,
Steve

^^^ i think it's very different to his other films. mulholland drive, whilst being possibly the most confusing film ever made, is still very "readable". check out lynch's ten clues to unravelling the film, read the reams of information (trichome's stuff is amongst the best) on the google groups archives of alt.movies.david-lynch, and go read the piece the salon did on the film.

his movies can be understood, you just have to dig a little deeper. trust me, i've done quite a few essays on the subject :)

The Twin Peaks prequel Fire Walk With Me deserves a mention here. Hugely underrated, I think it’s his most psychologically interesting and harrowing film, whether or not you were a fan of TP.

Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive would probably be the others in my top 3, but apart from Dune and Elephant Man (which I thought was a pile of sentimental tripe) I’ve loved every film he’s made.

fire walk with me i like
along with the elephant man
cannot pick one because i dont see a true comparison that could be made between such differently aimed and styled films really.

They all seem to be cinamatographic wet-dreams lacking in any obvious narative

his movies are like great abstract or surrealist art that you may not understand but can appreciate because of it's ability to provoke you mentally or emotionally

^ i agree.

i think there's a tendency in some people to over-analyse art.

i'm not saying that's "wrong" or has no value or whatever but sometimes, to enjoy art, the answer is to let it wash over you rather than to pick it apart like a car engine you are fixing :)

alasdair

The Elephant Man was the first Lynch film I ever saw... when I was 4. My parents thought it'd be good to expose me to how cruel people can be, but what happened was I gained an INTENSE phobia of the man with the bag. I avoided it in Blockbusters until last year when I had to write a paper about our biggest fears... and attemped to get over it. Strange I know, but sometimes that stuff just happens.

Mullholland Drive was predictable to me and so I didn't really enjoy it too much...

Dune is deffinetly a masterpiece and the only Lynch film that I've seen and liked.