• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Zyprexa blocking Adderall?

Grand Touring

Bluelighter
Is it possible that Zyprexa (olanzapine), which has an antagonistic affect on Dopamine 1-4, could have a higher affinity to the D receptors? What's more, if not, could it even be producing a blocking effect? Because I used to have a great reaction to Adderall, but ever since I've been put back on it along with the Zyprexa, I either don't get much from my prescribed dose, or I have to take well over my rx dose to get any relief. Thanks

Yes it will block it, in fact the exact purpose of Zyprexa is to block the type of effects that Adderall causes in the brain (to put it really simply). An atypical antipsychotic like Zyprexa should never be taken together with a stim unless your goal is to completely end the effects of the stimulant (works great for OD's and comedowns in my experience).

Are you implying that a doc put you on both at the same time? Unless im missing something obvious here that's utterly counterproductive.

Yes, both are prescribed by the same doctor. I believe I will stop my zyprexa immediately or switch to something else. But the z-drugs like Ambien and Lunesta don't even touch me. It also sucks that Zyprexa has the long half-life that it has. I am wondering how many days without the Zyprexa will I start to feel the effects of the Adderall?

Ok but check with your doc first, im sure there is a reason why both where required.

For example I myself used stims all the time (rec) and also Seroquel every day which is basically the same as Zyprexa .

They can both be used daily even if not necessarily at the same time.

For example adderall in the mornings for the rest of the day and then Zyprexa for sleep sounds perfect in my opinion.

I'm prescribed zyprexa 10mg before bed and I take amphetamines/cocaine and have noticed that it's a much more mild feeling while on zyprexa, but the longer you go without zyprexa the closer you get to a normal stimulant high. If taken at the same time the zyprexa will completely block amphetamines.

Zyprexa is an atypical antipsychotic, so it must have been prescribed for a specific reason.

It will block everything in fact, that is it's function and it's purpose, please speak to the doctor who prescribed it and ask him the reason why you need to be on this medication.
There might be a very valid reason for this and you need the facts, don't mess around with anti-psychotic medication, just get the facts from your doctor and not the internet.

Once you've got that info let us know and we can take it from there.

Zyprexa is an atypical antipsychotic, so it must have been prescribed for a specific reason.

It will block everything in fact, that is it's function and it's purpose, please speak to the doctor who prescribed it and ask him the reason why you need to be on this medication.
There might be a very valid reason for this and you need the facts, don't mess around with anti-psychotic medication, just get the facts from your doctor and not the internet.

Once you've got that info let us know and we can take it from there.

It was simply prescribed for sleep as I have no response to the z-drugs. And have also struck out with doxepin, seroquel, and trazadone.

It was simply prescribed for sleep as I have no response to the z-drugs. And have also struck out with doxepin, seroquel, and trazadone.

Ok, thanks, yeah docs do prescribe anti-psychotics "off label" for sleep and if they are working and helping you sleep then there shouldn't be a problem.

So if they are having a negative effect on your Adderall, then you need to just tell your doctor what's going on, personally I think taking anti psychotics for sleep is like swatting a fly with a sledge hammer, but it does work with certain patients, but in your situation I think there are lot's of other insomnia medications out there that will help you sleep and have no effect on your Adderall.

You just need to discuss this with your doc sooner rather than later and keep us updated on this if you can.

Thx for responding, I needed to know if they were prescribed for schizophrenia or just as a sedative (off-label) before I could comment further.

I agree with the fly analogy! But thanks for your concern and attentiveness regarding my question/situation. I will in fact keep an update here on how I transition, as I'm glad I had the little pharmacological knowledge to at least raise a red flag with it.

Can't wait to have the necessary changes made to feel the adderall again!

shreddedlettuce is correct, as usual, that an atypical antipsychotic might be a huge overkill when prescribed for sleep in normal situations, however i believe that for somebody who is taking a prescribed amphetamine daily and might still be effected by it in the evening, a drug like Zyprexa might be the only way to get to sleep by blocking the stimulant when going to bed.

While it seems logical to me, as this is exactly how i used antipsychotics when using stims, im not sure if its a responsible healthy habit moving forward (even thought it is very effective and practical). It would be interesting to know what your docs justification was for this combination.

So a little update: I had been put on Abilify simply just as an adjunct to my ssri before the amphet. So after having stopped my Zyprexa for a week and not noticing any therapeutic effects, I thought a little deeper and duhh, Abilify is an anti-psychotic too. So I'm in the process of attempting to titrate down from the Abilify albeit the 'shocks' withdrawal symptom I get. But this all still seems worth it, because I was fixed when the dextro was working spot on.

Follow-ups on the way.

Thx for the updates.
Is this the same doctor as before?
I'm sure it is.
Is there a reason why he/she is set on prescribing anti-psych's for insomnia?
I mean this is the 4th one, and the results are 0 out of 4.
Is there something in your medical history that we don't know about?
We need to know all the facts to give you the best advice.
Let us know either way (yes there is something in your past or no there isn't - and I mean psychological, addiction or both or either or something else).

You don't want to "attempt" anymore (pro-longing agony isn't worth it), so the quicker you reply the quicker I can try and guide you to a better medication and/or medical professional for your SPECIFIC ailment. (you need to clarify if it is only insomnia or is there more to it.......hope you understand what I'm asking here.)

Full disclosure = quicker and more accurate solutions.

Last edited:
wow! if seroquel did shit for your slepp olazapine def won't do sqwat!

Thx for the updates.
Is this the same doctor as before?
I'm sure it is.
Is there a reason why he/she is set on prescribing anti-psych's for insomnia?
I mean this is the 4th one, and the results are 0 out of 4.
Is there something in your medical history that we don't know about?
We need to know all the facts to give you the best advice.
Let us know either way (yes there is something in your past or no there isn't - and I mean psychological, addiction or both or either or something else).

You don't want to "attempt" anymore (pro-longing agony isn't worth it), so the quicker you reply the quicker I can try and guide you to a better medication and/or medical professional for your SPECIFIC ailment. (you need to clarify if it is only insomnia or is there more to it.......hope you understand what I'm asking here.)

Full disclosure = quicker and more accurate solutions.

Full disclosure: I do not have schizophrenia, bipolar, mania, nor have I been diagnosed with any of the former. I am in between doctors right now due to a conflict of interest in my last rx doctor. Like I mentioned before, the Abilify was simply just an adjunct to my ssri. Now, I'm in the midst of switching from Prozac to SJW as I have had WONDERFUL results to St. John's in the past. Since i have cessated my Zyprexa quite a bit, I do feel effects of the Adderall, albeit mild though--better than nothing!

There is an element of addiction in my past. Though it may have an impact on where I am currently, my klonopin and adderall do wonders in keeping me clean.

wow! if seroquel did shit for your slepp olazapine def won't do sqwat!

I got the worst reaction. It felt like my insides were trying to crawl out--or like ants running throughout my system. Apparently it does have a name, but I forget it.

Are you implying that a doc put you on both at the same time? Unless im missing something obvious here that's utterly counterproductive.

It's not uncommon for doctors to prescribe anti-psychotics for sleep when someone has a script for adderal or the like.

Akathisia.

I get that too on anti-psychotics, which is why i absolutely hate the things in all regards.

Zxprexa is quite the evil drug. My new doc put me on it, don't ask me why. He thinks it'll take care of my mild depression (he won't rx me any anti-depressants even though I can't make it out of bed for s***). At first, it made me so sleepy, it was pure hell. It worsened my depression from a 3 to a 9. I just couldn't stay awake. Not at night and during the day - let's just say it was a challenge. I didn't want to stop taking the zyprexa, so I tried to find a legit way to combat the extreme drowsiness and general fog. I soon discovered that chain-smoking would slowly eliminate the effects of the zyprexa, but you needed like 4 packs to do it. It was getting expensive, but it was the only way I could have any type of enjoyment.

Then one day I took a pretty good dose of zyprexa, just for the hell of it. Instead of just passing out, which was my intent because I needed sleep, I found myself wide-awake. It was like I was on a stim, even though I wasn't using any stims. Just the zyprexa and klonopin. I felt really, really, good. I turned on my xbox, set videos to replay, and had a blast. It was like rolling without any true stim effects as I remember (it's been a while since I've taken MDMA). It just kept going and going, I felt all these great sensations. I didn't feel the need to do any more work than usual, so I wasn't tweaking per se - I just had this need to listen to music eternally. And for an eternity it lasted. This same dose of zyprexa worked just like that for the next week. I still got sleepy at night, but I'd save my cigarettes for when I got really tired.

In another week, I was running low on zyprexa (at least for the effects I wanted). I decided to forget about the whole thing and just take zyprexa as needed, it's not like you'll go into seizures if you don't take it (more likely to develop NMS if you take it for a while).

I still can achieve this effect with zyprexa, but I need to take a proper drug holiday, that means even reducing cigarettes (which is tough as hell). But 3-4 days later I emerge victorious and I'm on a zyprexa roll again.

Sounds funny, I know. I don't want to encourage anyone taking zyprexa to do what I'm doing, some might consider it dangerous. But until my doc prescribes desoxyn along with 2 mg of xanax 3 times a day this is all I have :) LOL desoxyn that makes me laugh I never heard of anyone scoring that script. I could only imagine meth with my zyprexa and some cigs and red bull. Hmmm.....

Thorazine was an absolutely horrible drug for me. I was Rx'd it back in 2000. Within two hours, I felt completely numb - but not the good numb. My body was detached from everything, like an LSD trip gone wrong but with ZERO tweaks. I remember telling my psych doc at the time that it was like that for me, and he just laughed and said, 'well, we all make mistakes.' Reminds me of the time he rx'd me zoloft. The first hour was amazing. My depression was gone, I was eating out with a girl, pulling all the moves. Then I began to hear a very intense ringing in my ears. I told her I had to leave. I went home and put on some music but to no avail. I began to hear voices for my first (and last) time. I called my doc emergency and he said that, although rare, sometimes temporary psychosis can set in from zoloft. He told me to throw away what I had, so I did. Next visit, he upped my dosage of klonopin from 4mg daily to 6mg daily. And he was pretty conservative with his scripts. He felt bad, tho, knowing I was already on edge and hearing voices was the last thing I needed. The only anti-depressant that ever worked for was effexor. Now that medicine is fun. Feels like a mini-stim, although the euphoria only last for the first two weeks or so. Then you're hooked. Kinda like methadone, which is a whole other story.

I'd have to agree with some of the posters that zyprexa would probably be good to end an OD or temporary psychosis one might experience after over-tweaking. Never did it myself. If I did, I wd lower my benzo dose.

Your doctor's prescribing methods sound...strange, to me. If a patient who needs stimulants experiences stim psychosis, the logical thing to do would be to stop whatever drug is responsible, wait for it to subside and stabilise (with symptomatic treatment if necessary), then restart them on a much lower dose, or switch them to a different stim at a much lower equivalent dose. It seems stupid to keep someone on the same dose with yet another drug added to counter the side-effects of the stim; it just feels like a band-aid solution that doesn't address the source of the problem.

I am on zyprexa and adderall as well. However, my mental health provider prescribes the zyprexa & my primary prescribes the adderall & neither knows about the other. I have reasons for that. However I'm not totally brain dead and checked for drug interactions online and I fill both at the same pharmacy and got no red flags. I've been on the combo for 7 months and notice too that the effects of my adderall are nowhere near what they were the 10 years I was on it without the zyprexa. After careful consideration and the fact that I'm not happy with the 65 lbs I've gained, the numbed out emotions I can't feel, & the fact that I am at max dose w/2 30mg xrs a day & finding myself taking extra sometimes, I decided to stop the zyprexa. Last week my family tried to have me committed after seeing a huge increase in my anxiety (didn't work though, they evaluated me and sent me home) but they tried to tell me that being on both was highly dangerous and could make my heart stop. I can't find anywhere that it says anything close to that. All I see is that it can increase the affects of an amphetamine and after 7 months, it's clearly doing the opposite. I feel like they lied to me and just tried to scare me out of taking the adderall bc my discharge instructions were to go back on the zyprexa and stop the adderall until I met w/my psychiatrist at my next appt. I started my adderall up again today and stopped my zyprexa last night. But I think I am going to continue to take the zyprexa bc I too suffer from insomnia in general and of course even more so with the adderall. I have slept the best the last 2 yrs being on the zyprexa that I have in my whole life. I see my shrink Tuesday and will ask for something different for anxiety to come off it. I'm a little ticked that they lied to me and forced me pretty much to go back to the zyprexa bc I was sick as heck for over a week from the withdrawals. Hopefully bc I've only been back on it a week I won't have to suffer that but who knows. Now seeing this...that the same provider prescribed both really upsets me bc obvious it tells me the whole heart stopping thing was crap!