Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Zolpidem - New Experience - Fiance's Trip

Mr-Tambourine-Man

Bluelighter
Observations on the Recreational Effects of Zolpidem Tartrate (Ambien)

Date: May 1, 2010

Subject: 20 Year Old Female, 130 Pounds

Substance: Zolpidem Tartrate (Ambien) is a prescription medication used for the short-term treatment of insomnia. Zolpidem is arguably the most popular member of the non-benzodiazepine hypnotics, frequently referred to as Z-Drugs. Zolpidem’s psychoactive effects are achieved through potentiating gamma-aminobutyric acid by binding to receptors identical to those in which benzodiazepines attach in order to create their sedative, hypnotic and anxiety-reducing effects. It is Zolpidem’s powerful hypnotic abilities that provide it with medicinal value as a sleep-aid.

In recent years recreational drug users have discovered that Zolpidem has abuse potential, as it creates relaxing and euphoric effects similar to those caused by the benzodiazepines. It has also been reported to induce a pleasurable, dreamlike and delirious state often accompanied by mild to intense visual hallucinations, even at therapeutic doses. These hallucinatory and delirious effects are distinct from those of the benzodiazepines. As with benzodiazepines, these effects are very often accompanied by amnesia for events which occurred during intoxication.

Dosage to be Administered: 15mgs

Subject’s Previous Psychoactive Experiences: Alcohol – Number of experiences and quantity consumed was never accurately measured; Alprazolam (Xanax) – Dosed twice, first at 1mg and later at 2mgs; Clonazepam (Klonopin) – Dosed twice, both times at .5mgs; Hydrocodone (Lortab, Vicodin) – Dosed perhaps a dozen times, most commonly at 10mgs, though varying overall between 5-15mgs; Marijuana – Number of experiences and quantity consumed was never accurately measured and while intake was commonly low, resulting effects were often strong due to lack of tolerance.
Experiment: The subject will ingest a 15mg dose of Zolpidem Tartrate after which she will be closely monitored and results will be catalogued at fifteen minute intervals throughout the duration of the drug’s effects.

The subject doses at:

11:25PM – The subject is apprehensive and feels she will just fall asleep. She casually checks over some recently completed homework while awaiting the drug’s onset. Her attitude is best expressed when she exclaims, “This is stupid…”
She then eats a grilled cheese sandwich with basil and reclines on the bed.

11:40 – The subject reports no unusual feelings and prepares for bed, washing her face, taking out her contacts and putting on her pajamas.

11:55 – She suddenly claims her eyes are “having trouble putting things together.” She sees two rings on her hand, though there is only one. She feels “tired and floaty.” She thinks she might feel a little drunk and that the bed has never felt so comfortable.
Closing her eyes she sees “the ground falling out beneath her and opening up with trees-trees huddled up in anger. The bark peels off the trees…”

11:10- The subject is now very tired and can only be roused with difficulty. “I feel like the blanket is made of straw, blue and brown straw.” Pointing to the ceiling she sees “a little mean man staring down at me.” She is giggling but also very lethargic. “It’s like a gentler form of “Alice in Wonderland” creating a big hole where the light comes in. Walls of rocks and sticks…” She runs her hands through her hair tenderly.
“I feel like a bunch of faceless heads are doing the exact same thing my face is. Some of them are white and some of them are tan… And I think I just got attacked by an ostrich.”

11:25- When asked how this feels different from the other drugs she has tried, she says, “Other drugs don’t make me see soupy things in my eyes. They’re like real things, not made up shapes and circles and things.”
The subject tries to read what I am recording but can only do so by closing one eye. Her eyes “aren’t cooperating.” The words on the page move in and out. She whispers to me about the words insistently, as if trying to impart some very serious secret.
The subject is overcome by a fit of giggles while describing her experience with the “angry ostrich.” Then she relaxes in “the flowers and grass,” while watching “the rats crawling the walls as the room is enveloped in thick fog.”
When questioned, the subject does not claim to feel sedated, but says, “She feels asleep already, as if she were already dreaming.”

11:40- Subject becomes sexually aroused, showing notable interest in intimacy. Then she notices I’m recording her arousal and abruptly loses interest in sex.
We turn out the light, though she protests that the “creepy, crawly things will come.”
She immediately falls deeply asleep and twitches throughout the night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ambien is indeed quite a strange drug.

I do find it quite recreational though, more so than traditional benzodiazepines. To me, it feels kinda like an in between point of benzos and dissociatives. It has a similar body feel to benzos, and mentally, it too imparts a feeling of apathetic calmness and a lessening of the thought process. But, somewhat paradoxically, it also gives me a sense of significance and intensity I associate with dissocitives, as well as giving me similar mild visual distortions (it most reminds me of DXM with eyes open).

I think the second hand account actually works quite well for detailing a zolpidem experience, watching someone under the influence of it really gives you a better understanding of the drug IMO. With first hand trip reports, it's likely that much of the thoughts and feelings would be forgotten by the time the user returns to reality and is able to write the report.

When observing, you can really see how affected one is in this state. Motor impairment is obvious, people tend to slur and stumble noticeably, as if quite drunk. Even their droopy eyed facial expression makes it clear they're heavily intoxicated. Then, most interestingly, are the bizarre statements they tend to make. Having taken it myself as well as having observed people on it, I theorize that these statements are not really indicative of what they are actually perceiving, rather the drug is affecting the brain so as garble the word selecting process.

Hope you found my long winded cometary worth reading!

thanks for sharing.

p.s.

What was your fiances account of the experience the following day?

Sounds exactly like a typical experience. Until you build up a tolerance anyway.

Observations on the Recreational Effects of Zolpidem Tartrate (Ambien)

Date: May 1, 2010
Subject: 20 Year Old Female, 130 Pounds
Substance: Zolpidem Tartrate (Ambien)
Dosage: 15mgs

Zolpidem Tartrate (Ambien) is a prescription medication used for the short-term treatment of insomnia. Zolpidem is arguably the most popular member of the non-benzodiazepine hypnotics, frequently referred to as Z-Drugs. Zolpidem’s psychoactive effects are achieved through potentiating gamma-aminobutyric acid by binding to receptors identical to those in which benzodiazepines attach in order to create their sedative, hypnotic and anxiety-reducing effects. It is Zolpidem’s powerful hypnotic abilities that provide it with medicinal value as a sleep-aid.

In recent years recreational drug users have discovered that Zolpidem has abuse potential, as it creates relaxing and euphoric effects similar to those caused by the benzodiazepines. It has also been reported to induce a pleasurable, dreamlike and delirious state often accompanied by mild to intense visual hallucinations, even at therapeutic doses. These hallucinatory and delirious effects are distinct from those of the benzodiazepines. As with benzodiazepines, these effects are very often accompanied by amnesia for events which occurred during intoxication.

Subject’s Previous Psychoactive Experiences: Alcohol – Number of experiences and quantity consumed was never accurately measured; Alprazolam (Xanax) – Dosed twice, first at 1mg and later at 2mgs; Clonazepam (Klonopin) – Dosed twice, both times at .5mgs; Hydrocodone (Lortab, Vicodin) – Dosed perhaps a dozen times, most commonly at 10mgs, though varying overall between 5-15mgs; Marijuana – Number of experiences and quantity consumed was never accurately measured and while intake was commonly low, resulting effects were often strong due to lack of tolerance.
Experiment: The subject will ingest a 15mg dose of Zolpidem Tartrate after which she will be closely monitored and results will be catalogued at fifteen minute intervals throughout the duration of the drug’s effects.

11:25PM – The subject is apprehensive and feels she will just fall asleep. She casually checks over some recently completed homework while awaiting the drug’s onset. Her attitude is best expressed when she exclaims, “This is stupid…”
She then eats a grilled cheese sandwich with basil and reclines on the bed.

11:40 – The subject reports no unusual feelings and prepares for bed, washing her face, taking out her contacts and putting on her pajamas.

11:55 – She suddenly claims her eyes are “having trouble putting things together.” She sees two rings on her hand, though there is only one. She feels “tired and floaty.” She thinks she might feel a little drunk and that the bed has never felt so comfortable.

Closing her eyes she sees “the ground falling out beneath her and opening up with trees-trees huddled up in anger. The bark peels off the trees…”

11:10 - The subject is now very tired and can only be roused with difficulty. “I feel like the blanket is made of straw, blue and brown straw.” Pointing to the ceiling she sees “a little mean man staring down at me.” She is giggling but also very lethargic. “It’s like a gentler form of “Alice in Wonderland” creating a big hole where the light comes in. Walls of rocks and sticks…” She runs her hands through her hair tenderly.

“I feel like a bunch of faceless heads are doing the exact same thing my face is. Some of them are white and some of them are tan… And I think I just got attacked by an ostrich.”

11:25 - When asked how this feels different from the other drugs she has tried, she says, “Other drugs don’t make me see soupy things in my eyes. They’re like real things, not made up shapes and circles and things.”

The subject tries to read what I am recording but can only do so by closing one eye. Her eyes “aren’t cooperating.” The words on the page move in and out. She whispers to me about the words insistently, as if trying to impart some very serious secret.

The subject is overcome by a fit of giggles while describing her experience with the “angry ostrich.” Then she relaxes in “the flowers and grass,” while watching “the rats crawling the walls as the room is enveloped in thick fog.”

When questioned, the subject does not claim to feel sedated, but says, “She feels asleep already, as if she were already dreaming.”

11:40 - Subject becomes sexually aroused, showing notable interest in intimacy. Then she notices I’m recording her arousal and abruptly loses interest in sex.

We turn out the light, though she protests that the “creepy, crawly things will come.”

She immediately falls deeply asleep and twitches throughout the night.

Very detailed report. Always make sure to format it in a way that makes it easier for the average blr to read.

Nice report. You did have the subject's permission to write this, correct?