Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Zolpidem+Amphetamine+Tramadol+MAOIs - New Experience - Serotonin Syndrome

Gormur

Bluelighter
i had a deadly dance with serotonin syndrome yesterday..

monday night, i was railing ambien and drinking water.. the next morning, i woke up and realized i drank some stash water that had 20mg adderall and 50mg tramadol in it. i also woke up to a coffee pot full of kava and yerba mate (mixed), which for some reason, drank without even thinking about wtf i was doing...

most of the day went along fine. i noticed i had more stamina than usual and was a bit restless, but didn't notice anything bad till about 7pm last night - mind you, i had drank the kava+yerba mate around 11am!! --

i sat down for a minute, then all the sudden i felt like i was falling. that's the only way i can describe the utter panic and horror i felt. my face went cold and my hands were dripping wet with sweat.. then i suddenly realized i was in danger and what was going on.. no wonder i had been pissing colorless urine all day.. and i was peeing 4x as much liquid as i was drinking

as i'm in this frenzy-like state, i call my mom and ask her what i should do (she's a medical prof).. i thought, maybe i can treat the hypertension at home and avoid emergency services..

i figured i would pass out at any moment and probably die, so i accepted it in my mind, just in case... the whole time (about 10min) i had a migrain, jaw tension, i couldn't feel my heart beating (it felt incredibly inflated or enlarged from pressure, like it had stopped beating). i was dizzy, disoriented. my vision went in and out of focus.. i felt like i was going to pass out. i prayed to god to at least redeem my soul if i had to go out like this

in my haze of frenzied confusion, i remembered my clonidine script had 1 refill left.. i promtly called it into the closest pharmacy, somehow drove there in pouring rain & fog (i don't remember driving), picked it up, and promtly chomped down 1 pill when i got back in my car

a sudden sense of relief poured over me. altho my chest was still tight and in pain.. i didn't feel like things were out of control or that i was going to pass out

i'm thankful that i survived that ordeal but i'm fucked now, since i have to abstain from my meds (adderall) & probably all other stimulants, MAOIs, and tramadol.. which i had been taking daily for the past 2 weeks (for sleep)

all things considered, i'm probably lucky to be alive right now, but at the same time i don't know what i should do.. like, if i'm going to start withdrawing from the tramadol, if i should continue the ambien (also my script) for sleep.. any signs to look for in withdrawal.. etc

i suppose the clonidine may aid in any possible tramadol withdrawal. as i was taking 50mg-150mg most days, i suppose the withdrawal will be minimal.. but this is all a guess combined with a bit of wishful thinking

i've had symptoms of serotonin syndrome a few times, but nothing like like this... i mean, that was absolute hell..

i guess the bottom line in all this is: don't fuck with drug combos unless you know exactly what you're taking and what's going to happen to you as a result of such.. cause as you can see, this shit gets out of hand fast, and if you pass out from a hypertensive crisis, there's a good chance you won't wake up

.. possibly even worse than dying last night, i now have to worry about what's going on inside my body and wonder if i've sustained serious organ damage from mixing all these drugs - which could obviously prove fatal at any time, as well.. say if my kidneys or liver decide to shut down

be careful guys, and i wish everyone the best

-G

substancecode_zolpidem
substancecode_ambien
substancecode_amphetamine
substancecode_amphetamines
substancecode_adderall
substancecode_maois
substancecode_kava
substancecode_yerbamate
substancecode_mate
_combo_

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you normally mix kava and mate?! or was that due to some blacked-out ambied-induced silliness?

What were the maoi's you mention in the title? I know mate can be one, but i thought it was mild.

Did you eat at all that day? Having a crisis 8 hours after ingestion seems wierd... was it perhaps a hypoglycemic attack/panic attack?

How do you rationalize that this was serotonin syndrome? Maybe i just don't know enough about tramadol or something.

Do you normally mix kava and mate?! or was that due to some blacked-out ambied-induced silliness?

What were the maoi's you mention in the title? I know mate can be one, but i thought it was mild.

Did you eat at all that day? Having a crisis 8 hours after ingestion seems wierd... was it perhaps a hypoglycemic attack/panic attack?

How do you rationalize that this was serotonin syndrome? Maybe i just don't know enough about tramadol or something.

i save kava and yerba mate for special times, like when i'm taking a break from my meds for a few weeks and need to have some energy to function a bit

obviously i was well fucked by the time i decided to brew the kava and yerba mate... both are natural MAOIs, as well as dark chocolate - (which i also assumed could help, thinking that might help with its vasodilating effects)..

all the MAOI-containing plants like these are anything but mild. even taken alone, they're fairly powerful considering the effective doses.. taking MAOIs with amphetamines and tramadol already built up in your system is like a ticking time bomb.. my adrenaline shot up, i could taste it in my throat..

i've been through the symptoms of serotonine syndrome a few times before with some equally mindless combos, but nothing really dramatic happened.. the last time was quite bad, tho, because i had some natural sleeping pills that fucked me over for a good 6 days..

i was weaning off trazodone so i was already fucked, taking vyvanse in small doses, and unable to sleep without any sort of aid... out of answers, i take the natural sleeping pills. they worked great. but i felt strange when i woke up.. my muscles were all tense, i had gone into a hypomanic state, and my pupils stayed dilated all day.. 5htp, tyrosine.. those are my guesses as to what i was taking (i've had them many times before so i know what they taste like)

sorry if that isn't very informative. it's hard to detect serotonin syndrome unless you get it or know someone who has/had it and how they got it..

i feel at peace today, despite all this, but i'm also on my sleeping meds to keep the hypertension down... i'm eating small snacks instead of meals, small drinks of smartwater etc so i don't become too dehydrated.. it seems it's a good sign once the diarrhea has stopped

that's all i can say for now without getting too off-topic into useless information.
i wish there was more info on serotonin syndrome around. i think what makes it most damgerous is the fact symptoms are predictable but treatment is limited in life-death situations, making you wonder what the aftermath of all this will be.. a little unsettling, eh

peace,

G

i'm pretty sure it was serotonin syndrome. what else would it be? i've been taking tramadol daily for several weeks now, and i was taking my adderall script with it most days as well.. those two combined, alone, can cause seizures and serotonin syndrome

i still feel seriously messed up as well.. like my brain is totally fried and i have no energy at all. i sleep all day but i feel extremely restless too. i haven't been able to work or leave the house. my chest feels very sensitive and when i lift my arms over my head, they sometimes go completely numb.. it's kinda scary

i took a small dose of adderall last night so i wouldn't fall asleep driving to the store.. i had to get some food.. then it felt like the whole incident was starting over, altho much milder.. but it felt like my brain was swelling, it was like a really intense migraine, and it was pulsating.. i don't know if that was a mild seizure, but i wouldn't doubt it. something was very wrong. my senses became really sharp and i couldn't move for a couple minutes

everything i've read says you need to have at least 2 weeks off amphetamines to take MAOIs and vice versa.. so i guess no meds for a while, which means i'm seriously screwed cause i'm a complete mess without them

live and learn

following your posts these last few weeks, man, i knew you were heading towards a disaster.

i'm really glad you survived it with your life and psyche intact.

clonodine causes rebound hypertension on the comedown. tramadol/amphetamine cause hypertension on the high, sometimes rebound hopotension on the comedown. i dunno. alpha blocks combined with stimulants have done wonky things to my blood pressure.

wat i'm saying.. you have to live, to learn, man.

^ rebound hypertension, there we go. My fiancee is a nurse and explained that to me, i just forgot what the term was.

Basically, it was a hypertensive crisis due to a variety of factors. Not necessarily specifically "serotonin syndrome"

Thanks for sharing your frightening experience... glad you made it out okay. Obviously you know now, but for the benefit of others, please be careful when combining drugs. And in particular, tramadol is known to be very dangerous when combined with stimulants, and as it is partially serotonergic, it shouldn't be combined with other serotonergics either (like amphetamine). And REALLY not with MAOIs (nor should amphetamine at any time be combined with MAOIs).

following your posts these last few weeks, man, i knew you were heading towards a disaster.

i'm really glad you survived it with your life and psyche intact.

clonodine causes rebound hypertension on the comedown. tramadol/amphetamine cause hypertension on the high, sometimes rebound hopotension on the comedown. i dunno. alpha blocks combined with stimulants have done wonky things to my blood pressure.

wat i'm saying.. you have to live, to learn, man.

thanks man

i did explain that i picked up my clonidine script the other day, tho, specifically for the hypertensive crisis i was having.. since i knew that would help and i didn't have anything at home to take.. maybe my post wasn't very clear tho

clonidine does give me some nasty rebound hypertension as well. i've been off of it for a few months, tho, until the other day when i had the emergency.
now i'm just gonna take it when i have problems, cause i definitely don't want to be addicted to it again

as for the serotonin syndrome, yea who knows.. all i can say is i still feel really strange since tuesday, not myself, definitely manic. i'm in a brain fog and i can't take any drugs.. it's like i don't feel any emotion at all, or feel the need to do anything. i'm just kinda staring into space, existing. i have no appetite, but i don't feel tired or hyper either.. but a little confused & disoriented

- i've had these exact symtoms before after i'd taken tyrosine and melatonin with amphetamine still in my system.. it also lasted for about a week.. like a blunt affect (i don't feel any emotion at all), i have no libido, plus uncomfortable chest tenderness / pain and insomnia.. my vision is still kind of fuzzy now and then too

anyway, whatever it is it can't be good, and there's probably nothing i or a doctor can do at this point.. i may just have to wait it out & see how it goes

thanks for the support everyone, and if anything i hope this thread encourages people not to mess around with these kind of combos

peace