• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

You can be free

mikeeb125

Greenlighter
I celebrate 3 years free from all drugs including cigarettes next month. I was an Iv crack and heroin user for 10 years, 60 MLS of methadone and a big cannabis addiction. There were times I didn't think I'd ever do it but one thing I did was never give up on myself and resign myself to the fact I would always be an addict. I'm no longer an addict but a former drug user. I did an 18 months faith based rehab and I'm now married and enjoying life, I hardly ever think about drugs ( I can go weeks without thinking of them).Hope this story inspires even one person who is struggling with addiction, any questions pm me

Nice work mikeeb125! It is rare that people find such success with faith based rehabs. What kind of place was it? I'd be very interested to learn more about what it was like if you're comfortable sharing considering the low success rate traditional faith based approaches have with treatment recidivism. I'm glad you found something that works for you!

Hi I think the faith based treatment centres in the USA are quite hardcore and a lot of people are forced to go by courts etc.its the opposite in the U.K. They like you to make the decision to enter the program not the justice system. For me I'd tried every other type of treatment and nearly all of them focused on looking back and focusing on the bad things that happened in my life. But in the rehab I went to we were encouraged to only look forward and to not label outselves as addicts forever, this was really liberating for me.

Nice! The voluntary nature of your treatment seems like is what made a big difference. Plus I have a feeling the quality of addiction treatment in the UK is a bit more professional and standardized than it is in US, based on what I know about your healthcare system.