• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

xbox, playstation hate with a passion thread.

You pointed out the major reason why gaming has taken off on consoles. Developers don't make multiplayer games for PC that can be played locally.

If you ask me, its out of greed, because there is no fundamental reason why a PC can't have multiple controllers. We aren't in the days of limited IRQ availability and USB ports are plentiful with even cheap laptops coming with 4 of them so it would be extremely easy to develop in code for games to run on a single screen.

BOTH of my laptops are hooked up to my 42" TV through HDMI so I already get the console experience without the hassle and expense.

With that said, I will likely be buying a PS4, and and a 3D TV. Why? Because the game developers and console manufacturers won the war a long time ago. PC exclusives still exist, however, and the directly ported PC to console games tend to suck on the console compared to their PC origins.

The cell phone is replacing handheld consoles so those are on the way out. I may still buy a 3DS because there are a few games I want to play on there but I don't know.

I'm actually re-evaluating whether or not I'm going to bother investing in a new laptop. I was going to buy a tricked out Alienware 18 since my 5 year old Alienware M17x is still able to game, I figured a 5 year update cycle would be okay @ a cost of 3-5K a pop but I don't know if I can actually justify the expense when I hardly game anymore. I'm on my Android tablet playing Pocket Knights, my laptop is open on Chrome with at least 5 tabs and my Inspiron is outputting Netflix from the Windows 8.1 app to the TV over HDMI and nothing breaks a sweat... that's pretty much my daily routine and I don't see much chance of me changing it.

My girl got me a PS4 for Christmas. I love it. Sometimes if I'm too tired to play I'll just lay there and watch other people play, which is a cool online feature. It's better than TV.

Wow, jeez I didn't think this topic would run this long.
I actually bought Call of Duty Ghosts a few weeks back.
Maaaaan.... this sucks.
It's dull, I get bored of it so easily, it's just the same as it's predecessors, and most other first person shooters I've tried.
Now Call of Duty Zombies on my ancient Ipod touch was addictive as hell, as were many racing games for instance need for speed.
I really put it down to having a gyroscope (tilt screen) as a controller.
Recently I purchased a Google Nexus 7 2013 2nd generation tablet.
The screen on this little beauty is pristine, I've never seen text so readable (better than printed font they say)
Games are hit and miss, for instance COD Zombies is awkward because the 7 inch screen is too big to press several on-screen buttons.
But I plugged it into an HDMI projector and 60% of the quality was still there, and the tilt still worked.
For browsing the interweb, reading books, light gaming etc; this things a champ.
PC's are good for the reasons stated above plus the sheer number of alternative controllers. One thousand words I have to side with though on PC's being a one stop solution for most if not all things (Internet, Gaming, Word processing, Radio, TV, Movies, Programming etc)
Just kicking back with friends, blazed the Xbox and Playstation just work with a simple button press, but the controller leaves me wanting and so many games have a sameness about them, not to mention the 50 quid price tag at launch.
Best fun I ever had was on my Spectrum 48k. But then being a kid everything is fun isn't it?
The old Ipod touch jailbroken was addictive and non-restrictive, toilet trips need not spoil game play in any way.
To recreate this on the Nexus 7 would keep me happy for a while at least.
Peace