• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos xanax withdrawal

dudunabo2002

Greenlighter
I used to always pop a xanax bar every other week to chill and feel great. In this summer vacation, I ended up taking 1 bar tuesday, 1 bar wednesday and 3 bars thursday, because I was stupid enough to not give two fucks. 2 days later, my fingers are numb since I quit this habit and my extremities are kinda numb and my feet are sweating. Are those common symptoms of withdrawal? How long does it last? Im also more anxious than usual please help Im worried ill have a panic attack by the next 2-3 days

my fingers are also tingling too much

edit: my back hurts, how long is this going to take?????

Last edited:
It sounds like you're experiencing rebound anxiety and withdrawal symptoms.

It's been approximately a month since I took alprazolam and I'm still going through withdrawals, Ended up in hospital and lectured the doctors and nurses on what benzodiazepine I needed to substitute it for (diazepam because of the extremely long half life).

If you really feel like you're unwell seek medical advice immediately but it sounds like you're past the seizure period though as I was saying I would be seeing a doctor, Be honest and maybe ask for a non repeat script of diazepam to soften the withdrawal symptoms for a week or two.

Be honest with how much alprazolam you were consuming because 1 2mg bar is equivalent to 6-8 valium.

My last piece of advice is respect alprazolam and stop self medicating. If you think those withdrawal symptoms are bad wait until you're properly dependant on them. You'll think to yourself "What have I gotten myself into".

Scatterday I agree with you 100% just like anything taken above recommended dosage even for a short binge can have pretty adverse effect after it’s abruptly stopped. People tend to think it takes months of use to develop withdrawals but everyone is different and with Benzos especially often the anxiety and depression will seem worse after you come down from a binge. There are tons of horror stories out there about benzo withdrawals. I would agree just see your doc and be honest with them you would be surprised how much more compassionate they can be when they feel like you’re being up front about your use. Best of luck to you man be safe and hopefully you find some relief.

For Xanax withdrawal the best no-benzo treatment is pregabalin in a dose of 75-300mg every 12 hour, so in the morning and in the night. Xanax is alprazolam which is the benzo with the worst withdrawal. I suffered a Xanax withdrawal which caused me a faint with seizures. Be cautious

I don't understand how op could be dependent after only three days in a row...I have used benzos daily for a month and not gotten withdrawal

^^ I agree. I can't imagine even being worried enough to post this ...problem. I took more for longer periods and felt nothing but normal.

I would think it isn't true WD but just rebound symptoms from all that brain inhibition that Xanax causes. I take 3mg Xanax daily and it took a few months for physical dependence to really set in.

"What have I gotten myself into".

My exact thoughts regarding this and I have been through heroin and oxycodone withdrawals, relapses countless times over years. I have screwed myself so bad it is almost comical if it weren't for the seizure risk.

This sounds like rebound anxiety that will subside unless you use them again.

I've had more than I can count seizures from Xanax. I got off clean and got hit by rebound anxiety boarding a plane three years later, because I had a doctor giving a 15 year old kid 8mg's of day of Xanax with 5 refills. He saw me twice a year and let me destroy my GABA receptors and life instead of trying to get me real help. He also gave me 1mg Clonazepam for anxiety while sleeping, 50mg Serequel for sleep, 10mg Zolpidem for sleep.

I sure was popular in high school. :\

The anxiety is not the part you have to worry about. The seizure that hits you out of no where is what you have to worry about.

I had doctors give me shot after shot of Lorazepam and telling my sister I had to have been using meth even though my drug test was clear because I kept seizing after each shot.

I've had more than I can count seizures from Xanax. I got off clean and got hit by rebound anxiety boarding a plane three years later, because I had a doctor giving a 15 year old kid 8mg's of day of Xanax with 5 refills. He saw me twice a year and let me destroy my GABA receptors and life instead of trying to get me real help. He also gave me 1mg Clonazepam for anxiety while sleeping, 50mg Serequel for sleep, 10mg Zolpidem for sleep.

I sure was popular in high school. :\

The anxiety is not the part you have to worry about. The seizure that hits you out of no where is what you have to worry about.

I had doctors give me shot after shot of Lorazepam and telling my sister I had to have been using meth even though my drug test was clear because I kept seizing after each shot.

You haven't destroyed your GABA receptors don't worry,

Give them a rest for a while and I'm sure you'll find they'll repair themselves over time if you have a positive outlook.

Your brain can recreate new neural pathways over time if you have done any damage you think is unrepairable.

I have a brother in-law who would crush 5mg of Xanax & sniff without any issues. One day he was incarcerated. 48-hours later he was in the ICU. Just as an alcoholic might be. Titrate slow. 1/2 mg every week. Once you're safe, try 2-days on, 1 off. This has helped me to avoid withdrawal symptoms. Plus I'm not a snorter. I do the same 2 on/1 off with Adderall. Took time, but finally stuck.

To add to the answer re: GABA never working again, of course it will. But it may take up to a year to fully function. Try Gabapentin to help symptoms while GABA rebuilds. Bottom line, you can't push your body, your receptors so much. Very dangerous. But it isn't my place to lecture. This is only my experienced opinion.

QC

I developed a dependency on Xanax myself, originally prescribed by my Doctor for severe anxiety. With benzodiazepines the body becomes dependent on them very quickly, it only takes about a month of continuous use before you are dependent. Like yourself I had been using Xanax continually for around three years and I made the huge mistake of quitting cold turkey which led to me having multiple seizures and hospital visits (in my defence I was very young and naive) in my opinion Xanax is by far the worst benzo out there as it has such a short half life and is by far one of the strongest. I had to taper of slowly over the course of a few months. I’m not going to sugar coat it, it was hell on earth! When tapering of benzodiazepines you need to use one with a long half life, diazepam/Valium or even Klonopin/Clonazepam is best for this. I would also strongly advice getting some cannabis just to take the edge of, also cannabis is great for preventing seizures. Benzodiazepines are probably one of the hardest drugs to withdraw from but it’s so worth it! I hope I have helped in some way and please feel free to message me for any advice I have a lot of experience in helping people withdraw from benzodiazepines. P.s. this is not something you can do on your own it’s best to find an outpatient rehab or even a family member to hold on to your medications.