• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

(xanax) withdrawal

yvonne1

Greenlighter
Hello. My name is Yvonne. I was a member on this site over four years ago while weaning myself off of Fentanyl patches and hydrocodone. I am now over four years off of those, but now taking myself off of xanax. I started tapering from 1 mg twice a day. was only on this dose two months. Prior to this it was .5 mgs three times a day. My dr put me back to .5 three times a day for a month, then .25 mg three times a day for a month. Then 0.125 mgs once a day. Then just crumbs a day. When he lowered me to .25 mgs he put me on a beta blocker due to high blood pressure, chest tightness. I am now on day 10 with no xanax and no withdrawal as long as i take my beta blocker on schedule. If Im late taking my beta blocker, withdrawals hit fast and full force. Im confused about the actual role of these beta blockers. I would not be successful without them, but Im confused as to what theyre actually doing? I have been on the xanax 6-7 years, but mostly low doses. I would think that this taper on such low doses, 10 days out I would be good? Hoping someone can help me understand whats happening in my body with the beta blockers and withdrawal from xanax? Many thanks.

From a quick read it looks like they reduce tremors from benzo withdrawals, maybe this means they help with the seizures too but i can’t confirm that. Sounds like your doctor is being pretty reasonable about your taper, good luck to you.

Beta blockers work like anti-adrenalin. They help keep your heart from racing, and keep your blood pressure down; some people take them before they have to give a speech or a performance. They wouldn't prevent benzo withdrawal so much as reduce the physical symptoms--you won't feel as shaky. They aren't (all, mostly) psychoactive, so don't worry about becoming dependent on them. They don't work like a benzo substitute in your brain.

It'll take awhile, but eventually the feeling will go away if you miss a dose.

Usually when you quit booze or benzos, there's a risk of seizures in the beginning, then dangerous high blood pressure. So your doc will probably keep you on them for a long time, not so much for withdrawal as just to keep your BP from shooting up.

Anyway, congrats on getting away from benzos--those can be some of the toughest to quit.

xanax withdrawal

Thanks to everyone for responding to my question. I am concerned about seizures. I know my taper was fast. Without the beta blockers, my body jerks violently like Im being hit full speed by a great white shark. Very hard and violent. I also shake inside constantly. Oddly, the beta blockers stop that. Just be glad when its over. Today us day 11 post taper. All good as long as i take the beta blockers. Weird.

Your doc prescribed the beta blockers in part because they do help stop tremors, so they're doing their job for you.

One thing to remember is that tremors or shaky feelings are not a sign that you're going to have a seizure. From experience, seizures come without warning. If anything, having a tremor probably means your safe.

I don't know if it will help your anxiety or not to know that there's absolutely no warning before these kinds of seizures--they can happen mid-sentence. Hopefully it'll help keep you from worrying over strange sensations.

Seizures also don't hurt at all. You're just talking to someone one moment, and the next you're gently coming in and out of a strange dream where people are staring at you and you insist they're wrong, you couldn't have had a seizure, because you're still underwater and queen of the mer-people. You'll eventually come around just in time for a CT scan and shot of more benzos, then it's a really great night's sleep. I seriously felt great after mine.

Seizures are bad because you can hurt yourself pretty bad (or die) when you fall, and they scare the ever-loving shit out of anyone who sees them. But they aren't bad to actually go through--you don't feel a thing*.

*There are other kinds of seizures where you do experience things, but with booze and benzo w/d, it's totally lights out.