• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Xanax for siezures

falsifiedhypothesi

Bluelight Crew
I like to take tramadol from time to time and normally when I do I exceed the 400mg per day limit. I've never had a siezure nor felt close to having one even when the tram is making me vomit from a little too much. I know this isn't exactly safe and there's reports of people getting grand mal siezures even after years of taking tram and no previous siezures.

The only drug I have to possibly counteract the siezures is Xanax and I've heard it's not a very good antiepileptic. I'm wondering if .5-1mg would be sufficient to mitigate a possible siezure? How well does Xanax prevent siezures anyway? I'm very familiar with both these drugs and know about the CNS complications so please skip the speeches on that danger, thank you.

Hey there, hopefully someone will have a more qualified, firm answer for you, but I will give you my experience.

I can't say with 100% certainly as I am not a medical professional but I do believe Xanax would help to prevent seizures. Being a benzodiazepine, they work in the brain by increasing the effects of gamma-aminobutyric acid aka GABA, which is a chemical that is naturally calming. GABA is responsible for stopping and slowing down certain nerve signals in the brain. Klonopin is also a benzodiazepine and is prescribed for seizures and since benzos all work on similar receptors in the brain, it would only make sense it would help. It is probably just not as effective as other benzos that are prescribed specifically for seizure prevention. But in a pinch, if a seizure happened, and xanax is all you have, it's probably your best bet.

Several years ago, I was also taking similar doses of tramadol as yourself. I too would have vomiting episodes at high doses. For some time I took it alone, however when I started taking higher doses, I would usually take xanax along with it. Not always though. During that year and a half, I never experienced a seizure even on certain days with my doses reaching 600mg, sometimes just tramadol and sometimes with xanax. I can't say that it's a good idea or safe to be taking tramadol at these doses or that Xanax together with it is safe or will help a seizure, but I can tell you that for me, I was fine.

Hope this helps and that maybe someone else will give you a more precise, positive answer. Take care and stay safe out there!

-E

Thanks for your experience dude. I don't plan to do it often, I usually use tramadol 4-5 days in a row then stop for a couple weeks. I don't want to get a tolerance or dependence on Xanax and I only use about 2-3mg total over like 1-2 months.

Tramadol gets me nauseated even at low doses, then again my liver's compromised so that's one drug I stay away from. Can you get Valium? I think that would work much better.

no unfortunately I can only get alprazolam. I actually hate Xanax except for its ability to kill a panic attacks and help with stim comedowns, I don't find Xanax recreational at all.

Isn't tramadol a bit (possibly very) iffy to be taking with a benzo? I don't really know because I have little opioid experience/knowledge.

That said, a sufficient dose of xanax will prevent a seizure... but coming off it can cause one (with repeated use). This could actually eventually increase the risk. It also has a short half life, which isn't ideal.

A fair few bluelighters have died from combining benzos and opioids/opiates. Sounds like a bad idea to me. Take care.

Last edited:
All benzos all are anticonvulsants, including alprazolam. Unfortunately though it's a pure anxiolytic with a short effect and half life. It's one of the weaker benzos when it comes to preventing seizures, as e.g. diazepam and especially clonazepam woud be recommended.

^^This

Alprazolam is designed for panic attacks, with a quick onset and short duration of action. The idea being to stop the panic attack quickly and they are often used PRN.

Yes, they possess anti convulsant properties as any benzodiazepine or barbiturate. But they are a poor choice because they wear off quickly. Essentially they only protect you for a limited duration. 2-3 hours maybe?

A longer acting benzodiazepine will work much better. In the US chlordiazepoxide and lorazepam are often used for acute alcohol withdrawl.

Diazepam, Clonazepam, Chlordiazepoxide, Lorazepam and many others will serve this specific purpose better.

I am not a doctor but if it were me and I only had access to xanax for this purpose, I would take it three times daily while using tramadol. Maybe .5-1mg morning, noon, and night to keep the blood levels elevated.

just my 2 cents