• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xanax Cessation, anxiety, and potential dependance

Akistrodon

Greenlighter
Hi, this is my first post on this forum and hope to get some advice from you all.

I have been taking Xanax for around a year, maxing out no more than .25mg a day and never taking for consecutive days.

90% of the time I am taking .125mg every 3-7 days depending on the severity of the anxiety.

What I have noticed since backing off the Xanax is that my anxiety has actually seemed to improve. My current hypothesis is that I was experiencing micro withdrawls in between doses which could have increased the levels of anxiety. Although, I am not sure if it is possible to become physically dependant on .125 not taken close to everyday.

Which leads me to my next question, is a physical depedance possible from taking .125mg every 3-7 days even possible? Have any of you actually experienced withdrawl symptoms from taking such low doses so far in between each other?

I can easily go 7 days without any Xanax whatsoever, but then I start to get worried the delayed withdrawl is going to hit out of nowhere (I read about it happening to someone) and that ill end up seizing.

Thanks!

Chill. your dosing is fine. Just don't up the dose or take it more than two days a week. Stay at 0.25 and you should have little problems. You may have felt rebound anxiety as short acting benzos will do that.

If you really need a benzo, I'd suggest Valium 2-mg prn (as needed - bad days, job interview, etc). The Valium will likely not give you the rebound anxiety. But Val will not "hit as hard." Which from an addiction / desire to up your dose it the dangerous part you can then avoid.

No other downers. No dose increase. No frequency increase. You'll likely be ok.

If you feel better during a week or two that you take none, then just stop while you're in the relative clear of w/ds.

Best.