• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xanax advice

KeyToRoom315

Greenlighter
Hi, first time posting here. I have been prescribed 0.5mg Xanax by my doctor. I have thirty of the tablets. Her advice for me was unclear as I was in a state of extreme stress when she was giving me the information. I have used it once before, 0.5mg three times a day. Did that for two weeks and stopped, and it was fine. The situation now is that I am in extreme life crisis with the death of my best friend and also ending up homeless and living on somebody's sofa. 0.5mg three times a day is barely taking the edge off of my negative feelings of extreme stress and anxiety. How much could I safely take, per day, to get through the week until I have a chance to return to the doctor. I neither want to overdose, nor do I want to get addicted. Just need to survive the next 5 days or so

EDIT: Don't know if this is important information, but I don't use any other drugs, and I don't drink alcohol. My vices are cigarettes and coffee, neither of which I do to excess. Im 5'9" and around 180LB

Hi, first time posting here. I have been prescribed 0.5mg Xanax by my doctor. I have thirty of the tablets. Her advice for me was unclear as I was in a state of extreme stress when she was giving me the information. I have used it once before, 0.5mg three times a day. Did that for two weeks and stopped, and it was fine. The situation now is that I am in extreme life crisis with the death of my best friend and also ending up homeless and living on somebody's sofa. 0.5mg three times a day is barely taking the edge off of my negative feelings of extreme stress and anxiety. How much could I safely take, per day, to get through the week until I have a chance to return to the doctor. I neither want to overdose, nor do I want to get addicted. Just need to survive the next 5 days or so

EDIT: Don't know if this is important information, but I don't use any other drugs, and I don't drink alcohol. My vices are cigarettes and coffee, neither of which I do to excess. Im 5'9" and around 180LB
No one can really advise you on that. The fact that your doctor was unclear is a problem and you should seek more professional medical advice as well as advice regarding your situation from any services that can help you (I've been there so I know how hard it can be). You won't overdose and those are fairly low doses but it was irresponsible for your doc to just give you them and send you on your way without advice - this is how people can end il addicted.

I'm guessing that you're not in the UK as doctors don't tend to give out xanax or benzos at all apart from in some specific cases so this won't apply but we have a number second to 999 (like 911) which is for non-emergencies and if you explain your situation as you have here, they will make you a appointment to see a different doctor likely at a hospital, but I doubt that this would exist in the US.

If you are able to speak to a different doctor/healthcare professional then please try to do so. Also try to speak to people that can help with your situation.

This is the best advise I can offer. In terms of dosage, if you are in total panic mode then maybe take 1mg and try to calm down with some breathing exercises. But if they aren't working, you need some extra help and advise. 0.5mg of xanax for someone with no tolerance should be enough to provide some temporary relief from anxiety but it also has a short half life so it is very easy to start eating too many. I'd probably end up eating through the whole lot in a matter of days in the circumstances you're in but please don't do that.

Good luck and I hope that you'll be OK. You can get through these issues.

Thank you. I'm not in the UK, no. I'm sure she said that I should take 'as needed' up to 4mg a day, and if I just take the pack over the week or two, I'll be fine. She did give advice, but I was in a pretty bad state while talking to her, so the meeting was a blur, and I'm living in the middle of nowhere (talking a couple of hours drive from a doctor), so contact with a doctor is very difficult for me. I am also having daily therapy online. Two psychiatrist meetings online (can't afford more) and both were dead against me taking any xanax at all

Thank you. I'm not in the UK, no. I'm sure she said that I should take 'as needed' up to 4mg a day, and if I just take the pack over the week or two, I'll be fine. She did give advice, but I was in a pretty bad state while talking to her, so the meeting was a blur, and I'm living in the middle of nowhere (talking a couple of hours drive from a doctor), so contact with a doctor is very difficult for me. I am also having daily therapy online. Two psychiatrist meetings online (can't afford more) and both were dead against me taking any xanax at all
Well they might have a point regarding the xanax but the doctor's instructions aren't terrible either. When I read it, it seemed like she just gave you the pills and sent you on your way but the dosage and length of time sounds reasonable enough. Just try not to take them unless you really feel like you can't hold it together.

Keep talking to your shrinks and hopefully they can offer you practical advise regarding the day-to-day. Remember that there are emergency services, at least I hope so, if things become too much to handle.

As I said, the shrinks do have a point about the xanax as benzos are risky and potentially a slippery slope but if they help you in the short term then use with caution I say (but remember I am only a random person on the Internet). Be careful and don't use beyond the time period suggested. As someone who has struggled with benzo addiction I can tell you that it will only make things worse and being an addict means you need w constant supply. You won't get that from the doctor. In the US, I hear that many street xanax tablets are just fentanyl so you could end up with an opioid habit if you're not careful.

That's the main advice in a nutshell: be careful and use your shrinks as much as possible for all the help they can hopefully provide.

If you want to help with feelings of stress and anxiety you may want to consider cutting back on caffeine and nicotine as well. On top of that I would try taking a complete multivitamin to ensure you have adequate nutrition. If you want the xanax to be slightly more effective you can also try sublingual: holding the tablet under your tongue for 10-15 minutes. It will likely be disgusting but it is more bioavailable than oral. None of this should be considered medical advice, only friendly suggestions from a fellow patient, always make sure you consult with your physician

Well they might have a point regarding the xanax but the doctor's instructions aren't terrible either. When I read it, it seemed like she just gave you the pills and sent you on your way but the dosage and length of time sounds reasonable enough. Just try not to take them unless you really feel like you can't hold it together.

Keep talking to your shrinks and hopefully they can offer you practical advise regarding the day-to-day. Remember that there are emergency services, at least I hope so, if things become too much to handle.

As I said, the shrinks do have a point about the xanax as benzos are risky and potentially a slippery slope but if they help you in the short term then use with caution I say (but remember I am only a random person on the Internet). Be careful and don't use beyond the time period suggested. As someone who has struggled with benzo addiction I can tell you that it will only make things worse and being an addict means you need w constant supply. You won't get that from the doctor. In the US, I hear that many street xanax tablets are just fentanyl so you could end up with an opioid habit if you're not careful.

That's the main advice in a nutshell: be careful and use your shrinks as much as possible for all the help they can hopefully provide.
Thank you for your advice. The last few days I've been taking 5 x 0.5 throughout the day. One on waking, one late morning, one early afternoon, one in the evening, and one before bed. The effect from them seems to be minimum. I just perhaps have slightly racing thoughts, and managed to sleep throughout the night. I think my major hesitation is that my friend dying did so by his own hand, overdosing on oxycontin (which I had no idea he was using), and this has given me a big, big fear of medication, although right now I don't know another way. But if 1 - 2 weeks of use seems safe, then I guess it's the only way for now

If you want to help with feelings of stress and anxiety you may want to consider cutting back on caffeine and nicotine as well. On top of that I would try taking a complete multivitamin to ensure you have adequate nutrition. If you want the xanax to be slightly more effective you can also try sublingual: holding the tablet under your tongue for 10-15 minutes. It will likely be disgusting but it is more bioavailable than oral. None of this should be considered medical advice, only friendly suggestions from a fellow patient, always make sure you consult with your physician
Yep deffo reiterate the advise about vitamins and would abojt caffeine and nicotine if I wasn't a heavy smoker and coffee drinker myself. Some energy drinks contain taurine along with caffeine which may have anti-anxiety effects (I'm sure I read this somewhere - it is to counter the jittery nature of caffeine) and see full of b vitamins too. Not recommending but they help me and are better than coffee when it comes to staying awake but not being anxious.

Deffo multivitamins though. Exercise. Breathing exercises.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it

It's amazing for very short term use, but any use over and above that will just exacerbate the anxiety pretty quickly

Also - be wary of medicating grief - it still has to be processed, there's no avoiding it (no judge though friend, I'm aware that the circumstances around that are problematic for you too - just be very careful with benzo's or you have a problem like you would not believe)

Sorry about your friend and being homeless, I hope it gets better.
Wasn't there instructions on the prescription?
And be careful as they are addictive.
I was prescribed clonzepam when my husband died and a decade later still on it. I stick with my dose as I don't find benzos recreational but I'm sure my body is dependent on them now.

Thank you for your advice. The last few days I've been taking 5 x 0.5 throughout the day. One on waking, one late morning, one early afternoon, one in the evening, and one before bed. The effect from them seems to be minimum. I just perhaps have slightly racing thoughts, and managed to sleep throughout the night. I think my major hesitation is that my friend dying did so by his own hand, overdosing on oxycontin (which I had no idea he was using), and this has given me a big, big fear of medication, although right now I don't know another way. But if 1 - 2 weeks of use seems safe, then I guess it's the only way for now
There is good advice and support in this thread. You do not have to worry about overdosing on xanax as the risk is low. The main risks are developing a dependency (becoming addicted) or mixing with alcohol or other depressants, potentially causing respiratory failure. You've said that you don't drink or use other drugs so hopefully you will be OK. If things are hard, it might be tempting to take a drink but try and avoid it, especially when using benzos.

Good to see that you are getting good, supportive advice in this thread and I hope you get through these difficult times.

It's amazing for very short term use, but any use over and above that will just exacerbate the anxiety pretty quickly

Also - be wary of medicating grief - it still has to be processed, there's no avoiding it (no judge though friend, I'm aware that the circumstances around that are problematic for you too - just be very careful with benzo's or you have a problem like you would not believe)
Thanks. Yes, I'm staying aware of that as much as possible. Just a crisis moment and I simply need help to get through this, and well as travelling back for funeral and difficult family stuff.
I was prescribed clonzepam when my husband died and a decade later still on it. I stick with my dose as I don't find benzos recreational but I'm sure my body is dependent on them now.
The prescription says 3x0.5 per day, but she said if necessary I can take a little more, but not to exceed 4mg

Nothing will take away all the depression and anxiety. Some feelings you still process.
It will help with the anxiety but if you're planning on using something for long term maybe an antidepressant would be a better choice in the future

Nothing will take away all the depression and anxiety. Some feelings you still process.
It will help with the anxiety but if you're planning on using something for long term maybe an antidepressant would be a better choice in the future
Agreed. Just need t get through the formalities of the next week, with the funeral arrangements and whatever. I need something that helps immediately, in the now, then I will certainly move to an antidepressant for some time

Thanks :) Yes, I will be careful. I'm just going to get through the next week or two. Certainly won't go over two weeks of use, and then plan to move to an antidepressant. Being addicted to cigarettes is pain enough. I certainly don't want to add pills to the equation, especially that they won't be easy for me to get hold of if I run out, etc. I'm sorry to hear about your husband.

The xanax are a combo for the ciggs and coffee trust I know. It's very easy to go from .5 mg TID to 2 mg TID due to tolerence creeping up so quick. The thing is you won't know till it's too late due to the effects on the mind. I have 20 years experience with benzos so I know. I hate the vise and it's almost impossible to get off fully. Your playing with fire. They work and easy to get on but a lifetime to get off em. If this crisis is worse than you'll use the xans more than the last time, run out sooner, maybe ask to up the dose with the good doc? Trust leave em be.

The xanax are a combo for the ciggs and coffee trust I know. It's very easy to go from .5 mg TID to 2 mg TID due to tolerence creeping up so quick. The thing is you won't know till it's too late due to the effects on the mind. I have 20 years experience with benzos so I know. I hate the vise and it's almost impossible to get off fully. Your playing with fire. They work and easy to get on but a lifetime to get off em. If this crisis is worse than you'll use the xans more than the last time, run out sooner, maybe ask to up the dose with the good doc? Trust leave em be.
What is TID? Yes, I understand. From what I've read elsewhere, two weeks of usage, and then discontinuing appears safe. The doctor also advised me not to worry, and just to use it while only getting through this period.

What is TID? Yes, I understand. From what I've read elsewhere, two weeks of usage, and then discontinuing appears safe. The doctor also advised me not to worry, and just to use it while only getting through this period.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing. I'll point out that for people in your situation you'll be happy if you make mental health your top priority. I assume that you know that, but just in case you don't now you know.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing. I'll point out that for people in your situation you'll be happy if you make mental health your top priority. I assume that you know that, but just in case you don't now you know.
Mental health is absolutely my priority. Alls I want to do now is hold it together for the next week or two. Not interested in getting high, just getting through it.

What I noticed in the original post are several areas of grieving. Compartmentalize for clarity. Grieving for the loss of a friend and grieving for other losses like no place to call home. Keeping it separate is important. I bet that will help go through it. And is important kick, scream, cry and let it all out. There is the death of a friend. And there is living on a sofa leading to anxiety regardless. Grief can be clear and processed if we know what we are looking at.

If this was me, I do understand the grief has to be processed. I would cry 2 or 3 days without xanax, sleep a day away with a few xanax, go another few days without and cry and processing then sleep and relax a day away. This way you can process the grief and take a day off numbing it. Sort of limp along. Using the meds as a tool.

I am tired of grief. Seems that is all a lot of us do with the circumstances in our life. And I for one do not believe ANY human being should have to feel that pain but we do. Stay well OP, come back and updated us when you come out the other side. And you will. People on meds heal too so no take away. We just want you feeling better sooner.

People are on meds and grieve. It can still be processed if you are not afraid to look right at it.