• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Writing a novel about drug addiction

Pagey

Bluelight Crew
Hey!

I've been working on a novel recently that basically chronicles the life of two heroin addicts. The point of the thing was to sort of adress the stigma related to drug addiction. It's been coming around nicely but I don't want to leave anything out. These are the main points I've written about so far -
The fact that in many places, people don't dare call for help when someone OD'ed because of the risks of legal ramifications (the Good Samaritan Law is only in place in 5 US states, for instance).
Users are systematically looked down upon by society in general. They're immediately judged by people who know nothing of their lives or of their reasons for drug use. For instance, one of these two characters has been hooked on heroin since he was eleven because his dad introduced him to it. I don't want to divulge too much (in case, who knows, I get published some day, haha) but you get the idea.

So anyway my question is: do you have any ideas of other things I might be able to talk about? Other situations you know of where drug addicts were discriminated against unfairly?
Lots of other things go on in the novel too, but drug use is certainly one of the points I've been focusing on/want to focus on.
Hope this is the right place to post this, I wasn't too sure.

Thanks!

My 2 cents

There's definitaly descrimination when it comes to medical care. I have never personally expierenced it as a heroin user (never had to go after starting use), but I've read quite a bit of threads focusing around that. As a heroin user in the emergency room there is always a large chance that you'll be treated with extreme bias. Yes, you will get help, but don't be surprised when they let you suffer in a way they wouldn't do with a non-user. Example: Don't expect pain medicine, bare-minimum, no respect, dirty looks, rude comments, instead of nurses (usually nurses) being careful they show you there disdain with there actions. I've read about some pretty bad horror storys. Addicts may choose to stay far away from healthcare as long as they can, this being one of the reasons.

There's also how people get started on heroin. You mentioned one of your characters with the young kid/addict loser father scenario. I am in a situation as a legitimate pain patient whose spine was permenently damaged by a drunk driver/car wreck. I was on high, high doses of oxycodone 30's/oxycontin 80's then oxycodone 30's/opana ER 40's. Then the DEA bringing there hell along with insurance, it ended up that the heroin was just easier then the nightmare and believe it or not more affordable in comparison. I could go back to a pain doctor, but because I don't have cancer and am young (early 20's) the final effect of the DEA is I would be treated horribly. That's just one of a million ways. Alot of people have switched from scrip pain killers(off the street or doctor) to heroin because of availability and affordability.

My guys here and I gotta go, maybe he has some ideas. Good luck!

Thanks! BOth your ideas were very helpful, I appreciate it! :)

I rarely come round this part of BL . This kinda grabbed my attention what with my going on two decades of opiate addiction . I live in the U>k & have done most of my using their , i have also used in Portugal for a couple of years , Spain &Italy .
I have many tales to tell from my own personal experience . I would like to know where your novel is going to be based ? I see your location as Paris are you French ?

I'd be happy to hear about your personal experience if you want to share, I'm sure it would be useful! My novel is based in the US, Seattle specifically because I needed a state where the good samaritan law was in place otherwise I'd've been stuck (there's an OD at the beginning) - also because it's a country where the stigma associated to addicts is huged. However, one of the characters has lived both in France and England in the past so that's going to be a part of it. And yes, I'm french :)

Yeah i'll be in touch . I saw the post that you made in my thread in TDS regarding my current situation . Thanks for that .

Sounds good :) and I hope you're feeling all right regarding that situation - wishing you luck.