• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Would you willlingly accept being vaccinated against your DOC?

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Apparently the new frontier of pharmaceutical addiction therapy is vaccines that block all the subjective effects of a drug or stop it entering the brain see this link for more information

If these vaccines were commerically available for your DOC would you give it a go?

Personally I find that with drugs like Abilify that largely block metamphetamine I still have cravings and compulsions so I'm not sure the vaccine would stop me attempting to take enough meth to finally feel something.

If these vaccines were commerically available for your DOC would you give it a go?

For alcohol and opioids, no. Those are two drugs that really just needed my 100% commitment to stop, and at that point, I didn't need something to help alter the behavioral aspect with preventing the reward from using them.

For cocaine, yes, I would probably consider it. Cocaine has no physical dependence and isn't as integrated in my functionality in life like opioids and alcohol were. In that case, I can see a huge benefit to having that extra help to fix the reinforcing aspects.

Personally speaking and, as you know, not even being an active user of anything other than prescription meds. at this time, definitely not.

If they came up with a vaccination that would vaccinate against the psychological or emotional reasons for using drugs in the first place: then maybe. Or get their shit together to help improve the lives of people. Now there's an idea. Damn sure that would solve drug abuse problems to a large extent. If you just tally up the TRILLIONS of USD in the hands of only a few: they could afford to give every member of the world's population $1M USD and still have a substantial amount of spare change. Exclude children i.e. only include adults of working age in the exercise and the amount required would be less. Of course there'd be many that would simply smoke or snort or IV the lot away but that's where the Darwin Awards would come into play. I believe in the vast majority of cases they would use that money to improve their living conditions, maybe open businesses, and put it to good use, and feel like they have purpose and a place in society. Matter of fact: in the UK they did a social experiment some years ago with people that were, and had been, on benefits for years and years. In exchange for signing off benefits for a year: they were given the equivalent amount of their annual benefits in one lump sum. Long story short: in almost ALL cases their lives changed, they changed their own lives, for the better. All of a sudden they had pride and purpose and made and effort to improve their lives. They just needed a bit of a "leg up". It was followed by much controversy needless to say. But that's what I took from the series anyway.

Sorry. I suppose totally off topic (seems to be the flavor of the day for me today I'm afraid).

So in short: my answer is still "no" UNLESS I HONESTLY believed that my use of an illicit drug was the CAUSE of all of my problems as opposed to the RESULT of all of my problems.

I think this is a very insightful observation about the limitations of pharmaceutical solutions to drug addicition. Context is so important to whether people continue to pick up and the law of unintended consequences might come into play if people were unable to get relief through drugs because of vaccination - they might turn to anti-social behaviours instead as a response to their prior trauma, current life circumstances of psychological or psychiatric challenges.

I don't really see how that could work on someone who's already addicted. People would probably replace that drug with a different one.

Though I could see those kind of vaccines being administered to children to prevent them from enjoying drugs and becoming addicted. But I'm not sure if I would like a future where the government biochemically prevents you from ever being able to enjoy a drug.

I am on Antabuse, so in a sense I’d give that a hard yes. That’s only one if my DOCs though. The rest is up to me to keep on top of the best I can until maybe an options available. Even if I wind up sober for years I’d still get that vaccine just in case.

I am on Antabuse, so in a sense I’d give that a hard yes. That’s only one if my DOCs though. The rest is up to me to keep on top of the best I can until maybe an options available. Even if I wind up sober for years I’d still get that vaccine just in case.

May I ask how does antabuse work for your alcoholism? I'm mean in the psychological sense. I know how it works in your body, it basically magnifies the toxic effects of ethanol to the extreme by preventing the breakdown of acetaldehyde, kinda like if someone hit you in the head everytime you drank.
Are the side effects so unbearable that you're scared to drink? How about the cravings, are they still there?

May I ask how does antabuse work for your alcoholism? I'm mean in the psychological sense. I know how it works in your body, it basically magnifies the toxic effects of ethanol to the extreme by preventing the breakdown of acetaldehyde, kinda like if someone hit you in the head everytime you drank.
Are the side effects so unbearable that you're scared to drink? How about the cravings, are they still there?
Very good question and I'd like to know myself (if the OP is alright with sharing).

I know (well I KNEW) an alcoholic once who, under duress (wife), starting taking some green pills (no idea what they were called) and they were supposed to stop him drinking by making him sick (as in vomit) when he had a drink. In his case: sure didn't work at all (if anything it made the situation and his drunken behavior and antics even worse). But this was many years ago i.e. this stuff is probably something new and better researched.
I also take gabapentin and naltrexone to control cravings, but the Antabuse is the killer. Psychologically I’m thinking it’s done nothing, so far as actually altering my mind in any way on a biochemical level. I am absolutely revolted by the idea of getting so sick by having a drink while I’m on it though. It’s to the point that I rarely even think of drinking at all because I know all it will do is make me sick as long as I’m talking my pills. Its a completely unproductive thought to entertain on any level, good or bad. I just can’t so that’s that.

No I would not. I love the effect of drugs way too much. And I don't want anything to stop that.

Taking an antipsychotic like Abilify is a little bit like a vaccination against the effects of methamphetamine but I found that would often continue to take larger and larger doses of meth to bust through the blockage. A very unhealthy and risky practice I only stopped, by stopping to take the Abilify. I would worry with a vaccine I would kep trying to lush through because I am so conditioned to that meth/needle/pleasure loop. I'd give the vaccination a go though, provided it did not also interfere with dexamfetamine at Rx doses.

tough questions because I really have no DOC.... I've thought about this myself...

I love all drugs almost equally.... this is a problem for sobriety

I do however prefer downers over uppers.... but if I have extra money you bet I'm getting some uppers, too...

I would take a shot for alcohol tho, fucking hate that shit

Nah. On paper I have 10 vaccines and I don't have shit -- others have all of'em and the Chernobyl grow inside'em.

This sounds like a horrible fucking idea. Won't the vaccine block endogenous NTs as well?

jfc people there are simpler solutions

Wtf is this shit? Taking a vaccine that prevents your brain from feeling pleasure!? Have you lost your minds? Are we going to live in a dystopia like that from "Equilibrium" now? Neck shots at the sound of a siren? How about forearm tattoos just to keep track of who got injected with that shit? And why stop there? Why not implanting RFIDs into children's arms you know, just to be on a safe side? Fuck, this world is ripe for some thorough culling of all cowardly freaks that support treating others like cattle. Fucking Nazis with rainbow aureola behind their heads. I think i'm going to puke.

I think this is just a continuation of the kind of shit we are doing for quite some time now, sadly. We make "food" as nutritionless and addictive as possible, then kindly offer some help for all the fat and sick people, nice. Probably develop some pill that we sell each other, some fat-blocker and some supplements. The banner of the site also says "Cancer Vaccine". We pollute our environment (meaning: ourself) and force species-inappropriate lifestyles (physically and metally) on each other and then we get cancer and the rest. Surprise! Now we gonna fight this evil! There will never be a cancer vaccine unless it is immensely profitable! Cause the standard approach now is for prolonging (not healing) and to get the money of scared shitless people. It is big business! We design social media to be as addictive and manipulative as possible, destroying each others minds in the race for attention/profit, basically doing a large-scale wild-west experiment and then trying to solve technologys problems with more technology, evermore ideology (enlightenment my ass), developing ever more potent drugs, promoting a subset of them according to some agenda, demonizing and fighting others including the people that come in contact with them, even make plants or compounds that are naturally in our bodys illegal. Unhappy? Here take some pills! Don't you dare changing your lifestyle. You get the picture...

What about responsiblity? No, we don't want that. We seem to like to infantilise ourselfs. We are chasing our own tails and wonder why we are so dizzy. o_O Maybe i'm missing something here, but i don't think this is a solution at all. It doesn't address the core issue. We, as always, want shortcuts, but there is no free lunch baby, and never has been. This is just a fantasy IMO respectively more marketing. I'll stop the rant now..

Long story short: Would you willlingly accept being vaccinated against your DOC? No, cause i'm pretty sure it won't work unless there is readyness in myself. But given that, this mechanical/chemical engineering is obsolete. And with all that 'injecting children', 'planting RFID chips' etc. folks came up with, this is indeed some next level dystopian shit right there we are heading towards..

"O brave new world.." (I'm not out criticizing/stigmatizing ordinary people/addicts, but the way we roll in general.)

This sounds like a horrible fucking idea. Won't the vaccine block endogenous NTs as well?

jfc people there are simpler solutions

It wouldn't because their molecular structure is different.
As I understand it, the idea is to make the immune system create antibodies against morphine (just an example), so as soon as you consume the drug the body detects it and the immune system would quickly respond and innactivate drug via different mechanisms. This is how vaccines work, kind of.

It's actually an interesting idea, I'm just not convinced that it would solve the bigger problem of addictive behavior. And it could lead to some kind of dystopian future, though not necessarily.

If my DOC were meth, coke/rock, PCP, etc, or maybe even alcohol, I'd consider it. Those drugs lend to crazy behavior after one use, and they don't have any legitimate need in my life. Opiates are my DOC, and forever being immune to them is terrifying. Absolutely terrifying. Benzos are my secondary favorite, and are the only drug I have sworn off forever, but even then, I would want possible for emergencies

Like someone said previously in the thread, I don't believe you can cure an addict with this or any other drug or vaccination. You could stop new addicts from forming as often, maybe. Addiction is too complicated. If it were as simple as "I cant get high, I'm done" addiction would never last past the honeymoon period. We stick needles into our rotting, aching arms long after it's been about getting high. At that point it's insanity.

Or you could get whatever you want if you think you need it, get ECT, or go to 12 step meetings for the next 5 years, switch drugs or switch to sex, find Jesus, take an anti psychotic, I don't know. If a vaccine where reversible, and I needed it for whatever reason I tell myself, that's good enough for me.