• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Would you drink recycled water?

^^ Good point. The machine (brand name; "Atmosphere H2O" ) water quality is almost RO qual, so it contains close to no minerals. This could have the effect of leaching tissue salts and trace elements from the body if this was your only source of water, but tank-stored rainwater also does this for similar reasons.

Newer versions of the H2O machine (home-office sized models) are available without the heptachlor filter, but even without filtration the water is still quite pure, and still good enough to drink.

With the filter, it's much higher quality than filtered tap water or distilled water, making it perfect for washing analytical glassware - and much, much cheaper than a commercial RO system =D

The water from these systems is completely tasteless and no-one has yet said they didn't like it, but the point in posting is that H2O, the stuff we're supposedly short of; doesn't go anywhere. It's always around, essentially in the same quantities, only when it's not on the earth in solid or liquid form, it's in the atmosphere as vapour (higher energy - less intermolecular bonding). Put simply, reduce that energy and it falls out as a liquid

What I fail to understand is the economic rational in ignoring this approach to solving, or at least partly fixing the water crisis. We are continually being told that coal is cheap, which means electricity is cheap. It's far from green power, but Australia has vast reserves of coal and the infrastructure to ensure this form of energy production - like it or not - will be around for some time to come. If free energy was available tomorrow, coal furnaces would still burn for months at least, possibly even years until the newer system was proven to be reliable.

So if water is so hard to come by, and expensive to transport to remote areas, why not produce it near a power plant? It seems like common sense to me. We have the technology, and sewage can be put to additional uses than it currently is. It is a vast wealth of minerals, but if conditions are right, also host to some very useful bacteria.

I've a friend who has a self built methane digesting toilet which has run for over 25 years without need for servicing . With the gas produced, he runs a 4 element stove and a hot water system for a family of 9. A future project he and I are currently planning involves turning this bio-gas generator into a fuel cell. Nothing new in that, but there's a few additional ideas on the drawing board which may make such a system a viable proposition in the carbon credit Kyoto world of the future %)

Apologies of the off-topic Sunday morning rant :\

Nice posts p_d :)

Just out of curiosity, how many people here have rainwater tanks at home?

katmeow said:

I guess as long as they could guarantee there were no health problems associated with any of these & the waste water could be left contaminant free, I'd have no problems with any of them.

same :)

What I dont get is why can't they extract salt from seawater and we wouldn't even need to worry about drinking old pee-pee.

Look at all the things we can do but we can't get salt out of ocean water??

I don't dig.

^^ I drank desalinated water in the middle east, it's a 2 step process, they smelt Australian Aluminium and the heat generated is used to desalinate the water there. The other source is bore water.

I must admit, desalinated water tasted better than my tap water here in the CBD in Melbourne.... but.... the CBD has old pipes, new estates are much cleaner and tastier.

I lived in the middle east for 3 years and pretty much all the water we had came from desalinisation. These days they dont even use evaporative desalinisation like ^, but use reverse osmosis desalinisation. It was actually pretty damn good water too.

Most houses had one tap with 'sweet' water for drinking and cooking, and the rest of the house was hard water. I tell you, it made it damn hard to lather soap in the shower!

and if you served in recent times in any of the services, you would have no choice in the matter :)