• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Would psychedelics be a good idea for a guy like me?

I just want to chime in and say that I was in a similar situation to you but I was at the better end if it things were finally looking up and I was finally in a good frame of mind so I turned to LSD to help me find a more positive outlook, in saying that the trip focusing on said things was difficult but In no way bad and I feel I've come out better then I went in.
I'm not trying to encourage you in anyway especially if you are in a bad place but I can say first hand if used responsibly it can make a difference

The fact that people with certain medical conditions should not take certain drugs is not ableist. I personally think it would be more ableist to pretend psychedelics are safe for everyone and thereby ignore the increased risks faced by certain people.

Even people who are perfectly healthy have widely varying reactions to psychedelic drugs. Respectfully, I think that if you take the view that psychedelic drugs are safe for everybody then you probably haven't been using them for very long or haven't trip-sat for very many people.

Yes this, but also it completely depends on the type of mental illness because some mental problems in particular don't rhyme well at all with what psychedelics do, while other illnesses shouldn't make tripping a particularly bad plan.
And that's not even counting the possible big difference between two people with the same diagnosis.

Ableism is more about irrational prejudice about what others with a condition can or cannot do. But that doesn't really apply to sensitivities that directly contraindicate with what psychedelics do. Contraindication is also what clocktower seems to refer to more generally.

The fact that people with certain medical conditions should not take certain drugs is not ableist. I personally think it would be more ableist to pretend psychedelics are safe for everyone and thereby ignore the increased risks faced by certain people.

Even people who are perfectly healthy have widely varying reactions to psychedelic drugs. Respectfully, I think that if you take the view that psychedelic drugs are safe for everybody then you probably haven't been using them for very long or haven't trip-sat for very many people.

You're right, I've only had about 30 trips over the past 4 years, the majority by myself.
I don't think everyone should just eat a tab on a whim. But, if it interests you and you do research and have a good setting, the benefits could outweigh the risks.

You just have to be able to afford the two steps back and not only the three steps ahead. If you're in a particularly bad spot, two steps back can lead you over a precipice.

Yes, anything short of true psychosis, schizophrenia, unguided tripping with ptsd or heavy anxieties or OCD sure has a fair shot with a trip... that is the promise. And yeah if you dose low enough the risk should be low enough, also true.
Myself and others I know have taken large doses while in the midst of a crisis, and came out on top.
I know it's just my experience and not everyone reacts the same, but I find that going into it with a therapuetic mindset can bring closure on some issues and others to the light.
Telling someone they shouldn't dose because of some diagnosis is irrational... every mind is different and it's not up to you or a doctor to say it affected this person this way so it may do the same to you.
Let people decide for themselves what is right for them.

Let people decide for themselves what is right for them.

I agree 100%. However, it is a fact that people in poor mental health are at greater risk of having a trip they regret, and people need to be aware of that when they make that decision.

It all depends on the type of mental condition in question. Someone with depression or anxiety could trip and see no detrimental side effects or even an improvement in their condition, although people like this could have increased susceptibility to bad trips, so careful control of dose and set & setting is a must. Other conditions like psychosis or schizophrenia/schizoaffective are definitely a no-go with psychedelics. Unlike with most people, tripping with these types of conditions really is like playing russian roulette with your mind. You might get through a trip unscathed, but you could also have a train wreck of a bad trip that lands you in the hospital or jail or accelerates the progression of your condition. Just because you can run across a highway blindfolded and not get hit doesn't make it a good idea, and suggesting that people ignore the advise of their doctor or psychologist to find out for themselves is wildly irresponsible and largely why the psychedelic community is still looked down upon by most of mainstream society.

I'm currently going through a very rough time in life, low self esteem, long bouts of depression, anxiety and all the sort. The only reason why I ask this is because I'm in need of a different state of mind than the one I'm currently in. Right now I feel as if nothing will go right and my life has nothing but failure written all over it.

I'm 23 years old, having experienced plenty of drug use in my past. (Mainly MJ) I've got a general understanding about how they affect me. I suspect that I have a wide array of mental illnesses that stem on the fact that I just feel out of place in this society and that I can't connect with people and am just socially awkward to the point of where it hurts. My experience with shrooms at a younger age, wasn't necessarily good considering I had a terrible setting (at my parents house with a few friends that inside I didn't really trust) but it wasn't life changingly bad by any means. This time I would be doing them with people I feel extremely comfortable with and will have someone sober looking after us. The only problem I have with the idea is that I tend to overthink alot of things and criticize myself to an unhealthy level which could possibly negatively affect the trip(if I let it) the goal of this whole post is to get some insight from the more experienced trippers here on if this is a realistic goal or if I'm just setting myself up for failure? (At this point of time I feel like my mindset couldn't get any worse to be honest)

Ok. PSYCHEDELICS can really help you. they can get you into parts of your brain you are not currently using, and they can make connections in your brain that aren't currently made. Psilocybin is the best psychedelic for this. It is manageable in ways that LSD may not be. You can manage your own doses. Start small and go a bit bigger as you get used to it. Trips last 4-5 hours and will be less for smaller doses. Psilocybin will show you the parts of yourself beyond your history. It can be a very important teacher. A lot of research is being done with it. Here is a great article to familiarize yourself with how fantastic it can be.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/05/17/why-psychedelics-could-be-a-new-class-of-antidepressant/

It is, however, true that psychedelics are starting to be studied again for things such as depression and other mental/emotional issues. Of course in the context of a professional, guided setting is going to be far safer.