• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Worried (as an ex-addict) Asking my Doctor to increase my opiate meds?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
I've never actually been off opiates since I started. It all started when I was rushed into hospital with acute pancreatitis (alcohol-related; I have not had a drink in 2 years now). I was on intravenous morphine every four hours for three months while in the hospital. I was given morphine pills to take home and after increasing the dosage several times (I genuinely am unsure if it some addiction there, but I WAS in excruciating pain) and was then switched to oxycodone (OxyContin slow release plus oxycodone instant releases). I did form an addiction then and when my doctor refused to increase it, I began ordering online to top off my prescription and I began shorting it.
My GP found out after a few months and got me into the addiction services the next day and I spent several days being titrated up on methadone, which I took for three years. I chose to quit the methadone cold turkey by myself due to side effects (weight gain, severe hyperhidrosis). That was 10 weeks of hell.
Due to legit pain I was immediately given codeine and two and a half years ago I was given Tramadol, which I still take.
I used heroin on and off while I was on methadone but have no idea if my doctor knows.

My chronic pain comes from an improperly healed spinal fracture and two slipped disks.

The disks are consistently getting worse over time (I know this from x-rays, MRIs etc as well as pain) and the tramadol (300mg/day) just doesn't even come close anymore. I'm unable to leave the house, some days I cant get out of bed, I don't sleep for the pain.

I have an appointment with my doctor (GP) on Monday and just don't know what to say or how to convince him I am genuine here. I cannot go on living with this agony anymore. I have a high pain-threshold, but the severity now I can't take.

I was thinking of just explaining this to him exactly as I have with you guys (total honesty). Please, does anyone have advice for me on how to handle this? I understand he will be very reluctant to prescribe me more opiates or stronger opiates, but at the same time my quality of life is shit right now and I'm genuinely in need.

I have been on opiate pain killers for a long time... though I don't have the history with my doctor you do, I found that honesty has always worked best. When my dose wasn't working (until the 'opiate crisis) my doctor would adjust them as best she could. I have crushed vertebrae, and some really weird bone defects that cause great deals of pain, so she was always willing to do what was needed. Now... well now the government knows better what is good for me, so my doctor's opinion does not matter anymore- let alone my own.

I would strongly suggest asking your doctor for a reference to a pain management doctor if your discussion does not go well. In the meantime, stay strong!

It sounds like your doctor is a pretty good person if they got you into treatment when they found out and didn't just drop you entirely. For the kind of injury you have it would seem weird to not be taking opiates for the pain.

Just be as honest as possible with your doc and don't push too hard. Tell them the truth, you are in an immense amount of pain and the dose you are on right now is not covering most of your pain. The fact that your doctor is still prescribing you opiates even after what you've been through tells me they still understand your situation and care about your wellbeing.

I have an excellent GP. He has put up with more from me than any doctor normally would ever. I probably cause him more problems than all his other patients combined. I don't mean to, but between eating disorders and addiction - and being Borderline Personality Disorder, I tend to cause chaos to those around me.
Any other doctor would have dropped me several times by now.
He's even turned up at my house in the evening just too check how I was because he was worried.