• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Worried about what's next..

Needhelpfast1

Greenlighter
Had a serious head on car crash both of us going 40mph on Friday, the guy who I crashed with was allegedly suicidal although he got discharged at the scene by paramedics, me on the other ha d broken nose, concussed badly, and my chest and upper back on one side from the seatbelt is in severe pain since, whiplash apparently, had xrays no broken bones but sat morning and this morning when waking up wasiterslly crying in pain and was excruciatingly hard to get out of bed.

Been given dihydrocodeine 30mg from the hospital but trying not to take them unless I absolutely have to.. I find when I finally get out of bed, take one and move aboit a bit the pain is bearable and I know it's early days but I've seen on here so many people end up addicted and in chronic pain from a similar situation.. Any harm reduction tips..? Has anyone had similar and ended up healing OK.. I can't bear the idea of waking up with that pain every day and needing pills just to get by. I feel sick and dizzy when I take them as it is although they do help the pain.
Am going to an osteomyologist tomorrow to have. A proper look and maybe some acupuncture or treatment there, I don't wana go back to the hospital as I know it'll just be pain management where they've x rayed me and found no breaks..

Thanks in advance for any replies x

The statistic is that most people develop dependency after 3 weeks of use. Unfortunately I cannot back this information up though. It sounds like your pain is temporary and you need relief. I wouldn't fear becoming hooked for life over this time period--but it is a justifable concern.

If you only use them during this time period I'd imagine you'd be okay as long as you don't pursue it anymore after your injuries heal well enough to go on without any medication. It's not a mind-blowing feeling, but it does tend to grow on people more and more as their use continues. However, at the end of the day they are pain relief and if you're in unbearable pain it could be in your best interest to use the medication as intended. If you find your injuries taking way longer to heal than expected, then I would start to become concerned about dependency. But I don't think there's anything wrong with using the medication as instructed for this time period. It really does take a longer period of time than just a week to become addicted to opioids (in my opinion). It's easier to stop taking them obviously when withdrawal isn't an issue. And after a month of use I really can't see you succumbing to unbearable withdrawal symptoms. If I were you I would take them until the pain is managable without them--it sounds like you're suffering right now. Sorry that all happened.

It's true that some people in your situation have landed directly into opioid addiction--but it's also important to note that many have also not have any issues with dependency as well. Not everyone who is prescribed opioids becomes addicted. If you're constantly in stress from the physical pain, it will potentially take longer to heal and affect your mentality which in turn leads to a slower healing process.

Last edited:
The statistic is that most people develop dependency after 3 weeks of use. Unfortunately I cannot back this information up though. It sounds like your pain is temporary and you need relief. I wouldn't fear becoming hooked for life over this time period--but it is a justifable concern.

If you only use them during this time period I'd imagine you'd be okay as long as you don't pursue it anymore after your injuries heal well enough to go on without any medication. It's not a mind-blowing feeling, but it does tend to grow on people more and more as their use continues. However, at the end of the day they are pain relief and if you're in unbearable pain it could be in your best interest to use the medication as intended. If you find your injuries taking way longer to heal than expected, then I would start to become concerned about dependency. But I don't think there's anything wrong with using the medication as instructed for this time period. It really does take a longer period of time than just a week to become addicted to opioids (in my opinion). It's easier to stop taking them obviously when withdrawal isn't an issue. And after a month of use I really can't see you succumbing to unbearable withdrawal symptoms. If I were you I would take them until the pain is managable without them--it sounds like you're suffering right now. Sorry that all happened.

It's true that some people in your situation have landed directly into opioid addiction--but it's also important to note that many have also not have any issues with dependency as well. Not everyone who is prescribed opioids becomes addicted. If you're constantly in stress from the physical pain, it will potentially take longer to heal and affect your mentality which in turn leads to a slower healing process.
Thank u for that, very informative. Only taking the prescribed dose and it actually makes me feel a little sick and dizzy so I'm not like enjoying a buzz off it lol. Yeah I'm keeping a positive mindset and I know I'm only on day. 2, never felt pain like it though every time I breath in I feel my collar bones crunch and whole ribcage and chest is painful. keeping active as in not laying down all day I noticed helped and I went nearly 12 hours not taking it just having paracetamol and ibuprofen. I also just got some Rick simpson cannabis oil a friend of mine makes and he's said one drop twice a day should help with the pain. Just done a drop so see what happens. Never tried it before be interesting to see how it goes hoping I can use that instead of the dhc.