• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Worried about my friend's addiction

BigD9797

Greenlighter
Okay so I've dabbled with quite a few drugs. I always told myself I'd never do heroin or meth. Well...My curiosity got the best of me 2 months ago and I tried heroin. I loved it! Smoked 3 hits of brown after a couple beers and felt great. I knew my friend had been messing with it for a while and suspected he was addicted. A couple weeks ago I went back to the same friends house, and he was shooting. I figured uh oh...but I wanted to try that too. I took one hit on foil and then he said he wanted me to get enough to nod off. So I IV'd 0.3 and it was great, but I was sick the next morning. He told me he did 0.7 that night. The next morning he was not feeling well and admitted to his addiction. He shot up 1.5 in the morning. I don't know much about H, but I'm guessing he's got a very very high tolerance to be able to do so much, and we were watching TV and he seemed totally normal. I don't want to fall into that same path, but I'm more worried about my buddy. He doesn't seem to be doing well and now I know where all his money is going :( How should I approach this situation? I've already told him I want him to get clean, because I care about him as a friend. I can see it drowning his personality and it makes me sad.

You're a great friend, since you've already stepped in abit about wanting and helping him to quit please continue, I don't have any good advice but just my opinion
opinion. I as well as my friends fell into that path and ended up at the end of it, its very bad, lost my friends (they didn't die but you get the point). Hopefully someone chimes in and give you proper help and advice.

Heroin, is a opiate, pain killer at the top. It's used in hospitals for injury and bone pains, after some certain surgeries to ease the pain whilst recovering etc. Heroin breaks into morphine in your body hence other drugs used for pain and stuff mentioned above are oxycodone, oxycontin fentanyl, tramadol codeine etc.. Just trying to explain since you say you don't know much about h. Again hopefully someone chimes in at this lol.

Don't do h, atleast not frequently.

Unfortunately he wont listen to common sense. This drug is his only friend. Try, try your best. Have him make an account on this site and we will tell him. But you are also headed down a dark path that leads to nothing but regret, pain, suffering, lies, manipulation, etc... opiates robbed me of everything I ever cared for but in the end the only way I could get off it was by hitting bottom a couple times and then finally getting on bupe maintenance. Good luck, but he wont listen, or he will listen but the urge to use will be too powerful. One thing I urge you is not to take it personal, please always be there for him, don't enable him (don't let him borrow money, don't give him rides to dealers house, etc...) but don't throw him to the wolves like everybody did to me, including my ex-wife who is an addiction counselor.

It wont always be easy, like today is a day that I wish I wasn't alive, if I had an easy enough way to do it, I would probably kill myself. But that is what happens when everyone abandons you even your old army buddies... but who can blame them they been through the same shit as me. Army ruined my life and killed my best friend, I wish it was me every fucking day. It is like fucking inception, once you get the idea in your head you never get it out. The only way I can make peace with him, is to make peace with myself and end it all.

I think you need to take a gentle approach. When using opiates it's easy for friends concern to feel like biting judgement and he will not want to be around that. He is probably telling himself lies about his usage and will be reluctant to face the harsh realities of the situation. If you push to hard he may just push you away. At the same time though as blowingclouds says don't enable him and be aware that the drug is controlling him now. He may lie to get money so be vigilant that he will likely use that money for his habit. But also protect yourself I am not a full blown opiate addict but I am teetering on the edge right now and sadly it hurts the people around you as much as it hurts you. I have stolen from family. lied to friends to get funds for a next hit, not in massive ways but It's still a scummy thing to do (another thing abut addiction the shame feeds the habit, it's a bitter circle). In my mind like many addicts I try to excuse myself (I'll just have a one gram binge and then I will be done etc) but of course it never ends. They always say you can't help an addict until they are ready to help themselves and I'm afraid it's true, be supportive, try to suggest he get clean but don't judge, don't make him feel like you are shaming him because I can tell you it hurts and he may push you away for it. But also be aware that he may drag you down with him, trying to help an addict is very painful. Also I would recommend not joining him in his use you will just end up addicted too and then you will enable each other.

Sounds like your a good friend though man, try to stand by him as much as you can. He will need someone caring around if he finally decides to quit.

Also just to note .3 iv'd without a tolerance seems like an unbelievably high amount, I am used to good stuff but still no wonder you were sick the next morning. If I did half as much with the stuff I have now I have no doubts I would overdose. I guess I'm jut really lucky to get good stuff.

Anyway good luck with your friend.

I agree with blueskies, iv'ing .3 of heroin with no tolerance you are almost guaranteed to overdose on the stuff I get, so I'm assuming the stuff you guys are getting isn't very good. Especially since you said he shot 1.5 grams in one shot that's crazy even for someone with a high tolerance.

Remember to treat him with respect, as if he has a disease that was acquired not of his own doing. I'd bet that he knows he isn't where he wants to be, regrets being on drugs more than you regret seeing him on them, andhe still cant stop. It makes it really really hard when people dont understand opiate dependence, more often than not their attitude will push them back towards their only nonjudgemental friend. Look up available treatment options like maintenance and stuff, and present then to him in a non confrontational manner, just let him know there are ways out that aren't terrible.

Well in this situation you just gotta be blunt with him and tell him he needs to stop and try to convince him to it would be a good idea to also mark the locations of any rehabs near you and tell your friend about it spill all your feelings to that friend and if he's true he'll come in the for you good luck

-Streetcow

Okay so I've dabbled with quite a few drugs. I always told myself I'd never do heroin or meth. Well...My curiosity got the best of me 2 months ago and I tried heroin. I loved it! Smoked 3 hits of brown after a couple beers and felt great. I knew my friend had been messing with it for a while and suspected he was addicted. A couple weeks ago I went back to the same friends house, and he was shooting. I figured uh oh...but I wanted to try that too. I took one hit on foil and then he said he wanted me to get enough to nod off. So I IV'd 0.3 and it was great, but I was sick the next morning. He told me he did 0.7 that night. The next morning he was not feeling well and admitted to his addiction. He shot up 1.5 in the morning. I don't know much about H, but I'm guessing he's got a very very high tolerance to be able to do so much, and we were watching TV and he seemed totally normal. I don't want to fall into that same path, but I'm more worried about my buddy. He doesn't seem to be doing well and now I know where all his money is going :( How should I approach this situation? I've already told him I want him to get clean, because I care about him as a friend. I can see it drowning his personality and it makes me sad.

Honestly, you have to be very careful yourself... Most people that try IV heroin, end up becoming IV heroin junkies...

Yeah exactly, once people iv they will tend to try iv anything that can be ivd, since you've just started and tried it you can turn back, please do so. Great advices from above posters, props to them.

Yeah exactly, once people iv they will tend to try iv anything that can be ivd, since you've just started and tried it you can turn back, please do so. Great advices from above posters, props to them.

and things that can't be IV'd. That is when people tend to lose arms.

You can talk to your friend; but since he's addicted to heroin, he's not going to listen to you, or going to stop. He may get very angry if you lecture him.

I would concentrate more on yourself as you also sound as though you are addicted to heroin or will be soon. You are both also running the risk of overdosing. Mostly all IV drug users do wind up sharing a needle which is not good. Since you both IV NEVER share needles with anyone not even your friend, and get tested for HIV and Hep C.

Good luck, and stay safe.

You can talk to your friend; but since he's addicted to heroin, he's not going to listen to you, or going to stop. He may get very angry if you lecture him.

I would concentrate more on yourself as you also sound as though you are addicted to heroin or will be soon. You are both also running the risk of overdosing. Mostly all IV drug users do wind up sharing a needle which is not good. Since you both IV NEVER share needles with anyone not even your friend, and get tested for HIV and Hep C.

Good luck, and stay safe.

and do small tester shots every time, to gauge potency and avoid OD'ing, the other major risk with IV heroin.

And consider what your mom would think of your heroin habit, and the rest of your family, and how much it would hurt them if you died...

I don't mean to be a downer but there is a very real chance heroin will kill you if you dabble with it for long enough.

Sorry if it's unorthodox to necro a thread but I just wanted to shed some positivity to the forum. I do apologize for not responding, I must have forgot about this thread after I posted it. Looking now, I appreciate all of the responses that were received! Thanks for taking the time to send good advice.

Yeah I'm guessing the dope was weak, I do remember him saying that it was cut.

The good news is, in early May, 2016 my friend was sent off to rehab (For I believe the 5th or 6th time) and it was successful! I don't remember the program, but he was there for many months. He is still clean, doing very well for himself and happy. We are still good friends and now looking back in the long-run, made our friendship stronger. Everyone but his Mom and I had abandoned him by that May, so it all paid off.

I stopped when he left, and then picked it back up again in January, 2017. I started doing a 1g sack a week, every other week, thinking it wasn't a big deal. Then it was a 2g sack a week every other week. I was starting to realize that it was becoming obsessive when doing it was the highlight of my day. Right around the time I decided I was "done" my dealer ironically got arrested. I haven't touched the stuff since April 30, 2017.

Sorry if it's unorthodox to necro a thread but I just wanted to shed some positivity to the forum. I do apologize for not responding, I must have forgot about this thread after I posted it. Looking now, I appreciate all of the responses that were received! Thanks for taking the time to send good advice.

Yeah I'm guessing the dope was weak, I do remember him saying that it was cut.

The good news is, in early May, 2016 my friend was sent off to rehab (For I believe the 5th or 6th time) and it was successful! I don't remember the program, but he was there for many months. He is still clean, doing very well for himself and happy. We are still good friends and now looking back in the long-run, made our friendship stronger. Everyone but his Mom and I had abandoned him by that May, so it all paid off.

I stopped when he left, and then picked it back up again in January, 2017. I started doing a 1g sack a week, every other week, thinking it wasn't a big deal. Then it was a 2g sack a week every other week. I was starting to realize that it was becoming obsessive when doing it was the highlight of my day. Right around the time I decided I was "done" my dealer ironically got arrested. I haven't touched the stuff since April 30, 2017.
I am glad you both stopped using heroin and opiates.