• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

worn/old - clothes/fabrics (t-shirts specifically but same applies to all cotton)

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
err... "should apply to anything cotton" is what it shoulda read..

i want to know how to make a new shirt, like [some of]my old shirts. i'm at the point that i think this is only an issue of thread-count, nothing more. in the past few mo, i've done more random experiments with sun, salt, bleach, oil, sod.hydroxide, etc(etc=i'm embarrassed to say the myriad approaches i've taken).

i simply *cannot* give new shirts the feel of my old shirts. is this truly nothing more than thread count? tell me yes, so i can stop caring. until then, i've got like 10 shirts i've gotten in the past 6mo, that i really want to "wear" to the level of worn/old that some of my 10+yr old t's are at. having played with temperatures, wet/dry, solvents/soaps/etc, and more online searching than i care to admit, i'm about to give up, about to assume the only way a shirt can truly become a 'favorite' of mine, is if i fucking own/wear/etc it for half a decade or longer. i'm unconvinced that there's no work-around for time, but fuct if i can find an answer, so i appeal to bluelight for help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try a long tumble dry with some coarse sand perhaps. I offer no assurance that this will work, or that it won't fuck up your dryer.

yeah i don't wanna try that.. one of my 'test' shirts has been washed/dried so heaviliy it's not even funny (i literally have a shirt that, for the past few months, i've just tossed on the lawn in the sun, wayyy over-dried it, did all kinds of chemical treatments- only faded it, didn't make it softer, or give it a "worn" feel/texture :/

Have you tried wearing shirts made from different materials?

There might be something out there that gives you that worn in feel to it without actually having to do it.

I know what you are saying though.. I have some old t-shirts I really like.
But I also like the feel of new shirts haha

i typically stay with cotton/linen.. but there';s a feel to some types of cotton (new shirts or old), i was hoping i could get some of my "stiffer" shirts to be soft/flex/move like some of my fav (mostly old) shirts. am suspecting this is an issue of thread count that cannot be beaten w/ 'treatments' or anything.. am unsure if i should hit HD and grab some chemicals or just put this to rest lol