• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

World of Warcraft - Make $300 a month

Kul69

Bluelighter
Just something someone is doing at the moment and I know there are a few people here who play World of Warcraft. He is paying $10 a day to lease level 60 USA accounts out to Chinese farmers. They will pay your monthly subscription but you might want to pay and retain total ownership of the account. Can read the details at the link below.

http://rpg-exploiters.shoq.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9859

Also, Best Buy is selling World of Warcraft for $19.99 with $10 off another game if you buy one at $19.99. So you can get two copies for $30. Then you get the first month free of course. Get to level 60 in the first month and start leasing your account. A $15 investment for the CD-Key gets you $300 every month until this guy is shut down which might happen soon or might never happen.

I personally have 23 WoW accounts, but I just sell gold to resellers ;)

That's entirely too much effort but I find the economics of making money within a virtual world a really interesting concept.

i once witnessed a single chinese or korean (dunno which its a vastly popular trade in both countries) manipulate 10 dark age of camelot accounts simultaneously, on the latest client (demands uber machine power for a single account).

guy either had 5 seperate machines he was using at once, or 10. we followed him around this dungeon for hours cuz it was hilarious just watchin him go. maybe he was a freak with 17 arms, i dunno. funny as hell you can make a living in places in the world just killing stuff in virtual reality.

considering how much farming devastates a virtual economy, we made sure he ran into some nasty shit and watched all 10 of his toons die mercilessly while '/laughing' the whole time.

Too much effort? You can get to level 60 in about 125 hours or 16 days playing 8 hours a day. If you did that twice you would have 2 accounts with a level 60 for one month of full time work. Then you could make $600 a month from those accounts while you work somewhere else. After just two months of leasing the accounts you'd have have made more than minimum wage for your time invested. After half a year you'd have made that work worth $29 an hour.

I know where you're coming from though. Can't always afford to not make money for a month or two while you wait for something that might not even work in the end. The guy could end up with all the accounts he needs before you get yours in, the game could change and he might not be able to make enough gold in the game to be worth leasing accounts at $10 a day, he might have his operation shut down by the people who run the game.

It's a risk like most things in life.

If you really wanted to profit off this you could invest $2,000 in two computers good enough to run 4 copies of World of Warcraft at the same time. Then go to Best Buy and get 8 accounts for $120. After that you play 4 characters at once on one computer, and 4 characters at once on the other computer. Put the characters in 2 groups of 4 and automate them to play themselves. Then you just have to update the code every 5 levels or so when you move to new hunting grounds and get new abilities.

End up with 8 level 60s to lease out which would make you $2,400 a month. After one month you'd make your investment back. Semi-stable $2,400 a month, 8 level 60 WoW characters, and 2 nice computers for 1/2 a month of serious work. Whenever this guy stops leasing accounts you sell the 8 characters for another $1,500 in profit.

Video games can be such an obscene source of income when you know what you're doing. I find myself addicted to the money though and it's hard to keep persuing a "real" career. I take a pay cut to work in a real job cause I don't believe the virtual currency market will be so profitable forever and I'll end up stuck with no other skills. Who knows though, it hasn't slowed down in 8 years yet just switched which currency is the most valuble.

Last edited:
my hubby and his friends are level 60 or higher...he can be making money off of this?! cool. i hate the damn game, i don't let him play until the kids go to bed, and he is up for hours! but hey, if it is a money maker!

ahh, the days of slaying nubs and selling their shit on ebay...

sux that all these lame carebear games tookover, now i have to find a real job :(

DarthMom said:
my hubby and his friends are level 60 or higher...he can be making money off of this?! cool. i hate the damn game, i don't let him play until the kids go to bed, and he is up for hours! but hey, if it is a money maker!

You can make a LOT more money than just $300 a month on that game, if you are creative and determined. There are many googleable websites that explain possible ways people are making money on these MMORPG's...

Question (forgive my naivety): Why do people bother to buy yours when they could just easily make their own then?

In terms of other players, they buy accounts and gold because they don't want to put in the time to get it themselves. They want to play at level 60 but they don't want to spend 3 months playing whenever they're off work to get there. They'd rather just buy a level 60 and play occasionally when they want to. Same goes for buying gold. Getting gold in the game isn't the fun part it's really boring so if someone just buys the gold they get all the items without any of the work.

Like if you're working 40 hours a week making $10 an hour, you could buy 100 gold for one hour of work. However, in the game it could take you 4 or 5 hours to make 100 gold. Some people know secrets to making gold faster and some people are horrible at it. Easier to work 1 hour in reality for 100 gold than 5 hours in a game for 100 gold, if you suck at making gold.

The reason Chinese farmers would rather lease out an account instead of leveling their own is that they'd rather spend all of their time farming gold rather than spending 1/2 a month leveling up a character. Also since they are in China they're actually restricted from playing on North American servers. You're providing the North American account and it's been played from a North American IP address. They require you to be the original owner of the account because Blizzard sometimes bans accounts that change IPs from USA to China. If you're the original owner you can call Blizzard and tell them your account was stolen or whatever and get it unbanned.

Also I'm not sure if this happens in WoW at all but in other games I've played people who are cheating to farm gold and such who have obscene amounts of gold can manipulate the economy and almost make buying gold required.

If you have unlimited money in the game you just buy all of the nice items that are for sell and then resell them at the price you want. Let's say this sword is selling for 100g and you buy it and sell it for 300g. Every time someone wants to sell one of these below 300g you buy it and resell it for 300g.

That sword might actually only be worth 100g but you've made it impossible to find for that price. You do this with every weapon and basically make it impossible to find cheap weapons anymore. The amount of money people are making in the game hasn't changed though. Someone who would have payed 100g for that sword won't be able to pay 300g, they can't afford it.

Guess how they can afford it though? Buying gold. Then you sell gold in allotments of 300g on the server you're doing this on. Makes it so tempting ;)

Eventually you don't even have to control the economy anymore. People will realize that you'll buy this sword if they sell it for less than 300g but then they're realize you're just reselling it and they'll start selling it themselves for 300g and you've just manipulated the price of that object for a long time. Basically it is worth 300g now because people will buy gold online to pay for it since that is the only way to get it.

wtf... sounds more like a drug addiction than a game. I'm with THR, it's not worth the effort. I could do other things to make just as much extra income monthly. like deal drugs.

Fucking WOW, and everquest. I was a god back on ultimate online, if you don't know what that is you can go to hell and die. :D

I dont know why the software developers arent selling the higher levels directly. They could be capitalizing on that rather than letting random people make money off it.

Yep, it's a waste of time.. should sell drugs and risk your life and getting caught for what I'd say is minimal profits compared to this. People seem to be unable to dedicate time or money to something that will pay off in months or even years, it's always about that instant money.

Anyway this was more for people who already have a level 60 who don't even play anymore and want to be making $300 a month from it. If you were actually trying to start this up as a business you wouldn't be leasing out accounts you'd be selling to resellers directly and doing the work yourself.

I originally included in the post how much I'm making every month from WoW but there's no point cause no one would believe it. The virtual currency market is getting more and more profitable though as more and more people play these games.

Last edited:
You probably look like the kids from last nights southpark episode though playing that much WoW.

Hahaha.. Well I have to admit I havn't had a haircut or trimmed my beard in almost a year now but it's not because of WoW ;)

I don't actually play WoW anyway, it got boring for me. I just wrote a clientless bot program and it runs multiple times on multiple computers and plays the game for me and sends all of the gold created to a central account where I actually login and mail it to a reseller who sells it to individuals.

When I say clientless bot what I mean is the program I have creates the packets needed to do whatever it needs to do and sends them to the server and looks at the response. There is no need to render the graphics or whatever, that is for humans.

If I had to guess I'd say I spend maybe 100 hours or so every month maintaining the whole operation. It's really hard to keep track of the time cause I just login to the computers remotely and check up on everything and fix whatever might be broken, that's all the time I put into it.

You can make 100 gold in a day by just making a new level 1 character and selling the items on it which is worth like 10 copper or so over and over. Then 100 gold is worth $15 or $450 a month while not at your computer the whole time. It just takes programming skills and knowing the market.

Chinese farmers actually play the characters the whole time and they make the equivilant to $25 an hour in China in terms of what they can buy. So, they're making a pretty good living by just playing the game. For me though, I'd be making less than minimum wage if I tried to play the whole time and sell what I earned playing. I have to rely on automated play across multiple accounts and various hacks and such to pull off the amount of money I make. So, for it to really be profitable you need to be a decent programmer and an expert game hacker.

Last edited:
Tokey-tokerson said:
Fucking WOW, and everquest. I was a god back on ultimate online, if you don't know what that is you can go to hell and die. :D

I guess you're going to Hell as well, because it was UltimA Online, not UltimaTE......Some God, you couldn't even get the name right. I wouldn't worship you as my in-game deity.