• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Woman successfully treated for depression with electrical brain implant

As luck would have it and because this hit the wires today: there was a talk on this on the BBC World Service earlier today and they interviewed the woman. She's really doing well sounds like and it's been life changing. Apparently she's had it for a year now already though.

Apparently also nothing unique i.e. implants have been tested and used for Parkinson's Disease already. What makes this so unique is how it senses when to stimulate and when not to. But seems as though there's a long way to go and a lot more testing and trials to be done before its success can be clearly determined.

There may be a podcast on BBC Sounds. If there is and I can find it I'll post it here.

i would like to try it. let me guess; first its hard to find such threatment and second it costs thousands of dollars?

i would like to try it. let me guess; first its hard to find such threatment and second it costs thousands of dollars?
Well offer your services i.e. you'll be their second trial/patient! :ROFLMAO:

The above not as ridiculous a statement as it may seem though. Not many people I know would volunteer for an experimental treatment and that involves a brain implant.

But you can bet your arse that this thing, if it ever gets approved, will cost a fuck load of money i.e. there's obviously hospitalization and whatever goes with the procedure.

And as it turns out: that's exactly what's needed. At the moment it's questionable as to exactly how much of this woman's magical recovery is due to the implant and how much is due to the placebo effect. The one or two experts I've heard commenting on this say that the change in her is too great for it to be a placebo. But then also go on to say to never underestimate the power of the placebo effect either.