• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Withdrawl sign: trouble staying awake?

Well, it's still confusing me... Today I was nodding off in the morning, which almost never happens. But still, after my afternoon dose I was fine for the rest of the day. I guess we'll see if things change as I start to decrease my dosage (right now I'm taking 5 or 6 pills a day, I want to get that down to 3 or 4 tops).

I figure 1 in the morning, half a pill after lunch, one when I get home and half before bed should be enough. And it should bring down my tolerance a bit so if I decide to splurge on the weekends I'll actually get something out of it.

Yes, dilaudid had terrible oral bioavailability, snorting it is about double. So if I want half a pill to get me through the afternoon, a crush and snort is probably my best bet. It just means I have to sneak away to the bathroom for a few minutes.

It's funny, today I decided to "kill two birds with one stone" and snort my pill while I was taking a dump. Today, the constipation was pretty bad, so I really had to squeeze that sucker out.

That's when I saw the incredible irony of the situation - there I was, pushing really hard to pump out an opiate-jammed turd, WHILE I WAS SNIFFING MORE OPIATES!

How's that for an inspirational poster??

I'd be thanking my lucky stars if sleepiness was part of withdrawl John. I think that sometimes, right at the onset of withdrawl it might be, (those little nods where you wake up feeling shite) but once your full blown into WD, sleepiness is the last thing that's gonna happen.

i agree ^.. in the beginning yeah it might make you fatigued and not want to do anything but when full blown wds set in you'll most likely be up all night breakdancing in your bed.
and when wds are over you might become depressed for a while and a symptom of depression is fatigue and not wanting to get outta bed to do anything.

Well right now the most depressing thing about my drug use is the effects have pretty much worn off. After a year and a half of daily opiate use, I guess this was inevitable.

So I figure if I were to taper down and quit now, how depressed could I possibly get? I figure for most people a big part of the depression is missing how the drugs made you feel, and right now the don't make me feel anything, so there's nothing to miss.

All I'd be missing is being forced to take a dose every 6 to 8 hours so i don't feel like shit.

Who could be depressed over leaving THAT behind?

I have a similar thing but it's not WDs for me I'm only an occasional user like 30 - 40 mgs oxycodone would make me nod like crazy at my highest ever tolerance. If I do 20 mgs I'll end up sleeping for anywhere from 24 - 36 hours and being almost completely unrousable after coming down. It's quite annoying as it effectively means I have to waste both days off a week sleeping for one night of fun. I have never tried dosing to wake myself up as I don't want to really go down that path just wondering if this happens to anyone else who only uses occasionally.

Good information from the posters above.

In my personal experiences, before I enter ''full blown withdrawal'', a period of intense lethargy resembling a ''nod'', minus the euphoria, will over come me to the point of falling asleep in front of the computer, tv, doing whatever activity it is I am at the time. Shortly after that, the yawns, lacrimation, and all the other goodies start to kick in. I strongly associate this noneuphoric, yet intensely powerful somnolence from the beginning stages of opioid withdrawal.
This.

I think why some people may not notice this is due to their dosing schedule. Some take their last dose and then go to sleep, they wake up the next day, and they're already past that stage and full withdrawal has already begun.

Yeah that's why you pretty much have to dose before bed, waking up a few hours before the alarm goes off in wd is not the best way to get a good nights sleep.

Man this is weird... When I started this thread, my afternoon snort of 4mg was enough to keep me in good shape well after I got home from work... But this week, all of a sudden, I start to feel wd kick in just 3 or 4 hours TOPS. I start getting that anxious feeling about an hour before i leave.

Snorting always wears off fastest (for me at least) but to see a reduction in "hang time" so suddenly worries me!

Well right now the most depressing thing about my drug use is the effects have pretty much worn off. After a year and a half of daily opiate use, I guess this was inevitable.

So I figure if I were to taper down and quit now, how depressed could I possibly get? I figure for most people a big part of the depression is missing how the drugs made you feel, and right now the don't make me feel anything, so there's nothing to miss.

All I'd be missing is being forced to take a dose every 6 to 8 hours so i don't feel like shit.

Who could be depressed over leaving THAT behind?

Hi John,

You know the old saying about all things in moderation? It probably applys best to opiate use. In your case, (and any really) I think it's all about being able to do it, enjoy it, yet not let it become the normal phase of your life. As much as we'd like it be, whatever become the norm, is just that, a normal state that no longer has any allure because it's lost a basis of comparison. It's a sort of Yin/Yang thing I guess. You need the lack of it, as a basis or norm, so that when you use, you feel the "difference". Your quite right about the nothing to miss when it becomes the norm, although on the way back to whatever normal is, most addicts miss it profoundly (crave) and there in lies the problem. Best of luck to you on getting off so that you might enjoy once again.

^ actually he did run out of endogenous opioids...

you don't need the "difference" to be there--sufficient technology could retain a heroin high indefinately without tolerance or dulling of its effect. we're not trying to reverse entropy we're just influencing what information hits our psyche

^ actually he did run out of endogenous opioids...

you don't need the "difference" to be there--sufficient technology could retain a heroin high indefinately without tolerance or dulling of its effect. we're not trying to reverse entropy we're just influencing what information hits our psyche

And what would that "sufficient technology" be? The only way you'll ever maintain effect or high over the long term is to increase the dose and thus tolerance.
Yes you could stay at the same dose for any amount of time, but I promise you that the effect would not remain the same. It's the nature of addiction.

Why do you think heroin addicts always complain about just getting straight or just feeling "normal"? The only way you can use on a constant (everyday) basis and continue to get high is to do more than you did to feel normal or get right. After a relatively short time, the same dose that got you high and nodding will only just hold you. That's just the nature of the beast. I wish there was a magic bullet that would let me get just as high as I did when I first started 30+ years ago. I could deal that and make a fortune. Unfortunately the only thing that works is to quit for a spell (the difference) and when you go back, for a short time your tolerance is lower. But not for long, once you've had a high tolerance.

Hm, this is odd to me because personally, I find it impossible to sleep at all at any stage of withdrawal. If I could be so tired that I couldn't stay awake, withdrawal would be so much easier for me to deal with.

Hm, this is odd to me because personally, I find it impossible to sleep at all at any stage of withdrawal. If I could be so tired that I couldn't stay awake, withdrawal would be so much easier for me to deal with.

I agree 101%. I don't understand how people can sleep through withdrawals. I would pay $5000 to sleep through my withdrawals lol.

Maybe at lke the 6 hour mark from my last dose I can sleep, but see me in 12 hours there is no fucking way possible i will be sleeping. I will be sweating my ass off throwing up

I would pay $5000 to sleep through my withdrawals lol.
you actually can. it's $6000 usually. they give you aneasthesia (so there is no suffering) and naltrexone (to speed up withdrawals). you're under for 3 days to 3 hours. it's hard to get info on the procedure because there are several places that practice it each with a unique exclusive "patent" to the practice (each will tell you they are the only one that provides X, X being whatever they call naltrexone induced withdrawal combined with aneasthesia or perhaps something different)
The only way you'll ever maintain effect or high over the long term is to increase the dose and thus tolerance
when i said sufficient tech, i meant tech we don't have yet. happiness/sadness is not relative, they are two different spectrums; when we understand their pathways enough, it is a technical matter, just like right now it is a technical matter to get those mu opioid receptors firing as like oxy but without the induced desensitization (aka zero tolerance/dependence opioids)

trouble staying awake (reply to OP)

Add another one to your list buddy. I work 9 hour shifts. I always do a hit right before I walk out the door. When it starts getting around 1-2pm, I can barely keep my eyes open. I always put the "do not disturb" tag on my office door, and do another hit around this time. I have to because honest to god if I dont, I will fall asleep. I don't plug though, I inject. Its strange because one would think that after iving 18-24mgs of Hydromorphone, it would be very sedating a few minutes after, but Im never tired until 4-5 hours after the shot wears off.

I am a special case as well though. My body metabolises the shit way faster than most people. My doctor has to prescribe me 3 Hydromorph Contin capsules per day now which are supposed to be 12 hour capsules, because one only lasts me for 6 hours. My dilaudid tablets only last me for 2-3 hours. Your lucky that they last as long as they do for you. It really sucks when one goes into withdrawal just a mere 6 hours after taking a hit.:(

This shit would cost me a fortune if I weren't prescried it.:p

I still wouldn't give up my dilaudid for anything though. When I do a hit I think "Nothing on earth should feel this damn good, its just wrong"=D

Hey Deluded, thanks for the great reply. How long have you been using? I'm at the 18 month mark. It's hard for me to go over the edge abusing, since insurance only allows me 180 pills a month.. That sounds like a lot, but 6 a day is hardly enough to seriously abuse. I go through 4 a day just to keep withdrawl away and feel normal! But I save the extra 2 per day and pile them up for the weekend when I can get a little more fun out of them.

Sounds like we have the same routine at work, only I have a longer day working till 7:30 or so. I need to push my afternoon hit as late as possible so I don't wd too bad before quitting time.

So, I usually snort 4mg at about 3:30, which was fine for the first few weeks (it all started a few months ago) but I'm starting to worry since in the last 2 weeks my afternoon hit has been waring off WAY too fast. Like today I felt wd kick in around 6! That's just crazy.

I recently found a private, 1 person restroom elsewhere in my building. If I really wanted to, that would give me the privacy I need to plug (which lasts longer than a snort) but to do that I'll need to bring a syringe, lube, etc. Talk about a pain in the ass, ha ha.

But I may have no choice if my snorts continue to ware off so fast...

You iv at work? Isn't that risky?

I don't understand how people can sleep through withdrawals.

It's strange but sometimes I can't sleep for shit but occasionally I sleep through as much withdrawals as I possibly can.
It seems to change from time to time. But yes, most of the time, I can't sleep for sheeyat :|

Ok I tried plugging at work today, what a disaster. I mean I did everything correctly, but for some reason the drugs just didn't take effect. I crushed the pill, dissolved it in warm water, sucked up the solution in a syringe and squirted it where the sun don't shine while laying down... But my withdrawls got worse than ever in the pm at work; I plugged at 3 but by 5 I was falling asleep, feeling antsy, etc. By the time I left at 7, I was in full wd, sniffling, sneezing, feeling like shit. And traffic was worse then ever, fun!

I'm guessing it was because I only stayed layed out for a little under 10 mins. They say you're supposed to lay there for at least 15 to 20 mins so the solution can be absorbed (which is what I always do), but here and there I've heard people say you don't really need to do it that long.

Wrong! I layed there a little under 10 mins and for all the effect the opiates has on me I might as well had poured them over my feet and hoped for the best.

Since I don't want to disappear from my desk for 20 mins every day, I'll have to go back to snorting, which wasn't lasting very long in the first place.

Hey, I guess I could always quit using! That would fix it.

(pause)

hahahahahahahaha.

I know plugging is just another roa maybe I am immature but I still find it funny you are doing this at work. How do you even manage that?

Ok I tried plugging at work today, what a disaster. I mean I did everything correctly, but for some reason the drugs just didn't take effect. I crushed the pill, dissolved it in warm water, sucked up the solution in a syringe and squirted it where the sun don't shine while laying down... But my withdrawls got worse than ever in the pm at work; I plugged at 3 but by 5 I was falling asleep, feeling antsy, etc. By the time I left at 7, I was in full wd, sniffling, sneezing, feeling like shit. And traffic was worse then ever, fun!

I'm guessing it was because I only stayed layed out for a little under 10 mins. They say you're supposed to lay there for at least 15 to 20 mins so the solution can be absorbed (which is what I always do), but here and there I've heard people say you don't really need to do it that long.

Wrong! I layed there a little under 10 mins and for all the effect the opiates has on me I might as well had poured them over my feet and hoped for the best.

Since I don't want to disappear from my desk for 20 mins every day, I'll have to go back to snorting, which wasn't lasting very long in the first place.

Hey, I guess I could always quit using! That would fix it.

(pause)

hahahahahahahaha.

Definitely for me when I come down I get tired and fatigued and have no energy whatsoever, its a sign of addiction that you need it to feel normal.

if u want to feel the best listen up *method*

AIIYO JOHN BURROW

My advice on how u can get tha most out of ya stuff dude - if u want to feel the best listen up - *although warning - u may be scared to try this advice, so if you're not prepared to man-up and STEP UP TO some grown-man stuff this may not be for you *

Take (swallow) the pill as prescribed my dude! If it doesn't hold you - tell your DOCTOR, and get a pill that you can swallow to hold you. You may feel a little uncomfortable for a week while you adjust, but if your doc assists with the prescript(hey dat rhymed playboy) then it will be easier than u imagine. I just can't sit here in good faith and say "snort it" or "assing it" will be a good longterm solution for you. It won't you will be "assed out" 8)*terrible pun*:|

As said actual withdrawals you won't feel sleepy, but IME the come down AS WELL as a craving and very slight initial withdrawals will cause the YAWNING, sleepyness, depressed state, lack of mental alertness. Also if you have conditioned yourself as most do with "just lemme have my meds kick in - then I'll be ready for XYZ" , then you have a physical and psychological conditioning you are battling.